Bursitis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bombery View Post
    If it were my wife, I would get her to a chiropractor who specializes in a technique called CBP, Chiropractic BioPHYSICS. They correct the curves of the spine. Correct structure = correct function.http://www.idealspine.com/directory/

If you talk to any experienced, honest PT/PTA, the medical progression is: Cortisone shots- surgery- PT . repeat

Interesting how the doctor lets the course of treatment, disc replacement or fusion( two totally different options) be dictated by what the insurance company will pay for. Shouldn't the doctor do what is best for the patient?
    She has been to 3 different chiros and one of them at the 'latest' techniques and said he thought she needs some steroid shots. Her disc is shot so even if she went to a chiro a chiro isn't going to be able to fix the disc.

As far as insurance, the replacement disc is very expensive so unless insurance can cover it or some of it then we have to go with the fusion which insurance does cover. The Ortho said he hates dealing with Blue Cross Blue Shield. He has been doing surgeries for 34 years. He was going to do fusion on both discs but my wife wants replacement on one of them. He said he could do it but we have to see if insurance will cover it.

Comment

Today we went to see the vascular surgeon for my wife's surgery on 7/1. He spent a good 20-25 minutes talking to her about the procedure. I was a bit squeemish with some of it but I was also amazed at what they do to get in there. She was also told to get some magnesium citrate and take it 2 days before surgery and eat only light foods after that.

Now our only issue is getting the insurance company to cover the cost of the disc replacement. We are hoping to do a hybrid with the bottom disc being a fusion and the upper disc being a replacement. I am thinking about asking how much does the disc replacement part cost for depending upon that price we might try to swing it ourselves. Our Ortho said that 60% of the time people will fusion will need another surgery and my wife is young and active to have to deal with 2 fusions.

Comment

On 6/25 we went to the Orthopedic to get the pre op instructions. We sat in the office for an hour while the doctor and his assistant fought with the insurance company on trying to cover the disc replacement. The insurance company says the Pro Disc L is still investigation and yet the FDA backs it and it has been used for 10 years. The doctor then talked to a neurosurgeon and that person was not able to approve the disc because BCBS says no. All we could do is go for an appeal which would be 30 days. We decided to just do the 2 disc fusion. It really sucks but my wife wants to get it done and out of the way plus she has a possible job change coming and she doesn't wand it to be prolonged because of this surgery.

In the literature that we have read the Pro Disc L heals 4x faster than a fusion and saves money in the long run. I am not sure I understand why an insurance company wouldn't run to this because of that. The Orthopedic doc says that as time goes by these things will get tougher to approve.

He also had a few choice things to say about Obamacare as well. He was very raw and frank with us on that. So much so that it was as if we were at his house just hanging out for 10 minutes. He has his assistant nurse. He will be retiring in 5 years and thinking about going into home practice in which he will require cash payment and not have to mess with insurance companies anymore.

Comment

As a student interested in pain management and musculoskeletal issues I appreciate you sharing you and your wife's experiences.

I can't believe people diagnose tears from a x-ray.

Anyway, wishing the wife a speedy recovery from the surgery.
          #docswholift
          PGY-1 FM
          "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
            I know this is not very common, but has she been checked for septic bursitis, or is the doc just telling her it is most likely bursitis? Seems to be relatively severe to have lasted this long with little to no improvement, and to be aggravated and inflamed by opening doors...

Like I said, its an unusual occurrence in the hip, but seems like you've tried several other options, the doctor can pull a small amount of bursa fluid for examination to determine if this condition is present.

Maybe a dumb question here too, but does your wife drink enough water?

Hope she feels better...

MT
            Initially she was told she has bursitis but this whole thing began when she bent down to pick something up and her whole spine shift. When she stood up you could see the entire shift in her torso. She has had accupuncture as well as injections into her all of which lasted a week or 2 and the pain came back.

X rays show her disc is blown and it is degenerative disc disease. The Ortho says it is possible that she may have bursitis but once she has this operation we will see how much of the pain is cleared up. Currently her pain is her lower back, hip and shoulder area. She cannot walk a long distance, stairs are out of the questions and even ramps can be a chore to go up and down.

She was checked for the septic bursitis and a hip ortho and a Rheumatologist both said no. The last Ortho said she didn't have bursitis because if she did she would be screaming if he simply touched her hip. That didn't happen.

I believe it all stems from the collapsed disc pinching the nerves. Often I have to massage her lumbar area. The muscles ball up very tight. She is taking tramadol as well as paracetmol which is the Filipino version of Tylenol. She is allergic to Tylenol.

Comment

My wife had her double fusion surgery July 1 and 3. Surgeon went through the bowels to implant 2 cages as well as a protein mixture. He came in 2 days later through the back to implant the screws and the plate. That surgery was most painful for her. She spent 7 days in the hospital. Went in Monday morning and we left Sunday evening. I spent the last 5 days with her at the hospital, sleeping there as well.

She is taking oxycodone for pain. She was doing Tramadol but that wasn't touching any of the pain. She used an electric blanket to warm her back up her first night home. She was in alot of pain that night and the blanket helped her back.

Doc says everything looks great today and all she needs to do is start walking for her healing to get faster. She has a body brace to help keep her torso stable. I am finding that she is able to sit in chairs longer than she used to be able to do which is a very good sign. I am also monitoring her hip and shoulders. She also had pain in both areas. Her spine was shifted a bit and I think that was leading to some shoulder pain. She hasn't complained about that much at all but then again I have not asked her about it.

The PT who came to the house also said she is doing very well for being one week out after surgery. Yahoo!!
              Praise God for all of that!!

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
                My wife had her double fusion surgery July 1 and 3. Surgeon went through the bowels to implant 2 cages as well as a protein mixture. He came in 2 days later through the back to implant the screws and the plate. That surgery was most painful for her. She spent 7 days in the hospital. Went in Monday morning and we left Sunday evening. I spent the last 5 days with her at the hospital, sleeping there as well.

She is taking oxycodone for pain. She was doing Tramadol but that wasn't touching any of the pain. She used an electric blanket to warm her back up her first night home. She was in alot of pain that night and the blanket helped her back.

Doc says everything looks great today and all she needs to do is start walking for her healing to get faster. She has a body brace to help keep her torso stable. I am finding that she is able to sit in chairs longer than she used to be able to do which is a very good sign. I am also monitoring her hip and shoulders. She also had pain in both areas. Her spine was shifted a bit and I think that was leading to some shoulder pain. She hasn't complained about that much at all but then again I have not asked her about it.

The PT who came to the house also said she is doing very well for being one week out after surgery. Yahoo!!
                Praise God for all of that!!
                how is your wife doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Bombery View Post
                  how is your wife doing?
                  Her pain level, at its worst, is 3 on her bad days. She seems to have a touch of bursitis still in the hip which causes some muscle pulling. She walks a mile every day and 2 miles on off days. I walk with her and she walks as a normal person and even faster.

She just started a 3 month fitness program 2x a week. Hopefully this, with occasional massages, will help ease her muscle tightness. She still takes tramadol for pain even though it is much less than before. She sees her ortho the end of this month for maybe the last time for a 6 month check up.

She is careful with steps though. She usually uses the wheel chair ramps but if she has to use the steps she will she only goes up slowly a few at a time and stops.

Her back pains are gone though.

Comment

Good to hear

Comment

Good to hear
                      [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                      Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

I asked her about her pain level since it has been 6 months since the surgery. She has it has lowered but her muscle in her back and the waist are tight which contribute to the pain she has. She has done 3 sessions at a place called Haka fitness and says she feels that exercises is helping to loosen the muscles in that area.

What I am waiting for is to see her get off of tramadol and be able to walk up steps with out pain. Those are key areas right now but her pain level is a 3 at its worst. I used to average 6-7 on a good day.

Comment

keep us posted

Comment

When my wife was going to the chiro for adjustments to see if it would correct her pain she was given a heat pad. When this didn't seem to help much she was given an ice pad and that seemed to help her back and her hip. From then on she mentioned the cold touch would take away the pain.

We have had some cold fronts come through here and as a result she said they have really helped her hips pain. The problem is going to be this Summer when the temps rise. Hoping that her pain level stays very low.

Comment

I received some very bitter news today in regards to the Ortho surgeon who did the back fusion on my wife.
                              See the link

http://ryortho.com/2014/02/tony-cast...arch-luminary/

Comment

Working...
                              X