Back Extensions...Pain or Muscle Activation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Extensions...Pain or Muscle Activation

After missing some lifts that I have previously smoked, I got pissed and re-evaluated what I might be missing. Mostly, I just need to get stronger all over but areas that I think are lagging a bit more are abs, hamstrings, and lower back.

I am doing 5/3/1. I have been doing abs but just switched up the weight/rep scheme and exercises for those. I have programmed in good mornings as an accessory movement on my squat day to help posterior chain.

I have also thrown in seated leg curls supersetted with back extensions (or hyperextensions). I do these for 3 sets of 10 on my deadlift and squat days after the main movement and the accessory movement just for more hamstring and lower back work.

The issue that I have run into is that by the time I finish the last superset, I can hardly walk because my lower back is so tight. I just pull my legs out from behind the pads and kind of hang over the machine for a couple of a minutes until my back loosens up/stops hurting.

I was just wondering if this was normal for others? Is this just muscular activation from hitting a fairly small group of muscle or am I on the verge to an injury? It usually doesn't hurt/is tight after a while.

**I say tightness/pain because I think it just might be tightness but I want to see if others had this and ended up with injury (e.g. a warning sign). I can't remember the last time I have done direct lower back work because my ego previously got in the way of what actually needed to be done. I'm assuming this lack of direct work could be contributing to this tightness/pain.**
    The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

Well, I know from experience that direct hamstring work (i.e. hamstring curl stuff) involves strong contraction of lower back muscles for both stabilization and assistance of the lift. My guess is you are just getting a big ol' pump.

Have you tried reversing the order of the lifts to see if that helps?
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

No I haven't. I'll switch them around this week to see what happens.

The only thing that makes me nervous about the tightness is that the next day, I feel it in my lower back but it radiates down the outer side of my thighs (mostly when I'm walking/running hills). I'm just worried that I might be hitting my sciatic nerve somehow.
      The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Working...
      X