"Dangerous" Supplement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dangerous" Supplement?

I saw this article this morning and thought I'd share. Looks like we may be loosing another supplement in the coming months?

I hope not!

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayi...c-issues-death

Joe
    Joe

Contest History:
    2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
    2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
    2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
    2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
    2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
    2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

This has been going on for a while.

Comment

If it's unsafe it should be removed... and should have never been put on the market...

The lack of regulation with supplements really baffles me sometimes...
      -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
      -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
      198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
      -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
      198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
      -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
      198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Wait, yeah, I am confused. Hasn't 1,3-dimethylamylamine or DMAA been banned already?
        MWC900
        Please use my 5% off coupon code at truenutrition.com if you think my posts are informative/interesting/helpful etc
        MWC900

Comment

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
          If it's unsafe it should be removed... and should have never been put on the market...

The lack of regulation with supplements really baffles me sometimes...
          There is more regulation with supplements now, that in years passed. The thing is there is a fine line between safety regulation, and taking away our freedoms.

Then again how many drugs have also been pulled off the market due to saftey/health concerns? Despite clinical trials, and stringent regulation.

Comment

I am personally all for having DMAA pulled from the shelves.
            Even at the lowest recommended dose my heart beats uncomfortably fast and
            leaves me having palpitations the rest of the day. My brother has had the same experience, so I know there are many of us out there.

My concern is for the person who doesn't know any better, buys the supplement, and causes permanent damage or death while using the product as directed. I have read somewhere (will have to find it so I can post it) that DMAA is very similar in structure and effects to amphetamines. I don't care if it is all natural and comes from a plant. Cocaine comes from a plant too.
            Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

It said that over 100 million dollars in DMAA products have been sold and how many deaths?

If both soldiers were from the same base I would hope they might look into what exactly they were having the soldiers do, as well.

Skip
              www.TEAMSKIP.com

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
              Facebook: Skip Hill
              Instagram: IntenseMuscle
              YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries: TEAMSKIP1@gmail.com

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Caffeine killed somebody, we must ban it...lol
                My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                  There is more regulation with supplements now, that in years passed. The thing is there is a fine line between safety regulation, and taking away our freedoms.

Then again how many drugs have also been pulled off the market due to saftey/health concerns? Despite clinical trials, and stringent regulation.
                  Ok, because last I knew...about 4 years ago supplements had to be proven to be dangerous before being pulled off shelves, if that has changed good.

What freedoms are being taken away exactly?
                  -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)

Comment

Originally posted by PBRevolution View Post
                    Caffeine killed somebody, we must ban it...lol
                    This is my point and ephedra was consumed by millions and millions of people over a time frame of probably 12 years while it was on the market and yet only an incredibly small amount of people had health issues or died.

It's a tough call because you don't want kids or dumbasses messing themselves up but at the same time those that know what they are doing are having their right to use it taken away.

Skip
                    www.TEAMSKIP.com

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

What freedoms are being taken away exactly?
                      I think he is saying the freedom to use it.

I am just arguing that I am not sure that if millions of people use it and 2 people die (like with the Rockstar drinks), that the product is all of a sudden "bad".

Skip
                      www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

I am just arguing that I am not sure that if millions of people use it and 2 people die (like with the Rockstar drinks), that the product is all of a sudden "bad".

Skip
                        I follow what you are saying and tend to agree... however I do think maybe they should regulate who is taking these things. Alcohol can be good for you, or dangerous depending on how you use it. To me Supplements are no different. I know young kids who drink 3-5 Monsters/day. To me there is a similar risk many supplements, so why not at least require an adult person to have to buy them?

I don't know if this makes it all of a sudden "bad", but at least let's pull it, make sure it's relatively safe first rather than continuing to sell it for months and potentially risk more lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Skip
                          I agree. A couple people die out of the ridiculous amount using these products, and it is sensationalized.

Yeap. The freedom to use health supplements in general. They have already taken certain supplements that were effective, and then big pharma starts investigating their use as "drugs". Next think you know you will need a prescription for Vitamin C, D, etc.

There is a fine line between safety regulations, be it cGMP facilities, and raw material testing, and totally fucking us all out of the right to supplement.

I know young kids who drink 3-5 Monsters/day. To me there is a similar risk many supplements, so why not at least require an adult person to have to buy them?
                          I know young kids who sit on the sofa, play video games for 13hrs a day, eat nothing but fruit snacks, and ho-hos. Might as well regulate that too.

Comment

Good grief, more people die every day from prescription drugs every damn day...and yet they are still on the market. clearly big brother needs to back off and find something else to ban/go after..what a fucking joke!
                            Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Don't forget PEANUTS and SHELL FISH!
                              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Working...
                              X