front squat shoulder blade position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front squat shoulder blade position

where should the scapula be? is it retracted or rolled forward (like a lat spread)?

going to add this in to help with front squatting, but also for abs/upper back strengthening mainly.

Edit see below
    Last edited by martin_h; 11-21-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

hmm have a tough time imagining how to retract scaps without my elbows starting to point outward rather than straight forward. will play around

Comment

THink of lifting your chest up..I mis-explained myself a little there,Lats should be tight, lift chest up and elbows pointed forward. The bar will nearly be directly over the hips and the mid foot. When you squat down, your back should stay vertical, because of this your knees will be well in front of your toes to keep your torso in the upright position.

You wont be contracting your scapula like I mistakingly wrote..I fcked up my answer by going from the front squat to the low bar back squat (as I had just been answering a client on low bar back squats) so disregard that in my original answer.....the scalpula upwardly rotates in the front squat, this is because the elbows are high and must remain high in the lift, otherwise the bar rolls orward off the shoulder.

Front squats will tax the upper back because of this. SO be mindful of that too bud.
        Last edited by martin_h; 11-21-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
          THink of lifting your chest up..I mis-explained myself a little there,Lats should be tight, lift chest up and elbows pointed forward. The bar will nearly be directly over the hips and the mid foot. When you squat down, your back should stay vertical, because of this your knees will be well in front of your toes to keep your torso in the upright position.

You wont be contracting your scapula like I mistakingly wrote..I fcked up my answer by going from the front squat to the low bar back squat (as I had just been answering a client on low bar back squats) so disregard that in my original answer.....the scalpula upwardly rotates in the front squat, this is because the elbows are high and must remain high in the lift, otherwise the bar rolls orward off the shoulder.

Front squats will tax the upper back because of this. SO be mindful of that too bud.
          perfect, using it as a supplement to train weak points for squ/dl (upper back round / abs cave in).

looked up a ton of front squat vids. not many people actually stay close to vertical but have some degree of hips moving back a little bit.

Comment

I know you have mentioned good mornings in your other thread, you want to get perfecting those asap, they are one of my fav exercises now.

Any weighted ab work and hanging leg raises will help strength your abs, so don't forget those.

Dont forget from your spine safety thread, I posted the link to Bret Contreas rounded upper back in the deadlift..it may suit your bio mechanically to have a rounded upper back when deadlifting.

People leaning forward when front squatting (depending on the degree that they are leaning forward) are just fcking up the lift and making it a lot harder for themselves to do the exercise, more often than not, you'll find that these people will get to a certain weight and stall and not progress any longer. Dan Green is a big big seller of the front squat and infact (if I remember correctly) front squats exclusively now (paraphrasing him from his blog on another site -not mentioning name of site/forum out of respect for Skip, I can PM if you want it).

Comment

thx martin

for me, i'm doing a lot of those GM and other crap, aka bringing up weaknesses for squat/deadlift, because i sprained my wrist doing kroc rows and can't do deadlifts or much pressing, and it got me learning a lot.

GM issue for me is keeping the bar from moving on my neck/traps/post delts as i get lower. in the squat, its locked on my posterior delt but since the torso leans forward much more in GM, the bar shifts/rolls a little bit. giant rash on my back now :p. playing around with bar position to avoid that rash.

here's the front squat lean i am talking about.
              [YOUTUBE]TsCEUhBnf_Q[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Much like in the low bar back squat, you need to jam the bar into your back (under the spine of the scalpula--on top of the rear delts). You need to assume a good grip on the bar Between the knurl end and the smooth part of the bar, because if you have a real wide grip the upper back tightness is lost, which puts you in a weaker position for the lift (shoulder flexibility will be a factor here). A thumbless grip is also preferable if not essential: this ensures the weight stays on your back and doesnt transfer onto the arms, by keeping the wrist in line with the forearm. Your arms should be pushed back in line with the angle of your back and not vertical to the floor. The bar will not move from postion. The main things to remember with the Good Morning is that you need to keep this back tighness, chest needs to remain elevated(the bar should not move, it will be jammed in, remember to grip the bar tighly, (control the bar) and then with whatever foot position you prefer (shoulder width/sumo width etc) slight bend in the knee, Now push the hips back as far as you can, whilst keeping the chest elevated, keeping the lower back arched, when you are near parellel to the floor, drive/squeeze your glutes forward as fast as you can until you come to the starting position.

Hip hinge and having a good hinge is fundemental in the good morning, start off light and perfect this, and soon enough your posterior chain and core will be thanking you.

Will look at the vid later on, just replied fast whilst working.

Comment

thanks,
                  just got back from a GM workout. needless to say showering stung like hell >. not sure why the bar even rolls (prob a mm or so) but the friction against the skin just rashes it up.

on seated good mornings this is more egregious, since i do the spinal version where my chest needs to drop a little to get the thoracic extension muscles trained. the bar will come on top or or beyond the top of my scapula bump near the bottom of the lift, which causes bar movement to shift forward a little. this is probably why they use safety bar >:[

front squat i think i have down now. likely just a weak core and back that caused elbow drop. did a 10s hold at the end too.

Comment

This information is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other.

Comment

Your work is carry the information to the other people. People see your blog and get benifit.I have bookmarked this and will return soon more about it thank you.
                      Last edited by zeeshan12; 06-26-2014, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X