Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knee problems. Need suggestions for squat and dead subs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee problems. Need suggestions for squat and dead subs.

So basically after a long process of trying different things with the Doctor. We've come to that point where he sat me down and said look we've tried everything all that's left is the fact that you are going to need a new knee.

So that sucks. But unfortunately. Because of where am in the process with a few police department applications I simply cannot afford to be laid up for a few months for recover. Which my doctor understands and is working with me. Right now the key is pain management and trying to avoid exasperating the problem (degenerative cartilage, most likely due to lymes disease I'm told)

So to make a long story short. I need to swap some of my favorite staple exercises for either variations or methods or different movements all together to help avoid causing more pain. Squats are a no go. Front squats are OKish so long as I do higher reps and lower weight. Leg presses are OKish. Again higher reps lower weight. Extensions seem fine. So there's that. Tried hacks that's no good either. Messed with lunges etc and that's no good. Seems anything that has weight actually bearing down on the knee is no go. Flexing isn't the problem which is probably why extensions don't hurt much.

Deads are painful too. Which sucks those are my favorite. Higher rep lower weight is ok. Some days I feel it out. Sometimes I can go heavy and low reps if I'm feeling frisky. I usually pay for it though. Back extensions are ok. It feels a little better if I go lighter with a wider stance.

So
    Anyways. I can't stop working out. Have to stay in shape for the PDs but I work full time
    And can't have pain causing me to have poor work performance either. So I need the experts here to teach me how to carry on without the golden staples of lifting. If I forgot to mention something that will help paint the picture let me know. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

man just lay off legs for awhile, what dept. is gonna hire you with a totally ##$%$# up knee?

Comment

Knee problems. Need suggestions for squat and dead subs.

It's alright if I lay off it. I still make my run times and qualifiers etc. as far as what my record says. It doesn't.
      Just nervous about laying off it completely because I don't want to lose what I have so far. Ya dig?

Last edited by Wagz86; 01-18-2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

i understand what you.re saying. thats a hardcore attitude, good luck with working it out. there are definitely some experienced people here who can help.

Comment

I wonder if there isn't a lot of truth to what you just said tho. Like just drop everything that agitates the knee and just double up on the moves that don't. So instead of say. 2 sets of squats 2 sets of presses etc etc etc just go 4-6 sets of extensions and whatever. Instead of deads just do back extensions. Yeah no it's not as good but I wonder if it's still GOOD ENOUGH to get by. But then that's why I made this post.

Comment

My best advice is to do something with incredibly low impact. The best thing here would be swimming honestly. When the muscles around the joint strengthen, along with the hips, you should be able to do something with more impact.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
            *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
            •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Even with cartilage being the problem? Stronger muscles will
              Impact that?

Comment

From a very basic standpoint, yes. Muscles are supposed to assist protecting joints. Stronger muscles means less impact on the joint effected. Most of my clients who have some issues with joints in the lower extremities do really well in pools.. It's a zero impact activity because of buoyancy.

There are plenty of circumstances where this is limited but in your case I believe you have a lot to gain from pool exercises, not just swimming laps. Think about the benefits of zero impact on the joint while there is some resistance in all planes of motion.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

ProbAbly couldn't hurt. But I feel that for my relative weight class my legs are Relatively strong. Imo

Comment

They could be, but I would question your hip strength if you have knee issues.

Comment

From the feedback I'm getting from the Doctor the problems seems to more the lymes disease causing early aggressive arthritis

Comment

Do Good Mornings instead of Back extensions, and RDL's or dimel deads instead of Deads. If it is one leg, I would just workout the other and be easy on the other one with the extensions.

Comment

I took a look at dimel deads. I'll give a try. But the issue I think I'm gonna run into is that it's still placing a load bearing down on my knee joint and those exercises seem to be what's really creating problems.

Comment

Whelp a few months later. It's feeling better. I still have bad days. Running sucks. But front squats with lighter weight and higher reps seems fine. I mostly just smash ass loads of leg extensions for quads. Gotta do what you gotta do. Bought some TN joint formula. Which was nice.

Side note. I'm looking into anti aging clinics in the DC metro area of Maryland to see about maybe getting HgH therapy. Because I've read that hgh has been used to treat degenerating cartilage. Anyone have an recommendations there? It looks like we deleted the gear page? That's odd cause that's where I was gonna go to ask. Anyways. If anyone is still following this let me know what you think.

Comment

Dave Paulumbo just did a YouTube video of stem cell injections for his shoulder cartilage. He said he would follow that up with prp. You may want to look into those treatment options.
                              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Working...
                              X