Squat-Deads-Bench Ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat-Deads-Bench Ratio

For all of you powerlifters out there. If your goal was to be a well rounded powerlifter and not just excel in 1 lift, is there an ideal ratio among the 3 lifts?

Example: Squat 2xs your bench press, deadlift 1.5xs your benchpress? Obviously everyone has their strengths and weaknesses but in a perfect world?

It's tough, as I don't think the ratios are linear.
    500, 600, 400 seems pretty good and balanced to me, but so does 600,800,500. Of course, this is my ignorant, non-powelifting opinion, so take that with a grain of salt.
    2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Macho's ignorant opinion is not that far off for me personally (don't get me wrong, he is ignorant, and pretty damn ugly as well), but it is difficult to say it would be nice and linear for everyone. I have seen some great squatters with crappy pull numbers and vice versa. Powerlifting, from what I have seen in my short time in it is all about structure and body levers (along with technique of course). Most 6' 5" guys are not built genetically (leverage wise) for squatting (I know there are exceptions, but you get my point). I think bench is the one lift affected most by your body weight, and I have heard that from others in the sport... "want a bigger bench, eat your way there, or go up a weight class!"
      "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Well let's look at some data shall we?

Now I don't have a ton of data points because I just did this quickly - I recorded the best squat, bench press, and deadlift for the top male lifter in each raw weight class from this year's AAPF, SPF, and APA Nationals. This provides me with data for 21 lifters.

If we use the bench press as the normalizer then the average ratio across lifters was 1.5/1/1.6. That is a squat that is 1.5 times the bench press, and a deadlift that is 1.6 times the bench press. This of course varies by weight class with lighter lifters having a higher ratio while heavier lifters have a lower ratio. It seems that the bench press continues to climb as weight classes go up while the squat and deadlift do not continue to increase at the same rate.

We can also look at the strength performance standards that are listed here:
        http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

Here are the elite ratios (S/B/D) by weight based on those tables:

114 - 1.5/1/1.8
        123 - 1.4/1/1.7
        132 - 1.4/1/1.7
        148 - 1.4/1/1.7
        165 - 1.4/1/1.6
        181 - 1.4/1/1.6
        198 - 1.4/1/1.6
        220 - 1.4/1/1.5
        242 - 1.4/1/1.5
        275 - 1.4/1/1.5
        319 - 1.4/1/1.5
        320+ - 1.4/1/1.4

I'm not powerlifting currently but my ratio is 1.4/1/1.6 which is consistent with the above.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
        2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
        2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
        2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
        2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Thanks, Moco. Very interesting! My current ratio is about 1.3/1/1.6 (and I am nursing a hip injury), so it is very close to the 1.4/1/1.6 @198 class. Thanks for the info.
          "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Good stuff Moco! I am above the advanced but far from the elite for the 220 pounders. Current ratio of 1.3/1/1.5. I've finally found my groove on squats again and hope to see some big gains start to happen.

Comment

Also remember that ratios will be skewed depending on whether you're looking at with or without knee wraps. And if you start looking at equipped (either single- or multi-ply), you might as well just quit.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

According to Moco's chart I'm right there as a 165 lb'er.

1.5/1/1.7 But, my bench sucks.
                2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Hmmm....interesting chart.

1.4/1/1.57 for me
                  IG - smadayjr
                  YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

finally tested and did my math...

1.5/1/1.7
                    good stuff to know I am "normal"
                    "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
                    ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                      Well let's look at some data shall we?

Now I don't have a ton of data points because I just did this quickly - I recorded the best squat, bench press, and deadlift for the top male lifter in each raw weight class from this year's AAPF, SPF, and APA Nationals. This provides me with data for 21 lifters.

If we use the bench press as the normalizer then the average ratio across lifters was 1.5/1/1.6. That is a squat that is 1.5 times the bench press, and a deadlift that is 1.6 times the bench press. This of course varies by weight class with lighter lifters having a higher ratio while heavier lifters have a lower ratio. It seems that the bench press continues to climb as weight classes go up while the squat and deadlift do not continue to increase at the same rate.

We can also look at the strength performance standards that are listed here:
                      http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

Here are the elite ratios (S/B/D) by weight based on those tables:

114 - 1.5/1/1.8
                      123 - 1.4/1/1.7
                      132 - 1.4/1/1.7
                      148 - 1.4/1/1.7
                      165 - 1.4/1/1.6
                      181 - 1.4/1/1.6
                      198 - 1.4/1/1.6
                      220 - 1.4/1/1.5
                      242 - 1.4/1/1.5
                      275 - 1.4/1/1.5
                      319 - 1.4/1/1.5
                      320+ - 1.4/1/1.4

I'm not powerlifting currently but my ratio is 1.4/1/1.6 which is consistent with the above.
                      I'm 1.7/1/1.7 for the 198 weight class. But my bench isn't great if you compare it to others in my weight class

Comment

I am new to lifting. I've been told I'm a has been before I've even started because I'm 35. Can I have some guidance as to what to read first please

Comment

Originally posted by jaydenwilson View Post
                          I am new to lifting. I've been told I'm a has been before I've even started because I'm 35. Can I have some guidance as to what to read first please
                          Read this before anything else:

Completely disregard shitty opinions from other people.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                          Instagram: @intensemuscle
                          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

^Yeah, that. Get rid of those people, STAT.

IBtroll
                            #docswholift
                            PGY-1 FM
                            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I'm just getting started, but according to the book I'm reading you can always expect your Deadlift to be your strongest, squat next, bench press next, and overhead press last. If your order is different, you're over/undertraining something.

Now those are someone elses words, not mine. But it sounds logical to me, so I'm going to approach my training with that in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X