Blood work results and a question or

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood work results and a question or

I had my annual physical done this week which is really more of blood work result and a light physical. Results were great overall but there are 2 items which puzzle me. I am going to contact the doc's office for further explanation but since there are some medical people on the board I wanted to ask you about them.

The major one is blood mpv. My platelet count is good at 264 but the MPV is Low at 6.8. In just googling this MPV thing it says that a low count could be a result of future Leukemia, Hiv or something else. Does anyone have more information on this?

The only thing the doc told me to do, overall, was take another teaspoon of fish oil as well as maybe some baby aspirin. He really didn't explain why. My cholesterol went down by 45 pts from 6 months but my triglycerides went up a little bit. I began taking red yeast rice for tri's but apparently it affected the cholesterol more then anything.

Red yeast rice is a statin so it should impact cholesterol. Fish oil tends to have more of an impact on triglycerides. Are you taking niacin?

Comment

There is some niacin in the red yeast rice. In reading more on red yeast rice it looks as though a person should only take it for a limited time and not on a continuous basis.

Comment

Aspirin will make and keep the blood thin. I have used baby aspirin for many years for this reason.

What fish oil are you using?

Reduce your sugar intake-read food labels as sugars are hidden everywhere.
        Admin@ http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
        Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSport View Post
          Aspirin will make and keep the blood thin. I have used baby aspirin for many years for this reason.

What fish oil are you using?

Reduce your sugar intake-read food labels as sugars are hidden everywhere.
          I am using Vitamin Shoppe fish oil with lemon in it. I take a teaspoon twice a day and drinking a little water behind it.

I have been steadily reducing the sugar intake but occasionally cheat hard on that and that probably kills me. I will have to look at the labels closer.

Not sure why the doc recommended that I take baby aspirin though. I figured the fish oil might be working in that area. My MPV is low and that has been low the past few years from looking at my medical records.

Comment

Firstly I will say that I'm not at all convinced that fish oil is as beneficial as it is claimed to be.
            Are you certain the Vitamin Shoppe product has adequate levels of EPA?

As for the baby aspirin thing.....lots of people drop dead from a heart attack even though their lab values are supposedly in range. One of the causes of these episodes is the blood is too thick.

When the blood is thick like this it can also cause damage to the vessels. Over time this can be a real problem.

Aspirin is very cheap and yet produces a fair bit of protection and prevention.

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
            Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=VS-2642

This is the stuff I have but I have a smaller bottle that sells for $10. I used to take the stuff from Wal Mart and that was a total guessing game as to what was in it.
              Last edited by DEADn; 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM. Reason: Had wrong bottle information in my comments

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
                http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=VS-2642

This is the stuff I have but I have a smaller bottle that sells for $10. I used to take the stuff from Wal Mart and that was a total guessing game as to what was in it.
                The goal with fish oil consumers is to ingest EPA. That is the Omega-3 fatty acid that prevents certain fish from freezing in cold waters.

You may want to do what I tell my clients to do in regards to finding out if their fish oil has adequate amount of EPA.

Take one of the caps and insert a toothpick into it and then put it in your freezer for 5 or 6 hours. Then take it out and remove the toothpick.

If the toothpick comes out without resistance the product has ample EPA in it. If it does not come out easily then your productis a fraud.

Even then it isn't easy to determine of your product is the sewer of the sea as the FDA isn't involved afaik.

Comment

Now, the only problem with the caps in the freezer is the stuff I have is liquid. I put it on a teaspoon and ingest it and drink a shot of water right after that.

I did the freezer thing with some pills I had gotten from Wal Mart and they did not freeze but they also didn't really give concrete numbers on the EPA as well. This Vitamin Shoppe brand I have gives the break down.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
                    Now, the only problem with the caps in the freezer is the stuff I have is liquid. I put it on a teaspoon and ingest it and drink a shot of water right after that.

I did the freezer thing with some pills I had gotten from Wal Mart and they did not freeze but they also didn't really give concrete numbers on the EPA as well. This Vitamin Shoppe brand I have gives the break down.
                    Put a small amount in some sort of container and do the toothpick thing.

Do not trust the breakdowns listed on labels.

Comment

You should try to focus on food which is helpful to lower cholesterol. Eating a healthy diet can help to lower the level of cholesterol in your blood. Eat foods that contain unsaturated fat instead of saturated fat can actually help to reduce cholesterol levels.

Comment

Working...
                      X