Greatest Carryover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Carryover

I know that this is all personal preference and that somethings will work better for some people than others especially when it comes to different sticking points and so on, that being said, I was wondering what assistance movement do you think has a better carryover to the bench?

DB Flat Bench or Incline Barbell Press?
    The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

I personally like the DB press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
    ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

I should probably add in "and why do you think it has greater carryover?"
      The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Decline bench for me. I know it wasn't on your list but it really hits my pecs and tri's but has my shoulders in a better position. I can decline 20kg more for the same reps due to the lesser range of motion. It gets me "ready" for a heavier flat as when I go to flat the weight feels light.

If I had to choose from your list I would say both or neither as they both don't carry over, being way lighter and heavily shoulder dependent.
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Post a video of you benching, then I can answer

One of my lifters uses heavy incline DB as anything he can get off his chest he will lock when lifting raw as his geared lockout training will carryover, locking out 400 is not an issue as he can lock 600+ in a shirt

I got another raw guy who can get anything off his chest but struggles with lockout so we use floor press with chains
          "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
            Post a video of you benching, then I can answer

One of my lifters uses heavy incline DB as anything he can get off his chest he will lock when lifting raw as his geared lockout training will carryover, locking out 400 is not an issue as he can lock 600+ in a shirt

I got another raw guy who can get anything off his chest but struggles with lockout so we use floor press with chains
            I don't bench again until Thursday and I also don't know when I will be doing any max effort work because I am currently using 5/3/1. That being said, I have no probably off the chest or at lockout. I hit a spot about 4-6 inches off my chest, where my elbows are at approximately 90 degrees, and can't get past it. I feel I need to work on my shoulders more but I've been doing research and getting conflicting info about how it could be shoulders or triceps at that sticking point. Any suggestions?

And it might also be that I am just not strong enough. And just need to get stronger all over.
            Last edited by fat TODD; 04-05-2015, 02:41 PM.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

You may be flaring too soon

No max effort work is fine, anything in the 80-90% range will work
              "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by sampsellta View Post
                I don't bench again until Thursday and I also don't know when I will be doing any max effort work because I am currently using 5/3/1. That being said, I have no probably off the chest or at lockout. I hit a spot about 4-6 inches off my chest, where my elbows are at approximately 90 degrees, and can't get past it. I feel I need to work on my shoulders more but I've been doing research and getting conflicting info about how it could be shoulders or triceps at that sticking point. Any suggestions?

And it might also be that I am just not strong enough. And just need to get stronger all over.
                Would also like to see a video but like Bob said it could be a flaring/timing issue, but don't discount the fact it might indeed be weakness off the chest. You might be surprised to find if you get even faster, and stronger off the chest, this 4" "weak spot" vanishes.

If I am going to miss a bench it is also right around there. I really like dead bench(1" off the chest) and spoto presses to help with that.

Comment

Personally I think the incline barbell would translate to a bigger flat bench. When I trained DC I obviously didn't do flat bench but did incline. In that time I watched my incline barbell press increase steadily probably because I was never that good at the movement to begin with. When I flat benched for the first time in 6 months, my bench went up a lot despite having not flat benched in a while. I still never do but I'd be interested to know what my numbers would be if I trained both incline and flat. Worth noting that during that time training DC, I never did flat DB press except a DB floor press.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                  *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                  •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                  *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

I took a video of me benching yesterday to post but it's not in the right format (.mp4). I tried to find a free video format converter online to change it to the right format but couldn't find one. Anybody have any suggestions?

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Originally posted by sampsellta View Post
                      I took a video of me benching yesterday to post but it's not in the right format (.mp4). I tried to find a free video format converter online to change it to the right format but couldn't find one. Anybody have any suggestions?
                      Ya, upload it to youtube. Welcome to the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                        Ya, upload it to youtube. Welcome to the internet.
                        I don't want to do it this way but I guess I will have to. Thanks.
                        Last edited by fat TODD; 04-10-2015, 11:05 AM.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oTWC4YBhbc&sns=em

This is at 85% of TM, which is about 75% of my 1RM.

Not sure if you can tell but I start to lose my tightness after rep 2 and after rep 3 my shoulder retraction is complete shit. And I am still playing around with my grip (might bring it in a little closer), but this is the same grip that I was using when I was working around my 1RM and decided to ask the initial question about carryover. Any advice is great appreciated as I have always struggled with my bench.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Your video is set to private...

Comment

Originally posted by Anguish View Post
                              Your video is set to private...
                              Thanks for letting me know. I believe it is fixed now. New link below.

http://youtu.be/4oTWC4YBhbc

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Working...
                              X