Bench Question for First Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Question for First Meet

Hey guys, here's the situation.....on Sunday, I'm competing in my first bench competition (Natural Federation, WNPF) 198lb Novice, Raw, LifeTime, weight class. Anyway.....I did my last max effort day (5days ago) and worked up to a paused single at 340 and completely smoked it.....So here's the question....my final attempt on Sunday.....should it be 345? 350? Or should I just wait and see how I feel before making my final decision? Should I stay conservative? Go for broke? Any advice is greatly appreciated.....

Here's my plan...

305(opener) 325 (2nd Attempt)...........????

Originally posted by rowdyhouston View Post
    Hey guys, here's the situation.....on Sunday, I'm competing in my first bench competition (Natural Federation, WNPF) 198lb Novice, Raw, LifeTime, weight class. Anyway.....I did my last max effort day (5days ago) and worked up to a paused single at 340 and completely smoked it.....So here's the question....my final attempt on Sunday.....should it be 345? 350? Or should I just wait and see how I feel before making my final decision? Should I stay conservative? Go for broke? Any advice is greatly appreciated.....

Here's my plan...

305(opener) 325 (2nd Attempt)...........????
    Personally I go
    opener easy
    2nd PR
    3rd Retry second or go for broke

if you smoked 340 why do it again in a meet go for a new PR 345-350, you'll be jacked up from adrenaline. Hopefully it was paused

Comment

I usually have my lifters do what Robb mentioned above. One key thing to rememeber is anything can happen on meet day, for the good or the bad. I would not worry about a 3rd attempt until after your second. Concentrate on destroying your opener and go from there. A long time ago Dave Tate pretty much taught me the same thing. He said "easy opener, 5-10 lb PR on second and if that goes well, get stupid on the third"
      "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

My 340 was paused, probably too long, actually. Thanks for the response guys!

Comment

53, I'm not sure if I'm confident in doing a 40lb jump....so id go, 305, 345 and then go for broke? Not saying I disagree just wondering if that jump will effect me in a negative manner?

Comment

First off, listen to 53grey and Robb!. I say warm up, 285 opener, 340-345 2nd, then 360ish (whatever that is in Kilos). Remember that your 1st and 2nd attempts will take a little out of your final attempt. If this is your first meet, set that opener light and smoke it. You will be nervous and you could miss a command or something and you don't want to bomb out because you started your opener and 2nd too heavy. That being said, I always lift more in competition (due to adrenalin, and the weights being calibrated, better bars, etc.). Good luck!
            "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

I have no advice as I have not done yhis, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck!!!

J
              "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

53, I'm not sure if I'm confident in doing a 40lb jump....so id go, 305, 345 and then go for broke? Not saying I disagree just wondering if that jump will effect me in a negative manner?
                With this being your first meet, every good lift is a PR, even your opener so I would not focus on beating 340. If you do of course that is awesome but wherever you end up for the day you will now have a number to beat at your next meet.

In regards to the 40 pound jump, I would have to train with you to know if you can handle it but I can tell you I would almost never have any of my raw lifters jump 40 pounds on a bench attempt unless they are hitting around 440 or more then it might be in the cards
                "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

53, thanks for the comments!! I really appreciate it

Comment

I would suggest the following, which always worked for me.
                    1st) A weight you can hit any day, any time. Just get in the meet.
                    2nd) Push it a little bt, but it should be a weight you've hit before, maybe your current PR or max.
                    3rd) Balls-to-the-wall, go for the glory.
                    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                    kind of a douche

Comment

Sammich, thanks!

Godsmack, appreciate it, as well!

350lbs is in the cards.....amazing how the mind plays games on you, one minute it says, "You'll kill it" the next minute it says, "I don't know what that weight feels like".....weighed in at 199.2 this morning....only a 1/2 gallon of distilled water today....limited carbs, grilled chicken.....almost there.....can't wait to get weigh ins over and refuel!

Comment

Sammich, thanks!

limited carbs, grilled chicken.....almost there.....can't wait to get weigh ins over and refuel!
                        Seems excessive for less than 1lb..lol Just wake up day of weigh ins and jump in a hot bath for 10min, you will be 2+lb down easy.

Comment

Probably is excessive, but I'm not taking any chances, the last thing I want to do is drive 3 hours to be over.....

Comment

Probably is excessive, but I'm not taking any chances, the last thing I want to do is drive 3 hours to be over.....
                            The logic is flawed. What you weigh in at isn't going to change. If you leave your house at 197 by dieting and restricting food for 2 days or if you leave at 197 after sitting in a bath for 10 min, you're going to weigh the same when you get there. Depending on the meet scale you might be over anyway.

There's really no reason to be restricting water or food to that degree if you don't have to. I wouldn't be eating pop tarts but unless you just cut 15+lb the beginning of the week you're in a place where you can eat semi normal and just pull it off last min. Leaves you in a fed/hydrated state for as long as possible.

I personally aim to go to bed at 3-4lb over on a 20+lb weight cut.

Weigh in is Friday or Saturday?

Comment

I was at 1 gallon Monday, 1.5 gallon Tuesday, 1.5 Wednesday and .5 today. Weigh in is Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X