• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee wraps vs. Sleeves

Which do you guys prefer?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Prefer for what? Comfort?

I prefer sleeves. Sleeves are much more convenient, I wear them for all my squats from warmups onwards, and ditch them for other leg exercises, but you can wear them all workout if you like without having to constantly take them on and off. They aren't as tight as wraps but give good support in my opinion. Also, consistent tightness etc.

Wrapping takes too long, and I always needed a break after wrapping and before my set haha. Wraps will give you more 'pop' though. And it is cool to squat more
    If at first you don't succeed... Try doing what Skip told you to do the first time.

Comment

Never wrapped but sleeves I do like. They also keep the joint area warm.
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Prefer for injury prevention i guess. Since im not discovering my kneese are not too great

Comment

Neoprine sleeves - but purely for keeping the area warm! I find no help with support from sleeves but i also dont feel i need it as i no longer train legs anywhere near as heavy as days gone by!

Stew
          Some people are so afraid of dying they never actually start living.

Comment

Any brand recommendation

Comment

I haven't had any issues with my SBD sleeves, but to be fair, these are my first pair of sleeves. They do keep me toasty.
              #docswholift
              PGY-1 FM
              "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Elbows I wear mueller. Knees rehband
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

SBDs are the best in the business right now, if you watch the worlds in powerlifting everybody is wearing them. But to be honest that's probably because they help you lift more weight haha. I have a pair, they feel great. I also have some tommy konos to train in, and they feel fine as well. The difference is the SBDs are stitched so your knee is supported in its natural movement, TKs just keep your knee warm and tight.
                  If you are going to wear them for everything I don't know about the SBDs, I think they are a 'heavy' knee sleeve and I wouldn't want to wear them for the whole workout, but that's just me. I know guys who wear them for the rest of the workout not even training legs so if you get a big enough size they're probably fine.
                  I got mine to lift more haha
                  If at first you don't succeed... Try doing what Skip told you to do the first time.

Comment

I have the TK's (Tommy Kono Knee Sleeves) and absolutely love them! They give some support, but mostly keep your knees warm and sweating...yeah, you will need to change your socks when you get home! I wear them the entire leg workout unless I am getting into some doubles or single squat powerlifting work where I need to wrap for more support.
                    "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

The sbds are a bit pricey for me. Any alternative ideas? Keep in mind im more concerned with injury prevention. Seems wraps are better bang for your buck

Comment

Originally posted by Wagz86 View Post
                        The sbds are a bit pricey for me. Any alternative ideas? Keep in mind im more concerned with injury prevention. Seems wraps are better bang for your buck

Wraps aren't as much for injury.

I had the TK sleeves, liked them alot. Now I have efs sleeves, don't like them as much. I like the neoprene, kept my knees warmer.

I think this is a good breakdown. And compares 4 different knee sleeves.

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/pow...-knee-sleeves/

Comment

For competition I wear SBD.....
                          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                          17 AAU Super Total
                          '16-AAU Hi
                          '15-USPA Metro
                          '15-USPA State
                          '15-AAU HI
                          '14-AAU HI
                          '14-USPA Metro
                          '14-WABDL Sonny's
                          '14-USPA State
                          '14-HI Strongman
                          '13-USPA
                          '13-WABDL Sonny's
                          '13-USPA State
                          '13-AAU HI
                          '11-USPA Metro
                          '10-NPC Stingrey
                          '09-NPC Islands
                          '09-NPC Stingrey
                          '09-ABA Islands
                          '02-ABA Islands
                          '02-ABA IronWorks
                          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                          '01-ABA Olympia
                          '01-ABA Islands
                          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                          '00-INBF Musclefest
                          '98-NGA Ill
                          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

For someone focused purely on bodybuilding, I never understood the rationale behind knee wraps when training quads. Basically what knee wraps do on multi-joint lower body pressing movements is shift muscle recruitment from the quads towards the posterior chain. Wraps provide external spring force in the knee extension, thus enabling you to instantly lift more weight. While knee extension is aided by the wraps, hip extension is still unassisted --> glutes/hams/lower back have to work harder to lift the heavier weight.

There are a lot more efficient ways to target the posterior chain than to wear knee wraps when squatting, leg pressing, etc. So for bodybuilding training I have always stuck with knee sleeves, mostly to keep the knees warmer.

Comment

I use sleeves for almost everything except when I go over 500lbs on squats or about 800 on leg press, then I use wraps.

Comment

Working...
                              X