Back With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back With

A question for the round table, when it comes to back with which would you say contributes most to the development of a nice wide back? Doing a pulling up movement (i.e. Chins), or a pulling down movement (i.e. Lat pull downs).
    "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
    2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
    2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
    2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
    2002 NPC Western Carolina:
    2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Back with what?... (Just kidding. I had to mention it b/c I know Sammich is boiling over...)

It depends on the person and which exercises work for them. I personally don't think you can make a blanket statement. Heck, a person who can barely do a pull-up (or a chin) probably won't get very far using them (unless assisted) for developing lat size, so pull-downs will be their only option.

Frankly, though, on the average, I'd be willing to be that the guys (and women) doing pull-ups on a regular basis will have better (wider back) than those who don't do pull-ups or chins (or haven't in the past), so I'll take pull-ups as the better back width builder. Simply because to be able to do pull-ups for reps, you have to have or have to have developed a certain degree of strength and lat size, makes pull-ups more of an assurance of better lat width. In other words, take the guys who can bang out 20 pull-ups (and probably do them weighted as well) and compare with those who can't get 10 pull-ups (or chins) and you can guess which group will have the better backs.

Again, though, I don't think you can generalize to everyone. I don't recall seeing Ronnie Coleman or Dorian Yates doing pull-ups, but I know Dave H. used to do them every back workout (several sets) for years when developing his base, just to start off the training session. Dave's got a pretty damn good back, IMO.

(V1hyp, can I assume you're asking about yourself here?...)

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

My back is my best bodypart and I credit pull ups and deads to that greatly. I started out barely being able to get 6 good pullups, but after working hard for a couple years I have gotten up to 6 reps with 70 lbs hanging and about 25+ reps without weight. The interesting thing is that at one time I was doing them every day and my back grew quite a bit. As long as your not overtaxing the nervous system this can be a great approach to bring up a weak back, just stay shy of failure. My goal was always 50 reps per session spread out into however many sets I needed.

edit: whoops I'm not a part of the round table. I posted when I saw the question without seeing where it was at.
      Last edited by Doberman; 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM.
      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

The only pulldowns I like are reverse grip and close grip. Pull ups are indeed necessary. The problem is that 99% of the people I see do either one are using mostly arms and shoulders and not back. So more so then the exercise itself technique is the main factor in developing your width. I'm at the point that at the end of a back workout I feel no direct bicep pump. Unlike chest where triceps will always be a major player on pushing biceps can be taken out to a greater extent from the movements.
        Carlos Rodriguez
        IFBB Pro League BBer
        IFBB Pro League Judge
        NPC National Judge
        As iron sharpens iron so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Prov 27:17
        www.facebook.com/PastorPump

Comment

A question in regards to this ( and trying not to side track the original topic ) but how do you feel about exercise order for bringing up back width, doing pull ups/pull downs first and rowing movements second or rowing movements first fallowed by pull ups/pull downs ( I realize everyone is different I just mean generally speaking in your guys opinions )?

Comment

pull ups seem to usually add more width than pull downs. that said when doing volume training i will do pull ups, bb rows, v/reverse bar pull downs, and either another row or cable pull overs (i would dead with legs and squats). i would try to get a pull up and a pull down and two rows every back workout.

Comment

depends on strength levels. I usually do pullups at the end so I don't have to hang weight around my waist. I use close grip or reverse grip pulldowns first to warm up then move on to deads and rows and finish with the pull ups.
              Carlos Rodriguez
              IFBB Pro League BBer
              IFBB Pro League Judge
              NPC National Judge
              As iron sharpens iron so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Prov 27:17

Comment

Thanks for the reply Pastor, are you using the pulldowns first to pre exhaust your lats?

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread v1hyp, I haven't purpose done pullups for reps in well over a year . . . pullups for reps, the common theme so far!

- Be able to do pullups for reps, and don't train to failure
                  - If pull-ups (non-weighted) are too easy, put them later in the workout

Thanks for your ideas y'all.

Comment

Anytiem. Yes , I use it as somewhat of a pre-ex just like I always start shoulders with machine or cable side laterals. I like having the target muscle warmed up and with some pump before hitting the power movements. It might be an age thing...lol
                    Originally posted by View 1 View Post
                    Thanks for the reply Pastor, are you using the pulldowns first to pre exhaust your lats?
                    Carlos Rodriguez
                    IFBB Pro League BBer
                    IFBB Pro League Judge
                    NPC National Judge

Comment

Originally posted by btech View Post
                      Thanks for starting this thread v1hyp, I haven't purpose done pullups for reps in well over a year . . . pullups for reps, the common theme so far!

- Be able to do pullups for reps, and don't train to failure
                      - If pull-ups (non-weighted) are too easy, put them later in the workout

Thanks for your ideas y'all.
                      Your welcome!! Some good info being posted!!
                      "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                      2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                      2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                      2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                      2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                      2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Working...
                      X