This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q and A with IFBB Pro Dave Henry

Ask Dave questions about training, nutrition, supplementation, etc, and get answers directly from Dave.

I will go first:

When you go to an amusement park, are you tall enough to ride the roller coasters?

Who is darker, you or Skip?

In a fist fight, who would win, you or your wife (and don't lie cuz I know your wife)?

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

What's your (alcoholic) drink of choice?

How many cows do you think you've devoured over the years?

What's your dream car?
    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

How does your diet vary when you are deployed versus back in the States?

What does your diet look like year round? For example, do you generally stay strict or do you have phases where your just consumer massive quantities of food?

What is your favorite bodybuilding meal? And what is your favorite cheat meal?
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Does Homon's carpet match his drapes?

What is your least favorite lift?

Having ginormous legs, do you have to be careful when you get into machines (or sit on anything for that matter) where your legs are close together so you don't sit on, or crush your nuts between your legs?

Is your toilet closer to the ground?
        2010 NPC North Star

Comment

LOL @ "is your toilet paper closer to the ground". LOLOL

Okay, I do suppose I shouldn't set a bad example to let Dave's Q and A get off on the wrong foot.

Much appreciated for taking on this Q and A, Dave.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Dave I'd be interested in hearing about what your favorite exercises are for chest to rest pause, and also back width and thickness exercises.

Thanks!
            Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
              Ask Dave questions about training, nutrition, supplementation, etc, and get answers directly from Dave.

I will go first:

When you go to an amusement park, are you tall enough to ride the roller coasters?
              Yep, I meet the cutoff! I think it's 4'10", so my mom can't get on the rides though! This shit is too funny, but I don't like roller coasters anyways so, next question!

Who is darker, you or Skip?
              I think Skip would be considered darker. I am more of that Almond Mocha blend without artificial sweeteners!

In a fist fight, who would win, you or your wife (and don't lie cuz I know your wife)?
              I would win, only because I have a nasty mean streak and I do and have fought in the past, with an itty bitty anger management problem!:insane:However, my wife has never ever been in a physical altercation, but I would guess that if I fucked up bad enough, she'd just kill me in my sleep!
              Skip
              Let's keep this going, it's really funny!

-DH
              www.toopumped.net
              7 X IFBB champion

"Do something productive, instead of talking about those that are"
              -DH

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
                What's your (alcoholic) drink of choice?
                I'm a beer drinker by way of how I grew up and when I BBQ. BUT when I'm not prepping for anything, it would be anything with Tequila in it! Although my wife almost had to ban the ingestion of that because I get frisky and look for table legs to attack! I'm better now, I swear!
                How many cows do you think you've devoured over the years?
                Holy jeez, umm....figure you get what...couple two,tree hundred pounds out of that animal, on the low end...? In the contest mode, I eat about 2.5-3lbs of beef a day. So roughly 100 servings of cow per contest diet. Compete two to three times a year, times 9yrs...somewhere about 18 bovines have lost their tasty lives to help me win contests!
                What's your dream car?
                I'm a gearhead, and with that, I have one car in mind and it may be something I can come crazy close to. I would choose a "new" 1966 Carroll Shelby Cobra (they built a limited amount some time ago), with a sick-ass injected 460 Ford, 7-800hp, 500ftlb torque and orginal Halibrand wheels but widened for 335 wide tires on the back to keep that madness under control!
                Yup, that'll do it!

-DH
                www.toopumped.net
                7 X IFBB champion

-DH

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  How does your diet vary when you are deployed versus back in the States?
                  As some may guess, it's not easy at all to stick with "diet" foods while on a military deployment. It lacks control and I am a control freak with my food, but I need to let that go for these events. I will try my damndest to follow what I can as closely as I can. However, I have the option to have cheat meals very easy. When these deployments happen I just relax my standards and train as hard as I can to offset the crap they serve in the dining facilities. They have gotten better though at offering suitable options. It's still cooked by someone else and they still use unknown cooking agents to prep it, so you take your chances. I walk a lot to keep from getting fat and out of shape and when I can, I tailor my needs based on what I am doing that day. Simply put, the military has no intentions to place bodybuilder friendly foods at the top of the list for troops. It's "we have to feed 10,000 people, so we'll make stuff that can be done in large batches". It's cost effective and simple to do. At those points, I'm just wanting to keep a maintenance level and not attempting to gain a whole lot. I'm there to do a job and inadvertently kill the bad guy, if the need arises, so some grease and lard may help me survive in the event of a food shortage!

What does your diet look like year round? For example, do you generally stay strict or do you have phases where your just consumer massive quantities of food?
                  I am only strict for contest prep. I have been given the relaxed standards to eat big during the non competing part of the year. I just watch my fat intake, that's about it. I'm not sodium sensitive and I'm not a big carb eater, so that opens my diet up for some serious options! And Yes, I try to consume massive quantities of food during my growing period, which is typically Oct-March and it usually runs the range of 4k-8k cal on a non-consistent scale. My concensus is that maintaining a strict diet through the whole year kills progress and does this to the body...nothing! If you are constantly on a strict plan year around, when does your body know when you are dieting? So then you get the people who say they "eat clean" all year and then hit a contest diet and look like nothing is changing. That's my take on it, I know there are differing trains of thought here so that's mine!

What is your favorite bodybuilding meal? And what is your favorite cheat meal?
                  My favorite BB meal is simple. I love Jasmine rice and ground turkey with soy sauce and a splenda mixed in. My favorite cheat meal is really not a cheat meal by most standards! I have grown to love Sushi and I have it when the possibilities allow, especially my roll "The DH roll":hailJust saying!)
                  Thanks for the great questions, I hope I answered them close to what you wanted.

-DH
                  www.toopumped.net
                  7 X IFBB champion

-DH

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
                    Does Homon's carpet match his drapes?
                    Well.....we're cool, but we ain't that cool!

What is your least favorite lift?
                    That would be Barbell Squats. I so don't like those things and I wish I could grow to love them, but nope, don't!

Having ginormous legs, do you have to be careful when you get into machines (or sit on anything for that matter) where your legs are close together so you don't sit on, or crush your nuts between your legs?
                    While you're Bullshittin', I have actually done just that! It happened during rack chins. I was under the bar and Scott loaded the weight up on my lap and the pressure caused my quads to give the ballz a not-so-gentle smash effect! If you watch closely (no homo!) you can actually see me pull the boys out of the way on many different exercises that this has happened on. Especially on close stance leg press...no good!

Is your toilet closer to the ground?
                    Nope, any lower and I'd fall over! I get just enough height for my feet to touch the floor and quads at a nice 90deg angle. However if I get any bigger I may need a shorter one to rest my feet on the floor as my hamstrings get huge!
                    Thanks bro!

-DH
                    www.toopumped.net
                    7 X IFBB champion

-DH

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      Dave I'd be interested in hearing about what your favorite exercises are for chest to rest pause, and also back width and thickness exercises.

Thanks!

Thanks bro. I love any upper chest exercise. My favorite ones are Incline Hammer Strength, Low incline smith machine bench press. I prefer those just due to keeping the upper pecs full and filled in from all angles. For my back width, it would have to be Parallel grip pulldowns or Shoulder width pullups with weight around waist. It may just be me, but that feeling like your armpits are gonna rip out, just rocks! For back thickness, that would be Underhand BB rows either free weight or on a Smith machine. I feel they hit my back the deepest and I would attribute those exercises to my dense back development
                      Great questions man, thank you.

-DH
                      www.toopumped.net
                      7 X IFBB champion

-DH

Comment

Hi Dave, what exercises do you like to use for your lower chest? To really get that separation between the chest and abdomen? Thx
                        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                          Hi Dave, what exercises do you like to use for your lower chest? To really get that separation between the chest and abdomen? Thx
                          I don't specifically target lower chest areas but I do believe you need to hit it with something different for a response. I use Dips with chin tucked in, Cable scoop fly's and Pec dec presses with hands down on the low section of the handle to where you are gripping slightly below the nipple line when viewed in the mirror.
                          Try those out and tell me what you think.

-DH
                          www.toopumped.net
                          7 X IFBB champion

-DH

Comment

Jessica Alba, Sofia Vergara, Scarlett Johansson. You gotta kill one, marry one, fuck one. GO! (And why)

Alright and now for the easier questions...

What's the biggest mistake you see bodybuilders make these days? And it doesn't have to be just about training or diet, maybe approach or philosophy as well.

If there was one thing you can change about your life/past, what would it be?

What's the one thing about you that would shock us?

What advice would you give a 20-something year old? What advice would you give a 30-something year old? (NOT bodybuilding, fitness, health related)

What's your philosophy on women?

Who would you say in the bodybuilding community, amateur or pro, works harder than you and why? (If there are any)
                            Max Muscle
                            5020 Katella Ave.
                            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

How often are you training now a days? Off Season vs. Contest prep. Do you think DC training can be flexible enough to fit into an every other day schedule? Perhaps using the the 3 way split?
                              1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                              2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                              2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                              2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                              2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                              2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
                              X