Deadlift everyday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlift everyday?

I saw this article on my twitter account and read through it. I found it to be ridiculous even with all the change up and figured that someone just starting out might have it work for them. I want to know who actually does something like this?

http://www.t-nation.com/training/9-w...ter-in-the-gym

Here's a simple example of how you could work in deadlifting every day, or involve some sort of deadlifting pattern on a regular basis:

Monday: Max-tension development, using only 135 pounds. Ten sets of 5. Work on getting as tense and braced up as possible. Envision lifting 1,000 pounds and getting set for it. Take as much rest as you need.
    Tuesday: Max speed: Use 60% of your max weight and work on accelerating the weight from the floor to lockout as fast as possible. Do 8 sets of 3 with a 2-4 minute rest between sets. Westside calls this Dynamic Effort. Olympic weight lifters call it a regular training session.
    Wednesday: Near-max lifts. Use 90% of your max and perform 10 singles after working up through a couple of warm-up sets. Take 3-5 minutes of rest between sets.
    Thursday: 20 x 20 kettlebell swings on the minute. Work on getting the hips to snap the movement fast and hard while keeping the core tense and strong.
    Friday: Pause x 2 deadlifts. On the way up, pause for 3 seconds at 3 inches below the knee, 3 inches above the knee, and then finish at lockout. Lower the weight in one move. Use 75% of max for 6 sets of 5. Rest until you can finally see colors again.
    Saturday: Using 85% of your max, do 1 rep every 30 seconds for 10 minutes.
    Sunday: PR day. See what you can manage, but make sure you don't miss the lift.

Hmmmm... In my opinion... Too much of a good thing to sustain. Maybe to try for a week, maybe not??
    "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
    ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
      I want to know who actually does something like this?
      Nobody.

Nobody does something like that

Or to clarifiy, Dean Somorset does, apparently. Lets just say, that's not his photo in the article
      If at first you don't succeed... Try doing what Skip told you to do the first time.

Comment

One word - garbage.

'You cannot improve your deadlift training it only once per week.' - 100% false and lost me on the first sentence of the article. I put on over 100+lbs to my DL in the lady year only training it once a week.
        IG - smadayjr
        YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

It causes me to wonder if the original source of this article puts out garbage articles as well. What do you think?

Comment

I googled the author's picture, and I was not surprised to see that he looks like Sheldon from TBT.

I think the premise, that is, "deadlifting everyday" would work, the SAID principle would back this up. Sure, anyone doing this can kiss squat progression goodbye.

The way the author puts it is ridiculous. No loading parameters or programing guide. Doesn't make a goddamn sense and he doesn't bother explaining his logic behind it. Just fancy terms (Tnation style) thrown in and random shout-outs for the reader to man-up.
            "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

It might look ridiculous to some people (especially the ones who are incredibly paranoid about overtraining, you all know at least one guy who is like that aha) but it isn't as crazy as it might initially seem it requires one to be EXTREMELY knowledgeable about how to regulate one's intensity and how to increase nutrition accordingly and it requires one to have slowly built up their work capacity over time to a certain level but if all those things are TOTALLY under control it can actually be a very productive way to go (for the short term of course, this kind of stuff can't be done for months and months unless you wanna completely fuck yourself up).
              I know quite a few Olympic weightlifters and they all swear by the Bulgarian method, which isn't exactly like this (as it doesn't have them deadlifting every day) but it does have once or even twice a day maxing out for lots of sets in the clean and jerk and snatch and squat, and DAMN do they keep on getting stronger (only one of them is on gear by the way, so you can't blame steroids). As with everything the efficacy of this is totally subjective and the most important thing is that people listen to what their body tells them.

Comment

Concerning the proximity to Bulgarian method....Olympic lifts are fast and explosive, and have a much higher force output than a deadlift by nature. They're easier on the CNS than a max deadlift. Pulling max deadlifts multiple times a day would probably kill me.

Would be interesting to see what kind of results someone got from this sort of routine. I'm not volunteering....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Rav Sandhu View Post
                  Concerning the proximity to Bulgarian method....Olympic lifts are fast and explosive, and have a much higher force output than a deadlift by nature. They're easier on the CNS than a max deadlift. Pulling max deadlifts multiple times a day would probably kill me.

Would be interesting to see what kind of results someone got from this sort of routine. I'm not volunteering....lol.
                  That is not totally correct, the Olympic lifts can produce a minimally lower central nervous system output, but this is HUGELY compensated for in training volume and frequency. So in the end there is pretty much no difference at all, and that is before you take into account that doing only deadlifts every day (all other exercises are done as normal) is only one exercise, when the lifts done every single day are 2 Olympic lifts and a couple assistance lifts (front squats and shit like that). If you factor in the WHOLE Olympic program it is actually a lot harder on the CNS and your body in general than just doing deadlifts every day for a short period of time (the Bulgarian method isn't something you just run occasionally like this deadlift thing). I know countless people who have benefitted from doing an exercise every day for a short period of time, my buddy benched every day for a week and gained 15lbs on it (this was after years of training so no noob gains), I deadlifted every day of the week for a week too and I put 20lbs on my deadlift (and this was during wrestling season so I was doing cardio pretty much every single day too), and so on. I don't mean to make it seem like your point isn't valid, I just think that we shouldn't use absolutes when it comes to this kind of thing in training because many many times it can be a productive thing if you know what you are doing. And that is the key to everything, know your body and how you respond to things, I think that being scared of doing something just because some random person told you it was bad back in the day is a kind of behavior that will hurt you in the end, when it comes to training one needs to know what works for THEM, and other random ass people can't really know what works for you, can they? So my point is that you shouldn't scream "overtraining!" or "no way" just because someone told you to, you should make an informed decision as to if you agree or not about the specific methodology.

Sorry for the rant guys I get carried away sometimes.

Comment

I love deadlift, its one of my favorite compound exercise, but i am not doing it more than 2 days a week. One during leg day and other during back day.

Comment

No

Comment

If you can Squat every day I see no reason why you cannot DL every day. A lot of people think Squatting more will lead to a big DL. I see no reason why this is a one way street.
                        The promotion of the training methods used by drug-assisted and genetically giften men wreaks havoc, despite these men being presented as demigods in the bodybuilding world. Sure they have inspired millions, but at the same time they have misled millions; and their "intruction" has robbed millions of people of the best training years of their lives.
                        -Stuart McRobert

Comment

Originally posted by NewLifter4DC View Post
                          If you can Squat every day I see no reason why you cannot DL every day. A lot of people think Squatting more will lead to a big DL. I see no reason why this is a one way street.
                          Doing either one of those movements everyday comes to a point of diminishing returns. But pulling seems to damper your recovery longer than squatting, or any other movement. So doing it more times per week doesn't seem like a better idea.

Comment

If you're training for a marathon, then obviously the best way to train is to run a marathon every single day! In fact, it would be even better to run 2 or 3 marathons every day!
                            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                            kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                              If you're training for a marathon, then obviously the best way to train is to run a marathon every single day! In fact, it would be even better to run 2 or 3 marathons every day!
                              I saw what you did there.

Comment

Working...
                              X