Muscle strain...I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle strain...I think

I started 5/3/1 just about five weeks ago and have developed, what I think, is a muscle strain in both hamstrings (location described in picture attached). They have been consistently hurting ever since my first week of 3's about four weeks ago. I have done 5/3/1 in the past with no issues but I'm pulling sumo this time around, which is a new movement for me. I used to only pull conventional.

Recovery for all of my other muscles seems fine - e.g. I feel full recovered for squats every Monday - no quad or low back soreness. My hamstrings are the only body part giving me trouble. It does NOT feel like DOMS. It's not sore when I walk and doesn't hurt to the touch, it's when I go into any movement that causes my hamstrings to stretch that I notice the pain. It feels like a really uncomfortable stretch of the hamstrings.

I don't know whether to back off or if it's just my body getting used to the movement.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Any advice is always appreciated
    Attached Files
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Figure & Overall
    2013 NPC Rhode Island - 1st Figure
    2012 NPC Emerald Cup - 2nd Figure
    2010 NPC Northwest Championships - 4th Figure

I have never pulled in that area from training, just from moving shit.

That being said, I would suggest some good ice/heat cycles, and to rest the hamstrings if possible. Also, look into your form. Something as simple as toes pointed off csn change how the muscle reacts. Yes I am being nitpicky, but I know you know your shit, and I am trying to think outside the box to help.

J
    "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

I have had similar issues before

With it hurting for that long I would have an Orthopedic or someone who does ART check it out. This way they can dig around in there to see what may be going on. If they can also perform an ultrasound on the area this is a bonus
      "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
        With it hurting for that long I would have an Orthopedic or someone who does ART check it out. This way they can dig around in there to see what may be going on. If they can also perform an ultrasound on the area this is a bonus
        Hopefully the person will do a thorough physical exam before going for an ultrasound.

I would get it looked at by a professional in person.
        #docswholift
        PGY-1 FM
        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I prolly messed up the exact terminology, they ran a device over my hamstring and it showed up on a screen. The results confirmed what my ART guy already said but I was aready at this other doc for a neck/trap injection and he asked them to check out my hamstring too as he knew they had the machine.

Nexa, what would what I mentioned be called?

My apologies for butchering the name
          "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
            I prolly messed up the exact terminology, they ran a device over my hamstring and it showed up on a screen. The results confirmed what my ART guy already said but I was aready at this other doc for a neck/trap injection and he asked them to check out my hamstring too as he knew they had the machine.

Nexa, what would what I mentioned be called?

My apologies for butchering the name
            Aww, no need to apologize. It probably was an ultrasound.

I'm just mumbling to myself.
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm taking deadlifts out of the line up for this week and next week, just focusing on stretching and recovering. If I'm still feeling pain, I'll schedule an appointment to have it looked at.
              2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Figure & Overall
              2013 NPC Rhode Island - 1st Figure
              2012 NPC Emerald Cup - 2nd Figure
              2010 NPC Northwest Championships - 4th Figure

Comment

Working...
              X