• Q and A with Round Table Expert PastorPump

Thanks for taking this on, PP!

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Thank you Skip. Its a penny for my thoughts but I'm running a 50%off this month so take advantage...lol.
    Carlos Rodriguez
    IFBB Pro League BBer
    IFBB Pro League Judge
    NPC National Judge
    As iron sharpens iron so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Prov 27:17
    www.facebook.com/PastorPump

Comment

Carlos, are you doing the Arnold again?....I owe you a dinner.
      Last edited by Doberman; 09-19-2011, 11:39 PM.
      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

PastorPump, what does your training look like, and what type of training do you tend to stick to (ie volume, DC, etc.)?

Thanks!

Comment

Hey Dave. That is a possbility I'll know for sure by next month.
          As far as my methods I guess its a hybrid of HIT methods. Just like that quote you have of Dober thats the secret. I use mainly Dorians Style but I use so many other techniques that I have learned from others. whether its some DC principles, rest pause, half reps or (x reps as some have renamed). Single sets or drop sets. I also to different positions of flexion- pre strech, Mid point, and peak contraction movements.
          The most important thing is that journal that lets you know if its working. If that isn't showing progress then tweek things. For me instead of adding sets I usually take out and add intensity.
          Carlos Rodriguez
          IFBB Pro League BBer
          IFBB Pro League Judge
          NPC National Judge
          As iron sharpens iron so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Prov 27:17

Comment

Carlos, what kind of diet strategies do you generally prefer...low fat, low carb, carb cycling, cheat meals, all clean, etc.
            CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
            MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
            2010 NGA Pro Universe
            2010 NPC Monster Mash
            2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
            2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
            2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
            2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
            2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
            2008 NPC Ohio State
            2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

Offseason...burgers and piza..lol. j/k. I like to carb cycle to an extent. Nothing to drastic either way and my cheat days are usually the high carb stuff like in a refeed. Unnecessary fats are kept low but I add in the healthy kind so I keep it at a 50-30-20. Thats pre-contest. Offseason I keep the same meal schedule just add in carbs and more dark meat. My schedule hasn't changed in 10 years in regards to food.
              Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
              Carlos, what kind of diet strategies do you generally prefer...low fat, low carb, carb cycling, cheat meals, all clean, etc.
              Carlos Rodriguez
              IFBB Pro League BBer
              IFBB Pro League Judge
              NPC National Judge

Comment

Hi PastorPump -

What are some of your tips to help prevent/avoid training injuries? Higher rep ranges? stretching? warm-up? longer recovery time? Thx.
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

First , having that log will give you a reasonable idea of what you should attempt if you want to go heavier. At my age I try not to go below 6 reps anymore and about 8 + on pressing movements. Warm up are like 45 minutes for a 15 minute workout .lol Take your time warming up but don't tire yourself out with countless 15-20 rep sets. Stretch a little pre but mostly post.
                  Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                  Hi PastorPump -

What are some of your tips to help prevent/avoid training injuries? Higher rep ranges? stretching? warm-up? longer recovery time? Thx.
                  Carlos Rodriguez
                  IFBB Pro League BBer
                  IFBB Pro League Judge
                  NPC National Judge

Comment

What do feel is a good mixture of volume and intensity without pushing the limits to far into over training ( generally speaking total volume and how many advance techniques used, or anything you feel is relevant )?

How would you recommend someone adding in more intensity ( rest pause, drop sets etc ) into their routine that is not use to doing more advanced methods?

Comment

As far as volume that can vary slightly between people. Again, if the log book shows progress then we push forward but if not we cut back. I do 3-4 exercises for large muscles with 2 work sets. one med low rep ,another higher rep.
                      As far as adding intensity drop sets are cool but rest pause is killer. I do a rest pause on incline flies and its brutal! If you train alone rest pause on a hammer strength works great or even half reps to finish off a work set.
                      Originally posted by View 1 View Post
                      What do feel is a good mixture of volume and intensity without pushing the limits to far into over training ( generally speaking total volume and how many advance techniques used, or anything you feel is relevant )?

How would you recommend someone adding in more intensity ( rest pause, drop sets etc ) into their routine that is not use to doing more advanced methods?
                      Carlos Rodriguez
                      IFBB Pro League BBer
                      IFBB Pro League Judge
                      NPC National Judge

Comment

Also, letter came in...Arnold Amateur is on!
                        Carlos Rodriguez
                        IFBB Pro League BBer
                        IFBB Pro League Judge
                        NPC National Judge

Comment

Originally posted by pastorpump View Post
                          As far as volume that can vary slightly between people. Again, if the log book shows progress then we push forward but if not we cut back. I do 3-4 exercises for large muscles with 2 work sets. one med low rep ,another higher rep.
                          As far as adding intensity drop sets are cool but rest pause is killer. I do a rest pause on incline flies and its brutal! If you train alone rest pause on a hammer strength works great or even half reps to finish off a work set.
                          Thank you for the reply. I prefer RP over drop sets, forced reps etc... but I have never done them on a regular basis, I have always just played with rep ranges and different ways to approach them ( ramping, straight sets, reverse pyramid etc ).

Interesting about the two sets as well, I have been reading more and more about people doing reverse pyramids some with 2 sets some with 3, and it makes alot of sense to me, I may start doing that with a couple exercises and see how it works for me then go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by pastorpump View Post
                            Also, letter came in...Arnold Amateur is on!
                            Congrats!

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thank you sir.
                              Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                              Congrats!

Skip

On another note here is a little tip for some of the beginners or maybe a few people with some slow responding muscle groups.
                              IsoTension and isometrics have been a huge help in getting lagging groups to respond. It can be done not only by posing but also like this:
                              1. Lets say it shoulders. Take a 5lb dumbbell and hold it to the sides at a contracted side lateral position (correct form is obviously important) try to increase hold times from workout to workout. Once you can hold for 60 seconds bump it up.
                              2. Bis I like to hold either a barbell or cable curl at the top position.

This technique does wonders to build that mind muscle connection . Little by little you will get a better feel for the muscle during the course of your regular workout.
                              Carlos Rodriguez
                              IFBB Pro League BBer
                              IFBB Pro League Judge
                              NPC National Judge

Comment

Working...
                              X