Western Canadian STrongman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Canadian STrongman...

Well, I've been "gone" for about a month or two from here, as I was focusing on getting ready for the Western Canadian Strongman Champioship.

There were 12 athletes that competed from across Western Canada, and I missed the top 5 by only 1/2 a point!! This is only my second season competing and my 4th contest, so I was pretty happy. I bombed on one event and took a 0, giving up approximately 6 points and 5th place outright. All in all it was a great show!!

Event 1
    18,000 Semi truck arm over arm for 80'
    I hadn't ever done a truck pull with more than one truck (half ton at maybe 5000 lbsfor 50'... but I gave it my all and I knew that my grip would be my saving grace. I have a naturally strong grip for a guy my size. I finished the course in 1 min 1 sec.. 1 second behing 4th place, and only 3 seconds behind 3rd place. Good start.

Event 2
    OHP Medley
    I had trained with this equipment two weeks prior and it all felt fine, but the truck pull killed my leg drive and I bombed on the entire event taking a zero as I just couldn't get it going. The implements were a 185 field stone, 225 BB, 240 Keg, 255 axle, 285 log, and 320 log. Two weeks prior, I got everything except the two logs... BIG dissappointment here for me... but a learning experience. Just a note, 6 people took a zero on this... the field stone was VERY awkward!!

Event 3
    600 DL for reps
    This event they gave everyone a chance to pull 600 for reps, and anyone who didn't get a rep got a chance to pull 500 for reps to figure out the bottom placings. The last time I deadlifted (7 weeks ago) I pulled 585 for a rough single. So I figured pulling one rep with 600 would be my goal... well, I pulled it EASILY and stopped, not realizing until I said I was done and waved to the crowd, that I could have easily pulled 2 more reps, maybe 3. Grrr... gave up a point on this event as well - as one guy pulled two reps and a tie with him would have put me into 5th overall.

Event 4
    Atlas Stones all to 50", 270, 300, 330, 370, 380
    I had the best time on the first two stones as that was my focus because I knew the heat was getting to everyone and the tacky was basically useless. I knew that I had to be fast on two, and then hopefully I would get the 330 to get a few extra points. I got the 330 to the lip of the platform and went to adjust it, and the spotter wasn't pushing against the platform and it tilted back and the stone dropped. I was pissed and told him so, but I had a quick time on the first two stones and placed well.

Event 5
    265 Farmers for 80' and 750 tire flip for 80'
    I picked the 265 easily but realized I had gripped too far backwards and the cylinders were pointing down too much, so I just dropped them, quickly regripped and pulled and went the 80' with no drops. A competitor had completed 5 flips with the tyre and my goal was to beat him, and I knew I had time, so I calmly pumped out 7 flips before time was up... 3 flips short of the full 80'.

Good performance for me. I'm sad I screwed up in a few places, but that's my inexeperience coming out... next time I'll do better... but nonetheless, I had a blast and I did very well. Top 6 in Western Canada ain't bad.

Oh BTW, I'm only 5'11" and 238lbs, and the top 5 averaged 6'1 and 297lbs.

dude thats fantastic stuff!!!

congrats....

Comment

Thanks Sen!!

Comment

Originally posted by Workhorse View Post
        Thanks Sen!!
        what kind of training do u like to do for strong man? what does u rotuine cover (whcih lifts)? how do u plan progression?

Comment

ya, tell me more, those #'s are impressive as hell.

you know, you should post this in the strongman sub forum...

OH WAIT, NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT ADDING A STRONGMAN FORUM HERE!! WTF WAS I THINKING?!?!?!

To save 5% on your TrueProtein.com purchase, use discount code: DAS235
          --------------------------------------

SUCCESS = CONSISTENCY X TIME
          - Sniffy54

--------------------------------------
          "Consistency can take you a long way"
          - Homonunculus

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel View Post
            what kind of training do u like to do for strong man? what does u rotuine cover (whcih lifts)? how do u plan progression?
            I do a lot of periodized westside training focusing on max's... but also rotate a week a month in doing a couple sets maxing out at 6-8 reps to maintain strong high rep numbers. 3x a week in the gym, one day on the weekend for events.

The only big difference is that I don't really train Bench press, I focus on shoulder by using BB, axle and log for overhead press and work those and my triceps hard (close grip 3 board bench etc).

Originally posted by dellsguy67 View Post

OH WAIT, NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT ADDING A STRONGMAN FORUM HERE!! WTF WAS I THINKING?!?!?!

LOL No worries

Comment

Originally posted by Workhorse View Post
              I do a lot of periodized westside training focusing on max's... but also rotate a week a month in doing a couple sets maxing out at 6-8 reps to maintain strong high rep numbers. 3x a week in the gym, one day on the weekend for events.

The only big difference is that I don't really train Bench press, I focus on shoulder by using BB, axle and log for overhead press and work those and my triceps hard (close grip 3 board bench etc).
              thank you for the information sir

Comment

Originally posted by dellsguy67 View Post

If you look hard enough you might find it.

Enjoy! :peace:
                Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel View Post
                  thank you for the information sir
                  No worries... I know a lot of guys are shy about posting how they train, and what they eat etc... but not me.

Comment

wow - awesome stuff WH!!!! well done and congrats!
                    "The only person that gains from massive steroid use is the dealer" - Lee Priest

"I did shag an older 'milf type' recently - 35-36ish - thats about the oldest! I like how with the older ones there are less games. A bit saggier, but better technique." - Redskull

"I've never been caught wanking." - IronBrendan

"my poop shoot was clogged up tighter than a nun's happy place." - DuckDuckGoose

"my nipples look like torpedo's and I can't get Pink's "Stupid girls" out of my head" - Redskull

Comment

Thanks bud!

Comment

calm flips?

Comment

Originally posted by bigNate View Post
                          calm flips?
                          No need to rush... I had time. :moon:

Comment

Just got a chance to read this. Great job man! Sunlovin owns my computer these days. I don't get to many chances to look these days. I'm focused on next month's nationals. I'll try and remember clam flips. So are you the smallest heavy weight or the biggest light weight? I hover at 230. Thried this game at 245 those big guys are way to strong!
                            Ya don't get good talkin about it!

Comment

Originally posted by brotherdarryl View Post
                              Just got a chance to read this. Great job man! Sunlovin owns my computer these days. I don't get to many chances to look these days. I'm focused on next month's nationals. I'll try and remember clam flips. So are you the smallest heavy weight or the biggest light weight? I hover at 230. Thried this game at 245 those big guys are way to strong!
                              I'm basically the smallest heavyweight... I could probably cut down to 231 but there's no point right now as we only hold open competitions - which means no weight classes. You come, you compete, that's it.

Comment

Working...
                              X