Inpromptu Meet Deload (5/3/1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inpromptu Meet Deload (5/3/1)

I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and I might sign up for a meet on April 25th. This will be my first meet and like the title says, it's kind of a last minute decision. Since this is unplanned, I didn't program it so that my deload week would fall in line with the meet. Currently, I am balls deep in a scheduled deload week. So I'm looking for some advice on how to schedule a deload.

My plan is to do my 5 rep week this coming week. Then my 3 rep week the week of April 6th. Then do a deload week on the week of 4/20 leading up to the meet. On the following week I plan to re-do the 3 rep week and then continue with the cycle as planned.

Please critique this and help me out.

Also, please feel free to give me any tips or suggestions about meet day.
    The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

I think I'd do it like this:

Week of 4/6: 3's week but base percentages off of actual max, not training max (i.e. 90% of true max), but no extra reps on the 3rd set and no extra sets.

Week of 4/13: 5/3/1 week - but no OHP. Monday Squat / Wednesday Bench / Thursday Deadlift. Then:

Saturday 4/18 work up to what you're planning for your opener on bench and squat - probably what you can hit for a triple.

Monday 4/20 work up to what you're planning for your opener on deadlift - again, probably what you can hit for a triple.

Take the rest of the week off.

Others may have a different opinion. But I think this is how I'd set it up for myself.
    Last edited by moco; 04-02-2015, 08:44 AM.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

definitely have a different opinion. the way I see it is that you have 3 week to peak not including the full week off from lifting before the meet. jim wendler gave a 3 month peaking cycle in 531 for powerlifting but since you have 3 weeks I would do...

(531 sets first, just do the amount you're supposed to, don't goto failure, 3 reps on 3s week etc, stick with current training max)

squat and deadlift and bench(after 531 sets):

wk 1: up to 90% of top attempt @ meet

wk 2: 92%

wk 3: 95%

wk 4: off or do real light stuff to get blood flowing

id stick with paused singles for the bench. on deadlifts or squats if you feel you can get a double or triple, go for it just don't miss any reps. to get to your peaking weights just make smart jumps of like 30 or 40 pounds.

Comment

I like how you both talk about working up to close to my max. Here's the only problem, I train solo at 5:30 in the morning. I'm lucky to have 3 other people in the gym at the same time as me. Every once and a while, one of those three individuals has testes. The testes bearing individual is a 170lb skinny-fat guy that wears rec specs and I have never seen him touch a barbell. I'm comfortable with hitting higher weights that I can definitely hit for 3 reps (90% maybe) but I don't feel comfortable pushing it too hard without proper spotters. This is mainly for squat. I have no problem not using collars for a bench and dumping the weight, but dumping a squat off my back kind of makes me nervous. So any suggestions of how to push my numbers a bit more without compromising safety?
        Last edited by fat TODD; 04-02-2015, 10:33 AM.
        The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

I don't think you should have a problem hitting singles on squats and if you feel good enough, go for doubles or triples. I don't think its paramount for you to do doubles or triples on squats and singles should do fine and allow you to gauge where you're at in regards to your meet attempts. Like I said, you shouldn't be missing any weights to peak for a meet so only do doubles or triples if you 100% know you can do and it wont compromise your safety

Comment

Originally posted by trulysmoked View Post
            squat and deadlift and bench(after 531 sets):

wk 1: up to 90% of top attempt @ meet

wk 2: 92%

wk 3: 95%

wk 4: off or do real light stuff to get blood flowing

I would do something like this but with speedwork as a secondary movement to the main competition lift. Ie. Bench, then do speed bench.

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks guys

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

What trulysmoked said, with cutting out accessory work.

Just go there, get some experience under your belt, and put some numbers down. And have fun.
                #docswholift
                PGY-1 FM
                "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

TrulySmoked-What is your competition experience? Do you compete raw?

Comment

Here is what I have done in the past and it has worked very well. Not sure if you are competing RAW or Unequipped, equipped, whatever, but.. I always work up to my openers on the Monday before the meet for Bench and Squat, then take the rest of the week off completely and just keep some stretching and mobility-type exercises to stay loose. That being said, I always deload the week before that. So, it would look like this:
                    Finish this week with 5's
                    April 6th -11th run the 3's
                    April 13 -Run your deload week and just work speed on everything and nothing to complete failure. One to two sets of accessory work tops, and again not to failure.
                    April 20th - work up to your openers in squat then on bench, then go home with no accessory work.
                    April 21-24 - REST, a bit of light stretching and mobility exercises.
                    April 25th - kill it!
                    Some will say that is "too much time with lower percentages", etc. Sorry, but you don't want to go into a meet with a beat up CNS, and I have always gone 9 for 9 (except once - red lighted on one bench for jumping the REALLY long press command) and ALWAYS hit my PRs each meet. Error on the side of a fully recovered and ready to go CNS and joints! I am not an Elite powerlifter, but I can hold my own in the old man Masters Unequipped division, so take this for what it is worth! LOL!
                    Mostly, have fun and LEARN from others there!
                    "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

There are many many ways to do this. Finding which works for you is prolly not going to happen in the next 3 weeks.Without knowing a lot of details and this being your first meet, I would not sweat it. Every good lift at the meet is going to be a PR, whether it is 100 pounds or 1000. Go, have fun and get a total. Your next meet you can plan from start to finish, peak, and set big PR's.

A couple of points some have posted above that are key are do not miss any attempts in training and take at least a week off. I would not really change much of your training this close to a meet. Open stupid light, like something you could hit with the flu after not eating for 2 days.

The only thing I would really tweak for the meet is something like hitting your last deadlift about 10-12 days out, your last squat 7-8 days out and your last bench 6-7 days out and then stop all training. You will be surprised how heavy you can go even while working in the 80% range for training

Have Fun
                      Open Light
                      Get Total
                      "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

^^ THIS^^
                        Listen to greystreet! Guy knows his stuff. Especially the part about opening light! You will be nervous. Go out and BURY that first squat, so the judges know you are not going to be "questionable" at depth. It is all gravy from there. Have fun and like he said, just get a total to build PRs on.
                        "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

With opening light, how light is too light? In the gym, I've pulled 525 for a single and it felt fairly easy, benched 315 and that was easy, I've only ever squatted for reps. My heaviest single for a squat was 340 which I've squatted for 5 reps before. Would starting at 525, 315, and maybe like 365 be too much? I know most of it is probably preference but I'm just wondering where I should be with openers.

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Originally posted by sampsellta View Post
                            With opening light, how light is too light? In the gym, I've pulled 525 for a single and it felt fairly easy, benched 315 and that was easy, I've only ever squatted for reps. My heaviest single for a squat was 340 which I've squatted for 5 reps before. Would starting at 525, 315, and maybe like 365 be too much? I know most of it is probably preference but I'm just wondering where I should be with openers.
                            I like the "Open with something you can triple" rule. And not a "maybe" triple, like a "My girlfriend left me, my cat died, and I have a cold, but can still triple this" triple.

Comment

Yeah. Pick the worst case scenario triple and go from there. You'll be fine.

Are those numbers lifted all in one day or on multiple days? I'd go lighter.
                              #docswholift
                              PGY-1 FM
                              "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Working...
                              X