Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Meet

Hey all,
    I did my first PL meet last weekend. I lost my PL virginity! I had a blast, learned a lot, and met some very nice and helpful people. I did the Kansas regional in the NASA federation. I weighed in at 188.9 so I competed in the 198 Masters1 RAW division (yes, I am old- 44). I hit my 402 squat no problem (the one I was worried about). It went up fast. I then hit my 304 bench but was red-lighted for jumping the gun on the "press" command. My wife taped it and I couldn't see where I was ahead of the command, but oh well, it went up pretty fast so I was happy with that. I only got the 287 (second attempt) due to the red lights on the 3rd. Then, by the time I got to deads, my back was starting to tighten quite a bit. I opened with 424, then got 485 on my second attempt, but 501 was NOT going up! ;-) My total ended up at 1173, and I got 1st place in the Masters1 division for my weight class. Results are posted on the NASA-sports.com website for anyone who might be interested.
    Overall, for my first meet I was happy and had a blast, although today I can't bend over to tie my shoes! ;-). I came from a bodybuilding background in the NANBF and won my pro card in the IFPA Masters division last year, so I thought I would try PLing, and I am hooked. I ran Wendlers' 5-3-1 for about 8 weeks before the meet, so I will stick with that awhile and see where I get. Thanks to Trucelt and others for the PMs, links and info, and encouragement. Can't wait for my next meet!

Max
    "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Congrats!
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Awsome job bro... Glad you did well sounded like a blast
      I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
      I too like to live dangerously

Comment

What format did you run? Just the original? Running cube now but getting burnt out in week 8. May go back to 531 but maybe with the 6 week blasts, joker sets, and first set last. But who knows, gonna finish out my cube blast and see what my maxes are then

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ps awesome job

Comment

Originally posted by grammo13 View Post
            What format did you run? Just the original? Running cube now but getting burnt out in week 8. May go back to 531 but maybe with the 6 week blasts, joker sets, and first set last. But who knows, gonna finish out my cube blast and see what my maxes are then

I used the 5-3-1 Triumvirate, and yes it is somewhat boring, but I love the simplicity and sometimes add in some different auxiliary work. I was using Max-OT and later DC for bodybuilding so moving heavy weights and eating like a horse was not really a new thing, just never broke it down into percentages like the 5-3-1 does. Really like progressing and getting stronger, though it is a slower process at my age, but it is still progress!

Comment

Great job man! Its always tough gettin that first meet under your belt.
              IG - smadayjr
              YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

Rather than start a new thread (I am saving virtual trees), I thought I would just ask some PL peeps for some feedback and critique on my DL form. I know it is not the best video (my head is cut off for most of it), but I was focusing more on my back arch/hip placement and leg drive. I really just want to know if I am in a decent starting position, because I fell like I could get more leg drive somehow if I get things fine tuned. The weight was moderately heavy (for me. I pulled 485 in my meet) so, I thought it was heavy enough to see any major weaknesses, but maybe I need to film something closer to my max to see those better? Thanks for any replies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwGbowlmVWg
                Max

Comment

Man I am far from being an expert on this... but since you are asking:
                  I will say from my PERSONAL experience I would not spend so much time bent over the bar before you deadlift. I personally like charging the bar, getting into position as quickly as possible, dropping down and getting my grip, and then jerking that shxt up as fast as I can. Anytime I hover over the bar with my back bent like that I feel it draining my strength. I try to explode out of the hole with as much speed as I can. Here is a video of how I like to approach the bar and set up (just skip to the 2:45 mark). I was so amped that day I think I could have hit another 50lbs but that was my 3rd and final attempt. On this day in the vid I weighed 175. My attempts were 501, 528 and 550. The vid only shows 550.

Ps you and I are about the same age. Congrats on your step into the PL arena. I am now focusing on putting on some cosmetic muscle and added 15 lbs since this video, but honestly I am a (wannabe) powerlifter at heart.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyAk42r2EvY

Like I said, I am no expert but I have a tender low back. I switched to sumo years ago in order to stay more erect. This allows me to explode out of the hole without over-taxing my low back.
                  Last edited by Swaminator; 01-13-2014, 11:00 PM.
                  Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Swam,
                    You are a beast. Thanks for the feedback. I too have a tender low back (old wrestling injury). I will try to spend less time over the bar.. makes sense to me, kinda like lineman who have to wait for that long count in football in their 3-point stance..zaps the legs and energy. I am very unconventional though in that I set my hands first and then move my feet in position. I have tried it both ways and I seem to have a better power groove when I set my hands and then squeeze my legs in between the narrow grip. Hard to explain. I soooo wish I could Sumo, but I have tried it a few times and my knees really ache afterwards (like can't walk...limping). It puts a lot of pressure on my knees and hips (both of which aint' what they used to be! LOL!) Thanks again for the feedback, I will try and get a little more amped up and also spend less time in set up if I can.

Comment

ok cool. it sounds like you already have a firm grasp of the big picture. you have to do what works for you. just because ed coan sumo deads doesn't mean everyone should. guys are simply build differently and have ailments to work around. for me, the LEAST amount of time I spend bent over is the best. for me, once I get some tension on the bar, I really focus on ripping that thing off the ground as FAST as I can. I get a deep breath...drop down, grasp the bar and explode up. as I get to the top I exhale. but I want a tight core in the hole as I jerk that thing up. I have never injured my low back deadlifting* so I know this works for me.

*I have injured my low back doing t-bar rows and barbell bent rows and both these lifts involve me bending over at the waist for extended periods of time.
                      Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Working...
                      X