Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often to switch assistance/accesory work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often to switch assistance/accesory work?

Pretty basic. What have some of your more experienced lifters found to be an ideal length of time to run assistance/accessory movements? I was planning on switching mine out every 3 weeks with the current program i'm running, but feel like i'm still getting stronger on those lifts and perhaps would be better to leave them in a bit longer.

On the flip side I don't want to develop weaknesses/imbalances because i'm doing the same stuff all the time.

Feed back/guidance is appreciated.
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

How often to switch assistance/accesory work?

Not that experienced, but I'll give my experience.

I change mine out as my area of deficiency changes. For instance; in my squat, my upper back causes my ME failure, so right now I'm really focusing on that. Next time I squat heavy, I'll assess the video and see where I break down. If it's core next time, I'll back off on upper back *some* and hammer core. I don't care how strong I am at accessory movements, I oly evaluate their efficacy as it relates to making my big lift better.

I'm lazy, so training efficiency is paramount to me; if my accessory doesn't translate directly, right now, I ain't doin it. I'll prob get blasted for that...

In terms of evaluating, since I'm using Cube Method, the heavy day for any given lift is every 3rd week, so I guess my opportunity to observe & change falls in with your timeline.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

I personally have a group of accesory lifts that I like for each body part....I train main lifts for strength, and my accessories are used for hypertrophy... That being said, my accesory lifts are rotated DC style. I pick 3 for each body part and rotate accordingly. A lot of people say, don't major in the minor, but I strongly believe in and endorse accesory lifts.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
        Pretty basic. What have some of your more experienced lifters found to be an ideal length of time to run assistance/accessory movements? I was planning on switching mine out every 3 weeks with the current program i'm running, but feel like i'm still getting stronger on those lifts and perhaps would be better to leave them in a bit longer.

On the flip side I don't want to develop weaknesses/imbalances because i'm doing the same stuff all the time.

Feed back/guidance is appreciated.
        I'm assuming you are referring to 5/3/1 since that's what you're running. A simple search here and through Google would certainly give all the info and opinions you need as this has been covered ad nauseum including by Wendler many, many times.
        Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

4 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
            I'm assuming you are referring to 5/3/1 since that's what you're running. A simple search here and through Google would certainly give all the info and opinions you need as this has been covered ad nauseum including by Wendler many, many times.
            Yes it has... Wendler says 3-6 weeks... That's why I asked for people's opinions. Also Wendler doesn't place a huge emphasis on assistance work, so he doesn't give much guidance in 5/3/1 as far as how much variety he recommends.
            -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)

Comment

I would keep your assistance exercises the same for 1-2 cycles. At the end of your cycle, film yourself lifting, and see where your movement pattern deviates/form breaks down. From that, select new corrective exercises that will help strengthen the movement in that area to improve your lifts.

Comment

In a perfect world, you'd use the same, perfect form on your three competition lifts, and as such you could simply do the three lifts and only the three lifts, endlessly, and just wave your volume and intensity, and that would be enough. Unfortunately, both because of strain and laziness as well as what we do outside the gym, we can ingrain poor motor patterns in our bodies which influence our form on the three lifts. Practicing with bad form is what leads to these imbalances and deficiencies, and that's when we need to start implementing more accessory work.

*You'd still have to do rows for postural correction and balance.
                Big R
                Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 1370 Total in the 242 class
                Last edited by Big R; 05-22-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I just don't get everyone's obsession with it. Chances are you could do zero assistance work and still make progress. Use common sense and do whatever you want.

Perhaps if the author of the program doesn't put much emphasis on assistance work than neither should everyone else. I'm gonna bet he's stronger than 90% of 5/3/1 followers after all...

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                    I just don't get everyone's obsession with it. Chances are you could do zero assistance work and still make progress. Use common sense and do whatever you want.

Perhaps if the author of the program doesn't put much emphasis on assistance work than neither should everyone else. I'm gonna bet he's stronger than 90% of 5/3/1 followers after all...
                    The man asked a question... If u don't want to answer it, don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman55 View Post
                      The man asked a question... If u don't want to answer it, don't.
                      It's been beaten ad nauseam

Comment

So has everything in this industry... There is nothing new out there really, so why do we even post and come on the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
                          It's been beaten ad nauseam
                          I completely understand that, but then just don't answer. People ask questions and look for different opinions on things, if u don't have or want to add anything, then don't. Takes just as much effort to give statements like that, then it does to just add your two cents. Besides, new threads and topics and convos keeps forums up and running and interesting. Whether new or seasoned, everyone can benefit from some new knowledge or info. What one person may deem annoying or repetitive, may be just what another person needs to get their shit together.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman55 View Post
                            I completely understand that, but then just don't answer. People ask questions and look for different opinions on things, if u don't have or want to add anything, then don't. Takes just as much effort to give statements like that, then it does to just add your two cents. Besides, new threads and topics and convos keeps forums up and running and interesting. Whether new or seasoned, everyone can benefit from some new knowledge or info. What one person may deem annoying or repetitive, may be just what another person needs to get their shit together.
                            Oh please. The DoggPound routinely blasts people for not doing their due diligence and searching for answers that have been covered multiple times. This is no different.

And aside from the fact that it has been covered on every board, and by Wendler himself (who OP seems to think doesn't know best) it is the fact that he is even that worried about it that is the issue.

Who cares what assistance you do? It is far and away the least important part of the program. There are numerous templates out there. Pick one and do it. When you're tired of it, even if after 1 week, do a different one. If you're tired don't do anything. IT DOESN"T MATTER.

The OP would be better served worrying about fixing his incorrect deadlift form that he posted videos of than trying to find the magical duration of assistance work. This is precisely what Wendler talks about when he says people "major in the minor". Assistance work may help add 10lbs the next few months. Keeping your ass from shooting up when you deadlift and getting solid leg drive could add 20lbs tomorrow.

Yes I am annoyed at the question and coming down hard on Jeff. But aside there is just too much information out there covering every little minutia of the topic for a veteran member such as himself to worry about the topic and so easily access hours of thoughts/opinions/info on it.

If we were talking about the details of a custom program someone was setting up that is one thing and totally cool. But we are talking about one of the most popular and widely used/talked about programs out there. In the words of the Monday Night Football analysts, "Come on man!"

Comment

I think everyone is blowing this shit out of proportion. Yes there is a ton of info out there, you can talk about assistance until blue in the face. How does any of US know when YOU should change things. If your main lifts aren't increasing change it, change the rep scheme, change your underwear. Keep things fresh.

Comment

Working...
                              X