Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So sick of my back! Could use some advice please!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    You need to get an MRI done. If your doc is hesitant, or your insurance is shitty, demand one and get the thing approved.

    I would suggest asking for ones of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine. Back pain is tricky and you could be having referred pain, or narrowing which could cause nerve impingment, leading to pain as others have suggested.

    GET AN MRI NOW. Also, seek out a good PT who specializes in back rehab. I have just come off this road and believe me, the MRI is the first step.

    2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
    -1st Heavyweight Gi
    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs




    Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!


    New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

    Comment


    • #17
      the shoulder bursitis is laughable. Maybe you have an impingement of your suprascapular but you never really know. What movements make it hurt, really try and think about if it's lifting your arm (which direction), moving your scapula back/up/down/forward or any combination. If you have nerve damage I don't really think there is anything you can do other than try and strengthen the area and know that it is there.

      Comment


      • #18
        MRI. The first doc I saw for my back told me I had a pulled muscle and it may take months for it to get better but here are some percs!! I refused to let it go... Eventually an MRI showed 3 herniated discs and two were bad. Injured Jan 1 of 2010... Had surgery this past may and after the surgery the doc said he could not believe the amount if arthritis that had developed because of the injury. Get an MRI and go from there. BTW make sure you get more than one opinion on the MRI. If its not pressing on the spine you may never need surgery for it. Surgery shouldn't be automatic.

        Good luck.
        Follow my NEW journal if you please:


        http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

        "They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

        "You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
        Dr. Seuss


        I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.


        "Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
        Nicki Minaj

        Comment


        • #19
          I just have to comment here on everyone ordering an MRI.

          In my experience, there are MANY MANY MANY things that can be diagnosed by a skilled physician, PT or athletic trainer using the neurologic and orthopedic tests that have been long been available before MRI became a common diagnostic tool. Nerve impingement, disc herniation vs. foraminal narrowing, etc. can be differentiated by the test that these practitioners learn in school.

          MRI's are done VERY often b/c the Doc has to cover his ass and an MRI is considered definitive diagnostically (and unfortunately in this day and age, legally).

          The problem here isn't necessarily the diagnostic tool, but finding a Doc who will actually get to a diagnosis. The shame of these kinds of cases is often that the patient does has to pressure the Doc into an MRI to get to a diagnosis that is available if the physician were to do his or her job (this is my opinion) and form a diagnosis. (Problem here is that Docs are scared to do that and be wrong... <sigh>)

          -S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

          Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


          www.TrueNutrition.com

          2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

          Comment


          • #20
            So sorry for the late reply everyone but I have an update. Still pain in both cases. The constant burning and the pain when I twist my torso to the left. The good news is I will be book an MRI today or tomorrow so I will be having that done eventually.


            Homonunculus, I have been trying to find a good PT or Chiro that can help and I have been all over the board. I've been to about 4 Chiros, 1 PT, and my doctor with this. With the PT I went there for months until my insurance ran out. It was the canadian back institute if that helps at all. No help really with anyone which is awful. When it comes to my posture, I wouldn't say I am chronically slumped over or anything close to that but I do not have perfect posture either. I try to have strict posture but it causes the burning to flare up if I hold good posture for a short period of time. Awkward cycle to say the least.

            It's funny you say I may have a rib out of place because the only incident I can recall that may have caused this injury was that I fell onto a log place upward and it hit my back, specifically hurting my ribs. I didn't have any noticeable effects from it until months later though, but where the pain is located is exactly where I fell on the log so that's why I believe its the cause of all this.

            Is there anything you could recommend for me, or is there any other information you might need to maybe guide me in the right direction to start recovering from this. I would do anything to heal from this. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

            Comment


            • #21
              bump

              Comment


              • #22
                Mri results

                So I got the MRI done but apparently it hasn't help my doctor figure out what exactly is wrong with me. I will post the bottom line impression that came with the report but if the entire report is needed I will scan it when I can.


                IMPRESSION: Today's examination shows some mild increased signal intensity associated with the supraspinatus tendon which is likely related to intrasubstance degenerative change. There are some degenerative changes also noted associated with the glenohumeral articulation as indicated within the report. There are some nonspecific in signal intensity edematous changes seen extending through the neck of the humerus and extend more distally. This possibly could be post-traumatic in nature. No additional significant find is otherwise seen, however.


                This seems to focus more on my shoulder but the pain is right by my left scapula and close to my spine. It hurts to twist my torso to the left and that upper area ALWAYS burns. It burns especially when I sit down or do back involved exercises. Sitting down is by far the worst though. If there is a GOOD back rest that applies pressure directly to the area I'm burning free.

                I'll post an image of where the pain is( not the best pic), so I hope it helps.

                My Doctor's new theory is that it's a muscle tear. Which makes no sense because my symptoms have not changed and he used to think it was just random spasms, then bursitis and now he thinks it's a tear. He says it feels like there is a small gap in my rhomboid and that the right side does not have this gap.

                I am basically in the dark still and I will do anything to have this heal. I have been to multiple chiros, physio, massages, and i have taken months off from lifting and I have gotten NO results. Time off seems to make it worst almost.

                Any help would be amazing! Thanks everyone
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #23
                  Well many years later I finally have a diagnosis. My costo-vertebral joint is degenerating. The rib is basically hypermobile and the joint is getting worse. Still trying to train, but now every day is filled with pain and it is a constant in my life.

                  I'm scheduled for an xray guided cortisone shot in June and I finally spoke with a specialist(the third or forth I've seen) that actually had an idea what was going on with me and said this is my only option.

                  So my options are endure this pain everyday and try and pursue my goals in spite of everyday pain or commit suicide. Naturally I do not wish to die but having constant pain really affects your sanity. I refuse to take pain meds or anti inflammatory meds so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

                  Does anyone know of anyone who might have some knowledge or experience with this type of injury? Is there anyone who is the John Meadows of Physio lol? Figured I'd refresh this and see if I can get any leads considering I'm desperate. Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Wow, no leads but I feel for you. I had an injury that took about 6yrs to get to where I am now happy with it. It is not fixed and I cannot do everything I did before but I am happy.

                    Do not let it rule your life mate.
                    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                    Buck Brannaman.

                    "It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

                    "Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                    ~William Bernbach

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                      Wow, no leads but I feel for you. I had an injury that took about 6yrs to get to where I am now happy with it. It is not fixed and I cannot do everything I did before but I am happy.

                      Do not let it rule your life mate.
                      I'm trying, but it's very difficult. Before this injury I have never experienced chronic pain, so the past few years have been hell. Sucks because just looking at me, you'd never know. I do office work and sitting in a chair really bothers me so I live in pain every day. Rough stuff.

                      I wish there was a way I could get the rib to stop moving because then the joint might heal, but everything has become hypermobile and I don't think anything can fix it. Tough pill to swallow to think this is permanent.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        This may not be of any help, but in the event that you can get anything out of it, here goes...

                        For years I've dealt with a burning/tingling in the area between my spine and scapula, upper/mid back. It flares up from time to time. It's nowhere near as bad as yours. It's very distracting/makes me want to lay down at worst, but that is not the majority of the time, and lately, it's rare for it to get that bad. I've distinctly noticed flareups associated with increased stress, as well as degradation of posture when seated/working at a desk due to fatigue, bad habits, or once again stress. Something that I noticed would consistently flare it up is talking on the phone on that ear (i.e., the changes in posture that would cause, and occasionally an acute offense when I'd hold the phone with my shoulder pinching it to my ear). All these things have in common muscle tension. This may sound crazy (or annoying), but what was recommended to me was meditation. This seemed like bad advice because sitting with perfect posture would aggravate it. But, over time, I think learning how to sit upright properly AND relax (so a balance of tension and relaxation), ultimately has alleviated the symptom. I also never talk on the phone without earbuds if I can help it, and if I don't have them, I'll use the other side. I have no clue what originally caused this issue to occur. It's been as long as I can remember. As for you, you have a hunch about when you fell on the log. If you damaged the joint then (even though you didn't have symptoms immediately or in the way you would've expected), I would try to solve this from the source. I would learn about that part of the body, how it works, how to stabilize it, protect it and give it time to heal. Yours is so progressed, the cortisone may help to get it under control temporarily. You'll have to debunk what you're doing to continue the cycle. We create bad physical habits when we live in chronic pain, and it's a self-defeating cycle. Are you still training hard and heavy? Have you done that throughout this ordeal? If you are, I would stop and dedicate "training" to stuff involving posture, core strength, flexibility and relaxation. It's not forever. It's until your pain is under control and you can reintroduce "real" training.

                        I'm frustrated that I don't have a clear direction that would help you. For me, in this issue and others, I got improvement from #1 believing it was possible (please don't give up), and #2 trying to get to the source of it myself, and tackling it from there. Ultimately, I had to figure out my own body and intuit what would help. Pain is a symptom. You may have to go off the beaten path further to get relief. Try to find a practitioner who believes you can find the source and heal, not just mask the pain.
                        2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                        2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                        2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                        2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                        2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          My rib moved in and out under my rib cage for 6 years. You could just push it and it would make a click noise and you could see that it was now moved. I would then tense my stomach and it would make another clicking noise as it popped back into place.

                          It clicked a lot at first, it was distracting and uncomfortable. It clicked constantly during sex which may make you smile but was very quickly off putting and embarrassing, it caused my diaphragm not to expand correctly on my right side so I could no longer run. During squats, deads and leg press it would click each rep and I would cramp up and leave a bruise so I know it was cutting me inside.

                          I was given a permanent disability rating but did not have to quit my job or anything but was on restricted duties for 6 months.

                          It gradually stopped clicking all the time but I could still move it manually with my fingers. Some time a few years later I went to push it in manually and found it no longer moved. I now have no problems with it other than if I try to run I get a cramp on that side after several minutes as I still don't think my diaphragm expands properly.

                          So it took a long time but finally healed to the point that as long as no big runs are involved or long uphill hard walks then I am fine.

                          I am telling you all this because the Dr's, and there were numerous because the injury was work related, said they could do nothing for me.

                          Don't give up hope.

                          SAHD
                          Last edited by SAHD; 04-11-2016, 06:25 AM.
                          "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                          Buck Brannaman.

                          "It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                          'Hanging' Judge PARKER

                          "Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                          ~William Bernbach

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                            This may not be of any help, but in the event that you can get anything out of it, here goes...

                            For years I've dealt with a burning/tingling in the area between my spine and scapula, upper/mid back. It flares up from time to time. It's nowhere near as bad as yours. It's very distracting/makes me want to lay down at worst, but that is not the majority of the time, and lately, it's rare for it to get that bad. I've distinctly noticed flareups associated with increased stress, as well as degradation of posture when seated/working at a desk due to fatigue, bad habits, or once again stress. Something that I noticed would consistently flare it up is talking on the phone on that ear (i.e., the changes in posture that would cause, and occasionally an acute offense when I'd hold the phone with my shoulder pinching it to my ear). All these things have in common muscle tension. This may sound crazy (or annoying), but what was recommended to me was meditation. This seemed like bad advice because sitting with perfect posture would aggravate it. But, over time, I think learning how to sit upright properly AND relax (so a balance of tension and relaxation), ultimately has alleviated the symptom. I also never talk on the phone without earbuds if I can help it, and if I don't have them, I'll use the other side. I have no clue what originally caused this issue to occur. It's been as long as I can remember. As for you, you have a hunch about when you fell on the log. If you damaged the joint then (even though you didn't have symptoms immediately or in the way you would've expected), I would try to solve this from the source. I would learn about that part of the body, how it works, how to stabilize it, protect it and give it time to heal. Yours is so progressed, the cortisone may help to get it under control temporarily. You'll have to debunk what you're doing to continue the cycle. We create bad physical habits when we live in chronic pain, and it's a self-defeating cycle. Are you still training hard and heavy? Have you done that throughout this ordeal? If you are, I would stop and dedicate "training" to stuff involving posture, core strength, flexibility and relaxation. It's not forever. It's until your pain is under control and you can reintroduce "real" training.

                            I'm frustrated that I don't have a clear direction that would help you. For me, in this issue and others, I got improvement from #1 believing it was possible (please don't give up), and #2 trying to get to the source of it myself, and tackling it from there. Ultimately, I had to figure out my own body and intuit what would help. Pain is a symptom. You may have to go off the beaten path further to get relief. Try to find a practitioner who believes you can find the source and heal, not just mask the pain.
                            Yes I have been lifting hard and heavy the majority of this time and have made insane strides in my physique, but as I get bigger and bigger it seems to affect me more. I have taken over 6 months off and it did nothing....I try and sit with good posture 24/7 because if I don't, the pain increases so it always reminds me. Maybe meditation would help....can I lay down and do that or is sitting important? I'm out of options really. Doctors don't care and apparently the back is a complex mystery that no one wants to solve....

                            They want me on pain meds and anti inflammatory meds for life, but I refuse to take any. Maybe aside from work and training, i'll just lie on the floor. I'm attempting to learn how to sleep on my back too because I am a side sleeper and that REALLY bothers it. No success yet...

                            Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                            My rib moved in and out under my rib cage for 6 years. You could just push it and it would make a click noise and you could see that it was now moved. I would then tense my stomach and it would make another clicking noise as it popped back into place.

                            It clicked a lot at first, it was distracting and uncomfortable. It clicked constantly during sex which may make you smile but was very quickly off putting and embarrassing, it caused my diaphragm not to expand correctly on my right side so I could no longer run. During squats, deads and leg press it would click each rep and I would cramp up and leave a bruise so I know it was cutting me inside.

                            I was given a permanent disability rating but did not have to quit my job or anything but was on restricted duties for 6 months.

                            It gradually stopped clicking all the time but I could still move it manually with my fingers. Some time a few years later I went to push it in manually and found it no longer moved. I now have no problems with it other than if I try to run I get a cramp on that side after several minutes as I still don't think my diaphragm expands properly.

                            So it took a long time but finally healed to the point that as long as no big runs are involved or long uphill hard walks then I am fine.

                            I am telling you all this because the Dr's, and there were numerous because the injury was work related, said they could do nothing for me.

                            Don't give up hope.

                            SAHD
                            Is there anything you think that may have specifically caused your issue to go away?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Honestly no. There was nothing I did that changed it. I exercised etc and I think the scar tissue built up and maybe the bones calcified. I would love an MRI to see what has happened. I do notice that when I get lean my abs are now uneven looking.
                              "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                              Buck Brannaman.

                              "It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                              'Hanging' Judge PARKER

                              "Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                              ~William Bernbach

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by phrozen View Post
                                I've been to three chiros in my area.....trust me I have done everything in my power to help this.....all these chiros did was the same thing.....crack my back...then put me on some electric current machine.....one tried acupuncture on me too......no help what so ever.....maybe these people arent the best at what they do but they were the highest recommended chrio's in my area.


                                So advice would be amazing. Thanks again
                                How long did you go to the Chiro before giving up on that? It may take awhile and you may have to keep doing it. It may not solve it either but I'm having issues with my L5, sacrum and a few vertibrae in the C area. Physical therapy was recommended to me and possibly manipulation therapy. I'm going to continue chiro therapy for now just to ensure everything is kept aligned to help keep it healthy.

                                I don't know if that will be your fix or mine for that matter, but maybe it's something to give an extended time with just in case.

                                Good luck with it. Back pain sucks, it affects everything.
                                2014 KC All Star Championships 5th novice mw
                                2015 KC All Star Championships 3rd open mw, 3rd masters 40+
                                2016 Branch Warren 1st masters 40+, 3rd open mw

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X