2007 Saskatook Ex Strongman Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Saskatook Ex Strongman Challenge

I'm helping promote and competing in a competition in early August, so I just thought I'd post it up to let everyone know. It'll be a great show and we'll be expecting upwards of 3000 people watching each day.

Day 1 - Aug.11
    Fire truck harness pull - 35,000lb truck 100'
    Max log press - 11" log, starting at 230, 20lb increases, go till you fail
    Truck Deadlift for reps - Dodge Nitro, approx. 15" pick, roughly 675lbs in hands.
    Medley - 265 farmers for 50', 500lb sled drag 50', load 200lb sandbag, 250 keg, 300 keg, and 250 fire hydrant to 40" platform (all loading implements will be 8' from platform) (this event is head to head)

Day 2 - Aug.12
    Arm over arm - 18,000lb semi truck for 80'
    Super yoke - 800lb for 80'
    Tyre Flip - 800lb for 80' (3 guys at a time)
    Atlas Stones - 240, 270, 300, 330, 360, 380 to platforms 60", 56", 52", 48", 44", and 40" respectively (head to head)

Should be a good show. 12 guys, good prize money ($1500 for first), hotels covered for out of town athletes, a couple free meals, etc.
    Last edited by Workhorse; 07-27-2007, 10:28 AM.

This competition went on this weekend, and it turned out extremely well. I finished 6 and made $300. Not bad...lol.

Day 1

Fire truck harness pull... went really well. Through the rope away at the end about 8 feet too soon and lost a second probably, but still awesome. Placed 5th, and the top 5 were only 3.5 seconds apart.

Log Press: Still my worst weakpoint, only pressing 260 on the 11" log. Winner did 335. I was 7th or something on this.

Jeep Patriot Deadlift for reps: horrible for me. I was expecting 6 reps and only got 2. The harness took a lot out of my legs and I felt weak. Oh well.. not bad... 6th on this I think.

Medley: 650 lb drag for 50', and load 165 sandbag, 200 keg, 240 keg, and 240 fire hydrant onto 40" platform 15' away. Did well, but slow on the drag as I was slipping on the surface. On the fire hydrant, I dropped it onto the platform and it bounced funny and came down on my right hand breaking my scaphoid bone (sp?). 6th place.

Day 2 - Competed despite breaking my hand
    Farmers Walk: 265 for 160'm turn at 80'. Not bad, grip was brutal because of the broken hand, but manage to do 140 feet and finish in 6th before time ran out.

Yoke - 800lb yoke for 80'. This is my worst event, always has been... only got 61' in 75 seconds... brutal. Something like 8th on this.

Tyre flip - 800lb for 80'. Very tough tires - brand new but extremely hard to flip. 10 finished the course, I got 7 flips in 75seconds. Only 3 guys finished the course. And tops was in 59 seconds. I think I was 6th in this.

Stones: 240 to 60", 270 to 56", 300 to 52", 330 to 48", 360 to 44", and 380 to 40". I did well on this, one-motioned the 240 and 270, then loaded the 300 and 330 and almost lapped the 360 a couple of times but just couldn't get it. Only 4 guys finished, and I was 5th with the first four stones.

Final placing was 6th place and a good showing. The farmers walk really hurt my hand, and tyre and stones didn't help it, but it turned out really well and I'm relatively pleased with my performance.

The Saskatoon Exhibition was really happy with everything, and they want us back next year. We're going to meet in a few weeks to go over this show and set up meetings to plan next year's comp.

Comment

awesome job workhorse, fire truck harness pull is crazy!
      NAS Pennsylvania and Delaware State Chair
      2015 contests:
      Contest Info
      KBX333 @ www.trueprotein.com for 5% off your order!

Comment

Thanks man. I have a bunch of pictures... I'll try to post some up tonight. The fire truck was a 1948 B-125 Mack Truck... nothing but solid steel - no fiberglass or aluminum on that thing!! lol

Comment

Here are a few photos... haven't had time to get the videos onto youtube yet but I promise they're coming...
          Attached Files

Comment

A few more...
            Attached Files

Comment

No one liked the photos? Hmmm.

Comment

Oh, hey you added photos cool!

What kind of shorts/equipment where you wearing in the atlas stone lift? (Or where they just plain shorts?) Look like something out of a lifting suit.

Those helium/gas tanks looked interesting for the farmers walk.
                Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

Originally posted by Workhorse View Post
                  No one liked the photos? Hmmm.
                  i liked em, good work!:peace:
                  NAS Pennsylvania and Delaware State Chair
                  2015 contests:
                  Contest Info
                  KBX333 @ www.trueprotein.com for 5% off your order!

Comment

Originally posted by Creator_11 View Post
                    Oh, hey you added photos cool!

What kind of shorts/equipment where you wearing in the atlas stone lift? (Or where they just plain shorts?) Look like something out of a lifting suit.

Those helium/gas tanks looked interesting for the farmers walk.
                    Those are Rehband shorts. I think every strongman out there wears 'em. They're not a squat brief, but they just keep everything warm. I especially have horrible hip flexibility so these help keep things warm and loose while I'm competing. I have them on for every event, I just took the pants off for stones cause it was getting too warm out.

Originally posted by BIX View Post
                    i liked em, good work!:peace:
                    Thanks man!! You're journal is lookin' killer lately. Good work.

Comment

Congrats man!
                      The Dude abides.

Tired of your girl leaving you for the guy with bigger biceps??? Use code MTE200 at trueprotein.com and put some meat on those bones!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Workhorse View Post
                        Those are Rehband shorts. I think every strongman out there wears 'em. They're not a squat brief, but they just keep everything warm. I especially have horrible hip flexibility so these help keep things warm and loose while I'm competing. I have them on for every event, I just took the pants off for stones cause it was getting too warm out.

Thanks man!! You're journal is lookin' killer lately. Good work.

Let me know where a good place to get them is if you don't mind . I'm interested, I already have knee wraps which I like to wear off and on that help big time in keeping my knees warm. The usual weight belt and chalk.

Any other equipment you recommend to keep on hand during events?
                        Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

Originally posted by Creator_11 View Post
                          Let me know where a good place to get them is if you don't mind . I'm interested, I already have knee wraps which I like to wear off and on that help big time in keeping my knees warm. The usual weight belt and chalk.

Any other equipment you recommend to keep on hand during events?
                          jackalsgym.com is where everyone finds Rehband. They have new stock in I believe and they are a touch thinner than the originals but the reviews have come back great. That site is run by Karl Gillingham, who I'm sure you've heard of... if you're unsure about the measuring, call him directly (the number is on the site) and he'll help you out.

As for other stuff.... this is what I have in my training bag:
                          Chalk
                          Tacky (also from jackalsgym.com)
                          Lifting straps (APT)
                          Wrist wraps (APT)
                          Knee wraps (APT)
                          Knee sleevs (Rehband)
                          Shorts (Rehband)
                          Olympic lifting shoes (Doowin)
                          Rock Climbing shoes (5.11)
                          Log Book

I think that's everything.

Comment