Clear All

• contest help

Ok so i'm doing my first strongman contest Oct. 20th...the events are
    log press
    farmer's walk
    deadlift
    super yoke
    tire flip

i've done all these before and am going to start training next week, one of these a day...any tips? recommendations from some vets?

thanks,

BIX
    NAS Pennsylvania and Delaware State Chair
    2015 contests:
    Contest Info
    KBX333 @ www.trueprotein.com for 5% off your order!

Well, what are the weights in the competition and is it 1RM or for reps?

And what are your gym lifts like compared to this?

This will give a starting point on what to focus on in the next 4 weeks.

And most of all, congrats on jumping onto the competition bandwagon! Are you doing the Fairmont Athletic comp??

Comment

Originally posted by Workhorse View Post
      Well, what are the weights in the competition and is it 1RM or for reps?

And what are your gym lifts like compared to this?

This will give a starting point on what to focus on in the next 4 weeks.

And most of all, congrats on jumping onto the competition bandwagon! Are you doing the Fairmont Athletic comp??
      everything is for reps, here's the linke:

http://www.indianacountyymca.org/oktoberfest2007/

standing log press will def be the hardest as i can only press 225 for 3

tire flips is 5 up and 5 back, i've done this before, i have to time it though

farmers walk is by far one of my strongest, i have handles and walk up and down my alley for fun, lol

deadlift is 455 for reps...doable for me...only thing is they say you have to pull conventional...i do sumo, cuz of how damn tall i am, will take a little adjusting to

super yoke...never done it, have seen it though, looks fun

workhorse i sent you a pm too
      2015 contests:
      Contest Info

Comment

EVENTS:
        Log - 225 for reps
        350 tire
        225 per hand 50' x 50'
        Deadlift 455 for reps
        Yoke - 455 for 50 x 50'

One comment, NEVER do an event with a yoke that you have to turn... I do not like the injury possibility on this event. Please be careful!!

Most of the weights look very good, you should do great, as this doesn't look to be a very heavy show. If you haven't done yoke before, it is a beast unlike any other... start off with small steps and gradually increase your speed... otherwise it will be very jerky and swing you around... that's my advice.

I assume, as you stated above, you've done a log? The biggest thing is to remember to push up and back and as soon as the log clears your head, get your head through and under the log and look straight ahead, this will help with your press.

With farmers the turn is key... as your turn, and you get about 135 degrees, or about 3/4 of the way in your turn... start trying to walk forward... the weights will keep you turning but your body trying to walk forward will help stop the rotation of the weights... and allowing you to straighten out easier and be quicker.

Deadlift, well... pull hard barefooted.

Tire flip is light, so you should be able to one-motion it... the key to make up time on this event is to get down on the tire as soon as you're pushing it over. Don't wait until its on the ground to bend down for the next rep.

Comment

thats all good advice, I switched to conventional pulling when Strongman went to no Sumo, Im 6'4, I think once you get the hang of it youll be fine, and like WH said go shoeless, even a inch can make a big difference, on the Yoke one thing I like to do is when I pic I grip the crossbars and pull in, really creates a stable shelf for the Yoke, Im not big on turning with a yoke either, bad idea. Good luck, be careful strongman is addictive, haha.

ST

Comment

Originally posted by Workhorse View Post
            EVENTS:
            Log - 225 for reps
            350 tire
            225 per hand 50' x 50'
            Deadlift 455 for reps
            Yoke - 455 for 50 x 50'

One comment, NEVER do an event with a yoke that you have to turn... I do not like the injury possibility on this event. Please be careful!!

Most of the weights look very good, you should do great, as this doesn't look to be a very heavy show. If you haven't done yoke before, it is a beast unlike any other... start off with small steps and gradually increase your speed... otherwise it will be very jerky and swing you around... that's my advice.

I assume, as you stated above, you've done a log? The biggest thing is to remember to push up and back and as soon as the log clears your head, get your head through and under the log and look straight ahead, this will help with your press.

With farmers the turn is key... as your turn, and you get about 135 degrees, or about 3/4 of the way in your turn... start trying to walk forward... the weights will keep you turning but your body trying to walk forward will help stop the rotation of the weights... and allowing you to straighten out easier and be quicker.

Deadlift, well... pull hard barefooted.

Tire flip is light, so you should be able to one-motion it... the key to make up time on this event is to get down on the tire as soon as you're pushing it over. Don't wait until its on the ground to bend down for the next rep.
            thanks, that sounds like great advice, i wasn't even thinking DL barefoot

yea i have worked with a log before, it just sucks right now, working on getting it better though!

and as for the yoke, i'll keep that in mind, no turning!

Originally posted by KS Strongman View Post
            thats all good advice, I switched to conventional pulling when Strongman went to no Sumo, Im 6'4, I think once you get the hang of it youll be fine, and like WH said go shoeless, even a inch can make a big difference, on the Yoke one thing I like to do is when I pic I grip the crossbars and pull in, really creates a stable shelf for the Yoke, Im not big on turning with a yoke either, bad idea. Good luck, be careful strongman is addictive, haha.

ST
            thanks KS, i know it's getting addictive already
            2015 contests:
            Contest Info

Comment

If the log is your weak point work hard. There is a little technique but it's easier to demonstrate than to type it out. I suck at it but have been working on power cleans and snatches to improve on my explosion with the log. Its helped out alot. Big thing to remember is have a good time and give it hell. First contest I didn't have a clue and came out okay. You have a month man, work hard and do well. Good luck.
              Ya don't get good talkin about it!

Comment

Working...
              X