No announcement yet.

StrongMan Weight Training Routines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this look? I tried to put something together like you have below.

Monday-Chest/Arms

db bench 2x5
    incline close grip bench 2x5
    barbell bench 3x10
    oh db extension 2x10
    hammer curls 2x10
    barbell curl 1x5 1x10

Wednesday Squat/DL/oly/conditioning

dl(choice) 5x2-5
    squat 2x5
    reverse hypers 2x10

Friday-Overhead/Upper back

db shoulder press 2x5 1x10
    lat pulldowns 3x5
    shrugs 2x10

Originally posted by KS Strongman View Post
    Well not saying this is right but this has been my program for quite some time:

Monday-Chest/Arms-yes I still train biceps becuase it helps keep the tendonitus away that storngman causes for me.
    some sort of flat bench-DB or barbell, Incline Close Grip, and a higher rep/low rest finisher, I hit some pressdowns and some sort of Frnech Curl/OH DB Extension, for arms once heavier curls movment and one lighter higher rep/low rep- I also stretch during this workout to not tighten up and lose flexibility

Tuesday-Squat/DL/oly/conditioning
    start out with a DL movment-rotate floor DL, platform DL, block Pulls, and trap bar, squat i rotate front, back and band-change the reps each week usually 5-6 sets of 2-5, then I rotate one oly movment a week, I go light and the whole point is to work on the explosiveness of the lift, will rotate between Powersnatch, hang snatch, power cleans, hang cleans, and snatch or clean grip high pulls, I finish up with some sort of medley, can consist of a load. carry, drag or all the above, and I do reverse hypers after this to end the night, also will throw in some grip work on this night alot of time too

Thursday-Overhead/Upper back
    Push Press or strict press-bar, log, palms facing bar
    will add in some reps on the DB press on light nights for high reps with short reps, then i do a shrug movement, an heavy Rows, then shoulder accessory stuff and pulldowns last

Saturday-Event Day
    usually depending on the contest I do 3-5 events, a carry, a load, something for grip, and log/Kbell/axle, and change it up do say heavy Yoke one week, then the next time a little ligher but with higher intensity, we do alot of say 600lb Yoke, and me and my training partners will go 3 runs of 60 back to back to back

* not saying this is the best or right way, but its worked well for me

Comment

You may want to alternate squats and deads each week... doing both every week will be VERY taxing on the CNS. But other than that, it looks ok.

Comment

Yeah we deffinitely don't do deads every week. And we rotate the style of deads. Using bands or just going heavy. Lower back gets worked on almost every move you do for strongman. Same with squats. We have a heavy night, power bands then a night where we do overheads, zerks and fronts. Variety baby, thats what makes the muscles grow. Plus keep it fresh. Did chest last night finished with farmers. Not my usual finish. As for my norm. One muscle group a day. Hit it hard and fast, no Slackin! Important groups in my opinion(legs, back and shoulders) the rest is to keep ya looking some what normal.
        Ya don't get good talkin about it!

Comment

thanks for the advice. and I was thinking that when I put it together but it seemed to short if I didn't put it in. maybe I will add some ab work in. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Workhorse View Post
          You may want to alternate squats and deads each week... doing both every week will be VERY taxing on the CNS. But other than that, it looks ok.

Comment

we do dead and Squat every week, but I back squat one week, front sqaut the next, so not always a heavy load, also do a lighter DL on the back squat nights, and heavier on the fornt squat, but that doesnt work for everyone. I feel this beating gets my CNS ready for strongman.

ST

Comment

I'll give the heavier DL's a try tonight. I do tend to get stuck in a rut on those. Also some of work out partners whine about it being to heavy. Tonight is front squats, overheads and zerks. Should be interesting as I did some stone work last night.:grumpy:
              Ya don't get good talkin about it!

Comment

New to Strongman

Hello all,

I am very new to strongman training. I am looking at competing at an event next summer in Madison. Here is the training program that I have set up:

Week 1

Monday Overheard
                Power Clean Dynamic 5 5
                Military Press Heavy 3 3
                Rear Delt Assistance 3 10
                Dips Reps 1 Max
                Cheat Curls Heavy 3 3
                Sprint Row GPP 1 3-6

Tuesday Legs
                Deadlift Heavy 5 54321
                Step-ups Reps 2 20
                Standing Calf DC 1 10-12
                Standing Crunch Heavy 3 8
                Grip Reps 3 20

Thursday Strength/Endurance
                Pullups N/A 25
                135 Deadlift 1 50
                Pushups 1 50
                High Box Jumps 1 50
                Floor Wipers 1 50
                Single Arm C+J 35lb 1 50
                Pullups N/A 25

Minimal-no rest between sets. Everything is timed, and attempt to beat time each week. Goal of under 20min

Saturday Events

Week 2
                Monday Overhead
                Push Press Heavy 3 3
                BTN Press Reps 3 12
                BB Rows Heavy 3 5
                Bench Dynamic 3 12
                Hammer Curls Reps 1 Max
                Elliptical sprint GPP 1 3-6

Tuesday Legs
                Good Morning Reps 2 12
                Standing Calf Dynamic 3 10
                Side Bends Heavy 2 10
                BB Hold Heavy Timed 2 Max
                Oly Squat Widowmaker 1 20

Pullups N/A 25
                135 Deadlift 1 50
                Pushups 1 50
                High Box Jumps 1 50
                Floor Wipers 1 50
                Single Arm C+J 35lb 1 50
                Pullups N/A 25

Minimal-no rest between sets. Everything is timed, and attempt to beat time each week. Goal of under 20min.

Saturday Events

This looks like alot of training, but I counted and it is never more than 14 sets per workout. I am open to any suggestions that people have. I know that the Strength/Endurance days are unconventional, but I see it as an excellent way to work on strength/endurance, and also train my body to flush lactic acid for competitions. I am also sure that I will get some flak for it being the published workout for "the 300", but I was thinking of ways to really up my strength and conditioning simultaneously, and I remembered reading about this workout awhile back. Seems to fit my needs very nicely.

As far as events, I currently don't have access to any of the equipment needed to train events. I am looking into whether or not my school has any of the equipment ( I know they have sleds, but I need to figure out how to get one). For now I will be doing as close an approximation to the events as I can. Each event day will consist of one lift, one walk, and one pull/push. I have a few choices here right now: I can do farmer's walk with DBs (Up to 120 anyways), I can load up one half of a barbell and bearhug/lift the plats to simulate atlas, and I can push a car. Other than that, I am not really sure what event options I have available. The big problem is that I don't have any room to store equipment, nor do I have money to purchase it. For now I am going to have to make-do and just really hope that my school has some of the stuff.

Again, I am new to this and very open to suggestions from the more experienced strongmen out there.

And now I'm off to see how well I can handle the Strength/Endurance day.

Thanks for all of the help,
                Alex Hall

Comment

Good luck, you should look into Colorado Pro Gym if you are in Colorado. They have many strongman tha train out of there.
                  I'm a Driven, Calculated, Self Motivated MACHINE!!

Comment

I'm in Wisconsin.

Comment

Your Strength/Endurance "300" day I would definitely change. I don't think that that is the kind of strength and endurance you need for strongman. I don't think deadlifting 135 50 times or one hand cleaning 35 lb dbs will really help you. I would work on more heavy static holding or walking holds with a good amount of weight for strength endurance.

Also that is not the workout that the 300 stars did, that was the test they did at the end. The gym owner/trainer for the movie stated that on his site. He said it's not to be done regularly, because it is to much.

Originally posted by FAHall View Post
                      Pullups N/A 25
                      135 Deadlift 1 50
                      Pushups 1 50
                      High Box Jumps 1 50
                      Floor Wipers 1 50
                      Single Arm C+J 35lb 1 50
                      Pullups N/A 25

Minimal-no rest between sets. Everything is timed, and attempt to beat time each week. Goal of under 20min.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts.

I was proud of myself that I managed to shave 7minutes off my time in that workout. I did end up getting so burnt out that I couldn't continue. Damn He-man complex... I always think that I will be able to do more than I really can. After not making any strength increases on the program that I had before, I have switched to a WSB inspired program. The one and only change I made to their program is to exchange overhead pressing for Bench press work. I am confident that if I stop analyzing my training and just bust my ass in the gym on this program for several months that I will get the strength gains that I want.

I am not the typical overanalyzer, but I used to be; I spent the first 3 years of my training flipping programs constantly and following the latest bodybuilding.com program. It wasn't until about 2 years ago when I discovered Madcow, Starr, and Rippetoe that I began to make the gains I wanted. I noticed that when my goals changed from aesthetics to strongman it was really easy to step into that pattern again. There was so much new information to get and my first reaction is to try and incorporate everything. I have gotten that under control now. Yet again I have learned my lesson.

I just remind myself that what I'm doing will work as long as I work hard.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Comment

My current routine goes like this:

Sun: Event Training
                          Mon: Full body conditioning workout
                          Tues: ME OH Press, Then rowing, benching and hammer curls
                          Wed: ME Safety squats, Good mornings with SSB, High step ups, reverse Hypers
                          Thurs: Full body Conditioning and Grip work
                          Fri: DE Snatch and Box Jumps, then Neutral Grip chins, Dips, and Reverse Lunges off of Step.
                          The only difference between a dream and a nightmare is how big your balls are.

Comment

Originally posted by legaljuicer View Post
                            Ok. I would like to see what others are doing for their routines. Here is the one I am using(compliments of teamsniffy)

Monday:
                            Squats 2 x 5
                            Box squats 2 x 5
                            Leg presses 1 x 20 (pick 1 of the squats + the leg presses)
                            posterior core movement 2 x 10-20reps
                            heavy abs 2 x 20
                            hips 1 x 20-25 reps
                            Calves (your choice of exercise if you like) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
                            Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)
                            hammer grip dbs 2 x 8-12 reps
                            tricep push downs 1-2 x 8-100reps. (yup 100)
                            db side laterals 1-2 x 10reps light
                            db front raises 1-2 x 10reps light
                            pull-a-parts 1-2 x 20reps

Thursday:
                            Dead lifts (rotate variations each week) 2 x 5
                            posterior core movement 2 x 10-20reps
                            heavy abs 2 x 20reps
                            rows 2 x 4-8reps
                            Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 4-8reps
                            Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8-12 reps (or your favorite curl here)
                            hammer curls or reverse curls 2 x 8-12reps
                            that's a powerlifting-style routine, NOT strongman.
                            liftism.com - the board of all boards

Comment

I wouldn't do a WSB program, because powerlifting is about lifting the most weight in the shortest path, strongman is about maximum functional strength specific to the events. WSB is great, if not the best for powerlifting, and it will make you really strong, but not in the way you need to be. You need to work more overhead pressing than bench, and squating and deadlifting are always great, but in strongman you lift awkward things. And not in the same way you would power squat because its usually for time and you don't have time to get wrapped up and get your wide stance and all, you just squat down and pick up a heavy ass rock. Just look at the stickied beginner program and work from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Workhorse View Post
                                I'm doing....................... DC
                                While doing DC do you do event training on Saturdays?
                                www.Trueprotein.com Use my discount code RRT888

www.Resultsbyrandy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X