Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Carb Cycling

Hello all,

I don't really understand how to plan a carb cycling diet. Could someone please explain the basics of what it is and how to schedule it on training and non-training days? It's important that I lose fat! I have okay strength but really want to drop fat and try to stay the same strength.
    A little about me-5'9", 297 pounds, 43% bodyfat (terrible, I know but down from 47% since Feb and have gained 5 pounds of lean muscle from the same time).
    Bench-330
    Squat-365
    Deadlift-405

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Originally posted by tragdor View Post
    Hello all,

I don't really understand how to plan a carb cycling diet. Could someone please explain the basics of what it is and how to schedule it on training and non-training days? It's important that I lose fat! I have okay strength but really want to drop fat and try to stay the same strength.
    A little about me-5'9", 297 pounds, 43% bodyfat (terrible, I know but down from 47% since Feb and have gained 5 pounds of lean muscle from the same time).
    Bench-330
    Squat-365
    Deadlift-405

watch this vid....

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.a...=59197&tid=141

if its not justin harris talking about nutrition then its not the one.... im at work and cant look at youtube.... but im pretty sure its the one.
    "BBing should be a lifetime pursuit or are you are missing the point . Make that in your plans from the very begining .Take it as far as you wish [ and genetics will allow ] , but don't miss what bbing is suposed to be about .Or you really will be missing out ....." - IABADMAN

Use JSB982 as your discount code at trueprotein.com and recieve 5% discount on all orders.

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/bsform.pdf = link to strongman comp augest 8th in norfolk, va

Comment

Originally posted by MilitaryMuscle View Post
      watch this vid....

if its not justin harris talking about nutrition then its not the one.... im at work and cant look at youtube.... but im pretty sure its the one.
      Great videos, I appreciate it!

Comment

no problem..... basically anything you do will make you lose weight at 40+ % so just start eating healthy and expending calories at this point.... theres no need to go on a crazy diet or anything

just eat lean meets/protein in every meal, good complex carbs(not to many though), veggies, some healthy fats....

if you were to just drink water and stop eating things out of a box/processed foods.... you would be on the right track.

if you dont kow what healthy is just ask.
        Last edited by MilitaryMuscle; 09-19-2007, 06:29 AM.
        "BBing should be a lifetime pursuit or are you are missing the point . Make that in your plans from the very begining .Take it as far as you wish [ and genetics will allow ] , but don't miss what bbing is suposed to be about .Or you really will be missing out ....." - IABADMAN

Use JSB982 as your discount code at trueprotein.com and recieve 5% discount on all orders.

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/bsform.pdf = link to strongman comp augest 8th in norfolk, va

Comment

2 good rules are only buy food from the perimiter of the grocery store, and if you cant pick it, kill it or grow it, dont eat it. you cant go pick a poptart from a tree or you cant kill some reeces cups

Comment

This is all great information. I will be utilizing all of these basic ideas to help me shed the fat. Thanks a lot guys!

Comment

Personally, when I started my first precontest diet I was force feeding myself at the beginning and still losing weight and I was only 8-9% BF to begin. But all I ate were egg whites, chicken breasts, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and then some cashews or almonds for fats. Oh and of course some good greens such as broccoli, spinach, pickles, etc. Use zero calorie sweeteners and cinnamon for your oatmeal and use zero calorie spices and no condiments or sugar and that will pretty much make you lose a ton of weight without even working out, so keep working out and you will shed the pounds like crazy. Drink only water and a lot of it. That helps too.

Comment

Originally posted by tragdor View Post
                Hello all,

Bench-330
                Squat-365
                Deadlift-405

I was once in a simlar position as you are I was 6'4' Well over 300lbs and clinicly obest. I just made sure that I consumed my calories base on my BMR, I consumed a ratio of 60/30/20. This worked for ME, Once I got down to about 15%bf, I had to use Keto diet to end at 210lb at about 8% BF. Only time I cycled my carbs was when I started a Keto Diet and I tapper my carbs down towards the end of week and had one "Cheat' day. This worked for ME. Any carbs I had were complex, except after training. Just remember it will take some time to lose that amount of fat, if you want to maintain LM.

I choose to get all crazy about my diet, because I had bad eating habits and put on weight(FAT)real easy. Really had no idea when it came to nutrition. So to me since diet is so important and varies so much from person to person I choose to learn and find out what worked for ME.

Hope this help, and good luck!
                Last edited by AWARE72; 02-21-2009, 08:57 PM. Reason: Grammer
                Do I want everyone starting out to be doing the M W F split--yes because thats proven to work best for the majority but when we get into diet and other things, thats a whole new ballgame here and it cannot be done with a cookie cutter

Comment

Originally posted by 5luke2 View Post
                  2 good rules are only buy food from the perimiter of the grocery store, and if you cant pick it, kill it or grow it, dont eat it. you cant go pick a poptart from a tree or you cant kill some reeces cups
                  A poptart tree would be the greatest thing ever.

Now, on to carb cycling: Try this link here. It's written by our very own Shelby Starnes. Just ignore the stuff about MMA Fighters and basically treat it as Carb Cycling for Humans instead.

Remember to stay at the very lowest on the numbers (2 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight on high days, 0.5 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight on low days) and remember to try to schedule your high-carb days on days when you do the most physical exertion, like the way Shelby demonstrates. Weight training gets the high carbs, rest days and cardio-only days get the low carbs.

The Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle e-book also lays out a carb-cycling approach.

Comment

For now I would just stay with carb cutoffs around 5 or 6 pm. Not including your greens and beans ofcourse. Dinner should always include vegetables. You should see weight loss from this. I would not try the cycling until you got to much lower body fat%. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
                      For now I would just stay with carb cutoffs around 5 or 6 pm. Not including your greens and beans ofcourse. Dinner should always include vegetables. You should see weight loss from this. I would not try the cycling until you got to much lower body fat%. Good Luck!
                      I agree with this, but I also believe that when you train should matter more. If you decide to train at night, then you could incorporate pre and post workout carbs

Comment

Originally posted by 5luke2 View Post
                        5Luke, I am going to start using your saying! At my grocery store it's 80%+ accurate! Accept they might be catching on because wine and beer just got moved to the left corner.

Comment

Shelby penned an ebook with Justin Harris - The Macro Rotation Handbook. You can get it at Elite FTS. They call it the Macro Nutrition Handbook or something like that. Sorry I can't post links - my thread count it too low.

It goes into detail about carb cycling with percentages and sample diets.

Comment

I don't think so, sunshine. Don't link crap like that here. Thank you.

Skip

Comment

Working...
                            X