Assistance exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance exercises

What are the better assistance lifts to incorporate with the main powerlifting exercises?

Here is what I have been doing.

For the bench
    2-3 sets of 10 on lighter weight bench
    end with 3 sets of 8-10 Db press
    tris
    CG bench 3 sets of 8-10
    rope pushdowns and then rope pushdowns with split usually 2-3 sets 10ish

squats
    2-3 sets of 10 with light weight
    ham extensions 3-4 sets of 10
    (that is sadly it)

deadlift
    2-3 sets of 10ish using lighter weight
    pulldowns
    cg row
    wide rows all 3 sets of 10
    Sometimes end it with a Kroc row for 20+

miltary press
    2-3 sets of 10 with lighter weight
    arnold press 3 sets of 10
    starting to use pullups. I can do 1 so far.
    biceps
    2-3 sets of 5
    2-3 sets of 10
    hammers - experimenting with

Am I doing too much volume work?

My goal is a foundation of pure strength.
    I want to layer this with mass because I am small frame and I need to build up my forearms alot.
    I am 44, 6'1" tall and 220 with about 25% bf.

My routine, on the main lifts is doing 2 sets of 5. At times I will take it up to a set of 3 or 2 to push my body more. I got stuck in this routine as a result of training last year with a powerlifter. It is the routine he uses so I just stayed with it for now.

bench pr is 210
    deadlift 365
    squat 285 for 5. Never tried a pr on it.
    I have a cheap bodybuilding style belt but I don't use it.

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
    Am I doing too much volume work?

bench pr is 210
    deadlift 365
    squat 285 for 5. Never tried a pr on it.
    I have a cheap bodybuilding style belt but I don't use it.
    In terms of making the most out of your assisatance work, yes, not only is there too much of a focus on volume here, there's no periodization so I can't imagine you making much progress anyways before you accommodate to the stimulus. But as a note on volume, I don't even believe sets of anything above 5 on the deadlift will help with strength with the exception of doing just one, all-out set.

So number one, I would develop a plan where you might start out with high rep sets early in your training but move up in weights and decrease the reps. You definitely want to be spending most of your time in the 4-8 range, with a little bit of time in the 2-3 and 10-12+ rep range, too. Also, you may find that you'll have to swap out an exercise for a different one if it's not helping you improve your main lifts. The goal of your accessory work is to improve your main lifts, so if it's not helping improve your main lifts you need to change it up.

Your program is not very balanced in terms of pressing to pulling, either, or at the very minimum IR:ER. While lats are definitely secondary to triceps and shoulders with respect to benching muscles, they are still important and should be worked more than once a week.

I can't really comment on exercise selection as this is individual to the lifter and their weak points.
    Big R
    Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 1370 Total in the 242 class
    Last edited by Big R; 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Your majoring in the minors. Too much volume and random exercise selection for assistances.

Your goals are a bit skewed: pure strength and hypertrophy and then forearm mass (note on forearms, they will grow from heavy deads/rows/farmer walks alone, dont fret on them)
      Which goal do you want...pure strength or hypertrophy. Pick one at a time and smash it.
      Having said that:
      I AM NOT PICKING ON YOU HERE. If you are a true 25% bf, do you think it would be prudent to trim that down substantially? I am not talking single digit bodyfat, just a leaner physique.
      Wouldnt that be a better goal for now, that will help you substantially in the long run?

EDIT- you are using someone else program..its programmed for his weaknesses (and its a weird set up).
      Stop doing it now. Buy starting strength...read it.
      Buy 5/3/1 (1st or 2nd edition)
      Serious.
      Go to elitefts.net now and buy them

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
      martin_h
      Middleweight Member
      Last edited by martin_h; 03-28-2014, 02:18 PM.

Comment

It all depends also on where you are weak and strong in each movement.

As far as the sets and reps go that varies on the weight/intensity level on the body.

I cycle mine personally from heavy, med and light. Just my preference. As you get to a meet I recommend pulling all assistance work the last 4 weeks. Again we aren't spring chickens so recovery is imperative.
        International Elite Raw Powerlifter
        Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn "Future" Bellon View Post
          It all depends also on where you are weak and strong in each movement.

As far as the sets and reps go that varies on the weight/intensity level on the body.

I cycle mine personally from heavy, med and light. Just my preference. As you get to a meet I recommend pulling all assistance work the last 4 weeks. Again we aren't spring chickens so recovery is imperative.
          Would you base recovery on training age or age of the person?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Age of person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            International Elite Raw Powerlifter
            Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Working...
            X