Down 9 pounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down 9 pounds

This is opposite of the direction I need to be going, hahaha. After my 6 month hiatus from training I got down to 200-205. Since resuming training in March I have gotten back to 237, leaving me about 15 pounds to go until my gear fits really nice.

2 weeks ago I started a new job at UPS and am now down to 228. I tell ya if anyone is looking to shed some bodyfat, UPS is your place. It is a 3-4 hour High Intensity session every day. There is a 10 minute break, that's it. You are constantly in motion either loading or unloading packages. There is zero sitting down, standing around, lounging, waiting on such and such. It is pure mule time.

This is having a two fold effect on me. Obviously there is the extra energy being spent chucking boxes around. There is also the fact that when I work/exercise like this in the heat/humidity I lose any appetite I may have had. As it stands I do not have a huge appetite. Gaining and maintaining weight is very difficult for me. Eating becomes work and a chore. I am not complaining by any means as I know everyone is different with their own goals and some can gain easily and some lose easily. The work has to be put in regardless. So I wake up around 3am, work from 5-9am and I do not get the slightest bit hungry until about 2-3pm. Eating before/during work is out as it would be all aboard The Vomit Express. Right after work I have begun getting Slushes at Sonic which are nice to cool down with and at least have some calories, it is shitty sugar but calories none the less.

I know this comes down to simple math and that I must eat more food. I have all of the Powerlifting USA's with JM Blakely's eating articles and one outstanding quote is "you must accept the inarguable fact that you need to put more food into your mouth" hahaha, there are many others. JM was a master at weight gain/loss. I know, woe is me, I have to eat when I am not hungry, what a trying problem to have

Anyway, I am simply curious if anyone else has similar issues and also if anyone has any specific tricks/ideas they like to use. I am open to suggestions

Thank you, any assistance is greatly appreciated
    "You need never feel broken again"

Can you bring a protein shake in a cooler to keep it cold. You can sip it through out the day. Mix it with healthy fat or milk or blended oats and u have an effective mrp or weight gainer depending on the ingredients and amounts.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

LG1's suggestion is good. If that's not feasible, try to have ANY type of beverage with cals in it when you are allowed to stop and hydrate. I'd keep getting in water too though. I'd think some cals are better than none, if you can keep them down. Do you think a handful of trail mix would stay down? Fruit tends to digest easy for me even when very hot/humid and active.

If you haven't already, you can increase your meals after work thru bedtime, starting with lighter, easier to digest foods and getting denser as the day progresses. From 10 am to 2-3pm, it may just be a suck it up situation. Another option is try to get in a shake in the night if it doesn't mess up your sleep/rest too much.
      phoenix13
      OG Mod of all Mods
      Last edited by phoenix13; 06-18-2015, 01:50 PM.
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Down 2 more pounds, I need to start following my own advice that I give my clients and to stay off the damn scale, hahaha

LG, I can bring a shake in a cooler. However any protein shake mixed with milk is going to get thrown right back up. The only shake I know I can tolerate while exercising like this is Plasma/Mag-10. This stuff does not mess with my stomach at all. As much as I would like to drink these at work I am already drinking it 4x per week during training sessions and I imagine everyone knows how expensive it is. I simply can not afford to only have the bottles last me 2 weeks

Dominique, my hydration beverages have been water, gatorade, and powerade zero. So far so good with keeping them down, as long as I do not have any carbonated beverages with caffeine as well. I will have to experiment with the trail mix and see what happens, any suggestions on where/what mix to get?

The shake during the night is a fantastic idea, and something I prolly should have been doing anyway, now it is way more needed. I only sleep an hour or two a night so having the shake should not mess things up any more than they already are, hahaha

Great ideas here, much appreciated
        "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

So, I have the exact same situation. I work sanitation. 2-3 hours busting my ass then I'm good. I get up 4am, eat breakfast. I powerlifting as well, and have a carb backloading approach to my diet. But u can eat what and as much as u want here. Since ur having trouble holding weight, go nuts. I start work at 6. So same like u, 2 hours after I wake so you should have no trouble keeping it down. And here's a secret for, digestion, hydration, and keeping u regular. After breakfast, down a half gallon of water, sucks for the first few days, but u will get used to it and learn to love it. Back to eating, I start work at 6am, throw 16-17 tons of garbage on a truck as fast as possible, we run through blocks as fast as possible, lol anyway, usually done no later then 10am. I'm starving by then. Lunch at 11. An hour after the shit, so I'm cooled down and calmed down and ready for the chow. U should be good by this time too. On my way home from work 2pm I drink my protein shake. If I'm lifting that day it's at 3pm. Then dinner at 6, again, ur a powerlifter, eat till u can't anymore, then before bed, snack time. That's 5 quality meals. Def doable.
          Superman55
          Lightweight Member
          Last edited by Superman55; 06-20-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Really doesn't matter what or when u eat. What matters is how much. Calories in vs calories out. Plus could be water weight that ur shedding. Make sure u stay hydrated. I'm 5'8" 200lbs. I drink 2 gallons of water a day. U gotta remember this may be new to u, but u don't wanna lose all u worked for, and u don't have to if you prepare ahead of time

Comment

You could also look up Intermittent fasting?? I don't really know much about it, nor have I ever followed it… But I know that it involves eating once or twice a day between a certain amount of hours… That may work.

Comment

I have the same problem about having to eat when not hungry. I've found it helps to put a little something extra in your meal to really make it more appealing. For example, when I get up I have ZERO appetite, so cramming a cup of oatmeal down my throat is a chore, at best. But if I sprinkle in a few dark chocolate-covered blueberries, then I can wolf it down no problem. It's not the healthiest thing in the world, but I figure it's better than not eating at all.

Sometimes I do the same thing if I'm eating chicken and rice. I'll do something like sprinkle a little shredded cheese over the rice, and all of a sudden I have no problem eating.
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

For trail mix, I typically buy from the local large chain supermarket in the snack section. You can pick some up at gas stations and health food stores as well. My selection process isn't too sophisticated... I pick whatever has the most of the types of fruit and nuts that I prefer due to flavor/textures, and also with some chocolate chips/pieces in there as well because it makes me look forward to snacking on it. That kind of goes along with what Sammich said.

I have done intermittent fasting for the majority of the past 2-3 years. It is eating daily cals in a restricted feeding window. I like it for convenience, and because I prefer to feel fullest at night, when all activity is done for the day, and empty to light until then. I do, however, abandon it when I will be doing strenuous activity earlier in the day (unless I forget to eat if I'm in a hurry). In those cases, which is your situation, I prefer a light-ish breakfast, as long as I have a good 45-60 min to digest.
                  phoenix13
                  OG Mod of all Mods
                  Last edited by phoenix13; 06-22-2015, 04:08 PM.
                  2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                  2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                  2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                  2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                  2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                  2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

It's pricey, but worth the $$ imo, but look into getting a vitamix. You can make some real good mrp shakes with, and that way you don't have to always have whey as the basis for your protein. I throw all sorts of stuff in there for my protein - egg whites, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt.
                    IG - smadayjr
                    YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

Working...
                    X