"Dangerous" Supplement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
    Good grief, more people die every day from prescription drugs every damn day...and yet they are still on the market. clearly big brother needs to back off and find something else to ban/go after..what a fucking joke!
    Exactly this ^^
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
      Don't forget PEANUTS and SHELL FISH!
      I was just reading an article on this the other day..
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2885889.html

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
        I know young kids who sit on the sofa, play video games for 13hrs a day, eat nothing but fruit snacks, and ho-hos. Might as well regulate that too.
        And none of those things will cause instant death, though their parents may need to have something done with them, as this will increase all of our healthcare costs.

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
        Good grief, more people die every day from prescription drugs every damn day...and yet they are still on the market. clearly big brother needs to back off and find something else to ban/go after..what a fucking joke!
        You are very correct here. Prescription drugs are a HUGE problem in this country. What I fail to grasp is why just because something else is more jacked up in our society we should give everything of slightly less importance a "free pass".
        -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
        -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
        198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
        -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
        198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
        -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
        198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
          And none of those things will cause instant death, though their parents may need to have something done with them, as this will increase all of our healthcare costs.
          Ohhhh instant death is the only thing we are concerned about..hah

Sorry to break it to you but there are millions upon millions of everyday/household items that can cause "instant death" when used improperly, abused, or consumed in excess. Doesn't mean regulation is the answer.

Additionally if something says "serving size 1 scoop do not exceed 3 scoops in a 24hr period" and someone takes 18 scoops, is it the supplements fault. Is it the lack of regulation?

Comment

Free men should be able to consume whatever the hell free men want to consume. Yes, WHATEVER they want...kinda goes along with the "free" part.
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
              Free men should be able to consume whatever the hell free men want to consume. Yes, WHATEVER they want...kinda goes along with the "free" part.
              Would you support a law requiring retailers to I.D. buyers of 'supplements' containing certain ingredients? For example, no sale to anyone younger than 18 years of age?

My problem is that many of these so called supplements are actually drugs. Substances that are usually derived by synthetic means (DMAA is synthesized more often than extracted) and can do a lot of damage. This goes double for "supplements" like prohormones. They need to be regulated in a way that helps to prevent kids from getting a hold of them.

DMAA is not even a dietary supplement. What exactly is it supposed to be supplementing?

But I guess I see your point. I have no issue with adults buying stuff like this. The risk is theirs to take.
              Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

I follow what you are saying and tend to agree... however I do think maybe they should regulate who is taking these things. Alcohol can be good for you, or dangerous depending on how you use it. To me Supplements are no different. I know young kids who drink 3-5 Monsters/day. To me there is a similar risk many supplements, so why not at least require an adult person to have to buy them?

I don't know if this makes it all of a sudden "bad", but at least let's pull it, make sure it's relatively safe first rather than continuing to sell it for months and potentially risk more lives.
                I would agree with not being able to buy it unless you are an adult or an age limit or something. Pulling it so that adults can't buy it I am not sure about. I can't honestly think of one thing that has been on the shelves in the last 10 years that has had a serious concern for death, can you?

Off the top of my head: rockstar drinks, ephedra based products and maybe the creatine scare when it was thought that your kidneys were going to shut down.

Skip
                www.TEAMSKIP.com

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
                Facebook: Skip Hill
                Instagram: IntenseMuscle
                YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries: TEAMSKIP1@gmail.com

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                  I would agree with not being able to buy it unless you are an adult or an age limit or something. Pulling it so that adults can't buy it I am not sure about. I can't honestly think of one thing that has been on the shelves in the last 10 years that has had a serious concern for death, can you?

Off the top of my head: rockstar drinks, ephedra based products and maybe the creatine scare when it was thought that your kidneys were going to shut down.

Skip
                  On the same page... No I can't think of anything major in recent years.

I think an age limit would be good, but there would go probably 50% of the supplement company's market.
                  -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                  -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                  198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                  -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                  198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                  -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                  198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Salado View Post
                    I am personally all for having DMAA pulled from the shelves.
                    Even at the lowest recommended dose my heart beats uncomfortably fast and
                    leaves me having palpitations the rest of the day. My brother has had the same experience, so I know there are many of us out there.

My concern is for the person who doesn't know any better, buys the supplement, and causes permanent damage or death while using the product as directed. I have read somewhere (will have to find it so I can post it) that DMAA is very similar in structure and effects to amphetamines. I don't care if it is all natural and comes from a plant. Cocaine comes from a plant too.
                    Caffeine causes certain people's hearts to beat fast or irregularly, even when taken as directed. Should we pull caffeine as well?
                    My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

I think all sorts of things should be legal, as long as enough information is given about the substance. Let those who are fucking retarded enough to misuse them and die go ahead and get cleared out of the gene pool. Why should my choices and freedoms be limited due to the unbelievable ignorance and stupidity of other people?
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Skip
                        On the same page... No I can't think of anything major in recent years.

I think an age limit would be good, but there would go probably 50% of the supplement company's market.
                        That age limit on cigarettes and alcohol sure made it hard for me to get those things back in high school while I was living at home from older people.... /sarcasm

My family owns a few supplement stores. Back when we had prohormones we made it a policy for our store that you had to be 18 to purchase them. I told kids they were too young plenty of times and told them they couldn't buy it.

I had parents buy it for their kids, I had friends buy it for other friends. It never stopped them from getting it - it just made them find someone else to do it for them.

The idea of requiring an ID to buy certain supplements isn't a bad idea, but I think in practice it is just a bigger regulation on ME as the store owner and a reason for ME to get in trouble when they are going to get the product and use it no matter what.

I remember telling parents how badly prohormones would jack their 15 year old son's hormones up and that it was a big mistake for them to even consider purchasing them for their son.. They bought them anyway, all the other kids were taking them and their son was falling behind.

Oh and kids under 18 are probably less than 10% of my total sales and business.
                        Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                        FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                        www.316fit.com
                        Email: jared@316fit.com

Comment

I found some of the old Jack3d with DMAA, y'all should be jealous

Really, anything consumed without caution or in mass quantities is dangerous. People have died from water overdose!!!! What, do we regulate water consumption? What it comes down to is intelligent use of the product and age only plays a small role in this because there are morons in every age tier.

Solution: Survival of the fittest - let the dumb ones sort themselves out by using products that can potentially cause harm with complete disregard and without first learning the potential risks.

Result: A much more intelligent, pleasant society.
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                            I found some of the old Jack3d with DMAA, y'all should be jealous

Really, anything consumed without caution or in mass quantities is dangerous. People have died from water overdose!!!! What, do we regulate water consumption? What it comes down to is intelligent use of the product and age only plays a small role in this because there are morons in every age tier.

Solution: Survival of the fittest - let the dumb ones sort themselves out by using products that can potentially cause harm with complete disregard and without first learning the potential risks.

Result: A much more intelligent, pleasant society.
                            You want old jack3d with DMAA? Get ahold of me, we stocked up knowing that my customers would want it after it was discontinued.

I probably still have 100 bottles. lol
                            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                            www.316fit.com
                            Email: jared@316fit.com

Comment

I agree with Sammich and Mentalflex. People are just plain stupid.

Swim with sharks Ages 12 and up. Now what parent would allow this?

http://www.adventureaquarium.com/wha...th-sharks.aspx

Wait, I didn't notice it was in Jersey. That explains everything
                              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Like I always say "Safety Third".

Explains everything like this.
                                "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                                Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                                'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                                ~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
                                X