bench grip - raw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bench grip - raw

been reading up on some bench press PL lately. getting confused for tips since many articles are unclear whether they are primed for raw or shirted benchers.

for bench grip raw, what is ideal width?
    and when training close grip, how close should it be and how close SHOULDN't it be? when i first started out like all other noobs, i recall doing cgbp with thumbs touching or just a few inches away, like an idiot.

the bars i have to work with are standard commercial barbells, so pls keep that in mind if you use "rings" as a grip metric

There is no "ideal". It is going to depend on limb length, where you are comfortable, and where you are strongest.

One way of determining a starting point is get down on the ground and do a pushup. Measure the distance between middle fingers, and replicate that on a BB. You will tend to get into a powerful position, naturally.

Another way is to take a grip where your forearms are perpendicular to the floor at the bottom.

I personally was having a lot of nagging pec issues, and am generally stronger with a tad closer grip so my grip is a "thumb length from smooth".

As for "close grip" that could be anything closer than your normal grip. I personally only move in a finger or so for "close grip", so basically I set up with my cuticle from smooth, vs the whole thumb length.

Comment

Narrower the grip more tris. Wider more chest/front delts. I grip pointer on the line, which is a bit wider than most.

Comment

hmm ok i've been benching with the index right outside the ring since i though PL benching is stronger wide. is this more for shirted?

will try close medium wide on dynamic day :p

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
          hmm ok i've been benching with the index right outside the ring since i though PL benching is stronger wide. is this more for shirted?

will try close medium wide on dynamic day :p
          You're stronger, where you're stronger. Rom is shorter with a wide grip but doesn't mean you're stronger.

Here's an example of someone extremely strong with a "close" (thumbs from smooth) grip.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALAV...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
            There is no "ideal". It is going to depend on limb length, where you are comfortable, and where you are strongest.

One way of determining a starting point is get down on the ground and do a pushup. Measure the distance between middle fingers, and replicate that on a BB. You will tend to get into a powerful position, naturally.

Another way is to take a grip where your forearms are perpendicular to the floor at the bottom.

I personally was having a lot of nagging pec issues, and am generally stronger with a tad closer grip so my grip is a "thumb length from smooth".

As for "close grip" that could be anything closer than your normal grip. I personally only move in a finger or so for "close grip", so basically I set up with my cuticle from smooth, vs the whole thumb length.
            Bingo!

Building on this, having an ultra close grip can put your shoulders in a vulnerable position, so the thing for you (and preferably a spotter) to watch for is if your shoulders roll forward/down when you're touching your chest/sternum at the bottom of a close grip. If you do this, you need to widen your grip or/and use some boards/restrict the range of motion. Strengthening your rear delts and mid/lower traps might be in order as well.

Observation and self awareness is huge in this sport and will help you both get strong and stay healthy.

Comment

good tips, thanks everyone. will keep this in mind in the bench sessions for i haven't flat bneched in almost a yr

@big r, that looks tough to spot. might need to video for that, since commercial gyms don't really have aware PL guys. does that condition occur at any weight or only near max effort ones?

embedded the video for everyone since imprez is pooter-challenged :p

[youtube]ALAVu-nnuIQ[/youtube]
              wow this guy is a monster^. noticed he spends extremely little time getting a big setup though -- is this just a different style? (i'm only aware of the big arch setups a la elitefts)
              greensoup
              Middleweight Member
              Last edited by greensoup; 02-11-2014, 06:11 AM.

Comment

just in case anyone was wondering, here's dave tate's opinion

On a texas power bar,
                close grip = index on textured part, as close to center smooth part. (17inch apart from index fingers)
                medium = pinkies on rings (24 inches)
                wide = index on rings (32 inches and max legal width i think)

Comment

Those statements are peculiar considering everyone has different shoulders, limb lengths, and shoulder widths, and what's wide for me might be ultra-wide for you, etc. A better barometer would be the arm/shoulder/pec angle, but nobody is about to get out their pocket protractor at the gym to see what's what. For me, close grip is arms straight (about a thumbs length from the smooth), narrow grip is inch closer than competition, comp is middle or ring finger on the rings, and wide would be index on the rings or further out than that.

Comment

this is a pretty good idea

Comment

Working...
                    X