Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuck at lockout - upper back or glutes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck at lockout - upper back or glutes?

Can anyone tell via this picture whether or not my failure to lock this deadlift out is a back, glute, speed, or overall weakness issue?

Here's the video as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvB6lZuxlo

Any advice is much appreciated!

EDIT: At this meet I did deadlift-only, so my hips weren't tired from squatting or anything.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by btech; 07-21-2013, 12:18 PM.

Looks like you failed to really drive your hips/glutes into it, and through to me.

Do you have a video of your DL with a lighter weight?

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
      Looks like you failed to really drive your hips/glutes into it, and through to me.

Do you have a video of your DL with a lighter weight?
      Here is my opener from that same meet;
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ykAg4NwOI

Comment

It'll be glutes, my man. You need to learn how to hump the bar at the top. Instead of thinking about pulling it up with your upper back, think about really contracting your glutes (butt lol) and driving your hips under the bar without lifting it up vertically. Reverse hyperextensions can really help with that, as can simply practicing it with each and every rep to get into the habit of it.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
          It'll be glutes, my man. You need to learn how to hump the bar at the top. Instead of thinking about pulling it up with your upper back, think about really contracting your glutes (butt lol) and driving your hips under the bar without lifting it up vertically. Reverse hyperextensions can really help with that, as can simply practicing it with each and every rep to get into the habit of it.
          Thank you Sammich!

Much appreciated, I've got a plan now.

Comment

Dimel Reads that is all. Add pull thrus too

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
              Dimel Reads that is all. Add pull thrus too
              Dimmel deadlifts, I see the connection - they're done for higher reps, like in this Tate/Westside seminar video right?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5NZs97ehGU

Comment

Originally posted by btech View Post
                Dimmel deadlifts, I see the connection - they're done for higher reps, like in this Tate/Westside seminar video right?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5NZs97ehGU
                Yessir

Comment

Yup. They should be explosive and fast. really drive through and squeeze yourass.

Comment

Oh and watching your other video you just appear to have a really soft lockout. Get aaggressive and explosive with it and really drive through into the bar.

You had the strength ffor that 550. You mmissed it purely because of that. Imo

If you put say 225 on there(something light) it would look downright violent.

Comment

Here's a fun cue to engage the glutes and drive your hips forward:
                      FUCK THE BARBELL
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

All of the information posted already is fantastic and will certainly help with the pull/lockout

I also noticed an issue before the pull even begins. You are not taking the slack out of the bar and flexing everything to get into position. You are merely sitting your hips into position then starting the pull. You want to pull yourself into position by flexing everything very hard (minus biceps). Get rigid and tight before even grabbing the bar. Once you grab the bar (while hips are still high) you will begin by flexing your triceps as hard as possible. Then you want to physically pull yourself down into position as you take the slack out of the bar. Everything should be extremely tight by this time. As soon as your hips hit the sweet spot, drive your heels into the ground and shove your hips forward with everything you got
                        "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

I agree with what has already been said. You definitely have a soft lockout as you can see in the video of your opener. Definitely work on strengthening your glutes. Dimel deads and pull throughs are great exercises. My favorite is kettlebell swings, both the one arm and two arm variations, just be sure that your arms are hanging loose.

Another thing I would recommend is to play around with your feet positioning a little bit. No major changes, but just try moving them in and out an inch or two or maybe pointing your toes more straight ahead or slightly further pointing out. See if it allows you to open up your hips easier and finish your pulls stronger. Your finish wasn't all that smooth even on your opener which is the only reason I bring up positioning. Just try out some different foot placements

I agree with GreyStreet as well about pulling the slack out of the bar. Some people might disagree, but just prior to starting the pull I want to be in a position where I am already applying 90+ percent effort onto the bar and where if I were to let go of the bar I would go flying backwards. That means everything is already engaged and that I am applying force backwards, as well as up. Setting up and preloading the bar took me a long time to learn but once I did it greatly improved my deadlifts. If you watch your videos, the first movement is almost a jerk and you can see your upper back collapse before the bar even leaves the floor. It's a deadlift, not a deadjerk
                          Last edited by Squat2Depth; 07-22-2013, 03:50 PM.
                          Squat2Depth.blogspot.com

Comment

I am notoriously awful at pulling the slack out of the bar, once the weight gets heavy. On my warm ups I am usually pretty good, but once I get up to heavier weight I start yanking the piss out of it... meh

I really want to start pulling with a dedicated DL bar, because I think feeling the flex of the bar will help me mentally.

Comment

I thank y'all again for your help. The following are part of my plan;

- strengthen glutes (part of this plan includes getting my squat up)
                              - Dimel deadlifts for lockout power
                              - play w/ feet positioning
                              - pulling the slack out of the bar, especially in the way Grey Street mentioned

Grey Street and Squat2Depth, thank you for explaining the process of how to pull the slack out of the bar. I've read about this cue many times but I never would've guessed that it's a smart move to do that as you're pulling yourself into position! I've recently tried this (on a standard barbell) and so it's what I do now - thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X