Fitness avenue for power racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness avenue for power racks

I am currently investigating power racks as I intend to get rid of my half rack and go more freestyle. I was recently told to look at Elitefts power racks and look for their sale in the Fall.

In the meantime, I came across another sight via a lifter who bought a rather nice power rack but from Canada. He wrote a lengthy review on his and when I looked at the site the prices seem insanely low.

I am no where near an expert on what would make a great power rack so I am asking those of you who are in the know to check some of this out and tell me what is wrong or if this stuff is actually a good buy.

http://fitnessavenue.ca/

This is a review of one of the racks from someone I follow on twitter.
    http://www.johnphung.com/product-rev...r-rack-review/

Just based on pricing alone it seems too good to be true but it is from Canada yet some of it , at least, is manufactured in China.

Check out ProMaxima too. They have great power racks.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

Heard great things about this guy from the "other" board: http://www.snpequipment.com/
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

The only 2 places I would buy a rack from are EFS or the above link to SNP Equipment. The owner/maker of SNP is a personal friend of mine and I know first hand his equipment is built by him and extremely well made. You can not go wrong with either of these 2. Spending a little extra money now will ensure your equipment will last many lifetimes.

Also, you will not need to screw the rack into the floor. You simply need to make a platform using plywood. I have my EFS rack bolted into a platform which is 2 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood thick, piece of cake.
        "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
          The only 2 places I would buy a rack from are EFS or the above link to SNP Equipment. The owner/maker of SNP is a personal friend of mine and I know first hand his equipment is built by him and extremely well made. You can not go wrong with either of these 2. Spending a little extra money now will ensure your equipment will last many lifetimes.

Also, you will not need to screw the rack into the floor. You simply need to make a platform using plywood. I have my EFS rack bolted into a platform which is 2 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood thick, piece of cake.
          The Plywood, is this what is used so that you can use bands and not worry about the rack coming off the floor?
          A while back I used some bands for squats and my rack began coming off the floor. I was experimenting with the bands at the time. Wasn't doing powerlifting at the time.

I will be looking at all of these options and weight all of them according to my own needs.
          Thanks for the input!

Comment

Fitness avenue for power racks

Black Widow Training Gear makes good stuff. They quoted me $825 for a 2x2 rack with plate storage, multi angle pull up top, dip attachment, band pegs t&b and powder coat.

I've used their Prowler-type sled, and it's on par with the best.
            You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
              Black Widow Training Gear makes good stuff. They quoted me $825 for a 2x2 rack with plate storage, multi angle pull up top, dip attachment, band pegs t&b and powder coat.

I've used their Prowler-type sled, and it's on par with the best.
              Just looked at his site. Seems to be very comparable with SnP on quality, what is offered and price... But he is also a former Marine.

Bookmarked.
              Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Is it possible to screw down a power rack to thick plywood and it not come off the floor when using bands?

Also, in researching what I think I need for a power rack what are some recommendations that most lifters would get with their power rack? I refer to such items as pulleys, pull up bars, dips, etc.
                If I bought a power rack with this accessories but need to add more if this possible or would I need to find someone who could specialize to my needs? I ask because usually a person should buy a power rack with the basics and then add to it as needed but is a power rack that versatile too add accessories to it?

Comment

Is it possible to screw down a power rack to thick plywood and it not come off the floor when using bands?
                  Yes, my rack is bolted into plywood and may be used for all types of band work.

Comment

Last question, I think I have for power racks, is what should I be looking for initially in one? I have read that when buying one to get the basic one and get only the things you know you will need and later on a person can add to it. Is this true wisdom in the decision making?
                    I think of accessories such as pulley's. I have one on my half rack but I haven't used it in quite a while. If I bought a power rack without the pulley's to do cable exercises how hard is it to buy pulley's to attach it to a power rack?

What is the solution to these decisions?

Comment

I hear so many so get a good power rack and if it is expensive then save up and invest in a good one.

What characterizes a great power rack? I don't want names of companies or people to contact. I want to know what that means to have a good power rack.
                      A guy at the gym I am attending at the moment makes some power racks and sells them for $800 and they are thicker than most ones I see in videos. It also comes with a metal floor that is screwed into it. It appears very sturdy but than how do I take that and compare it to other power racks? Even elite power racks?

Comment

Gauge of steel
                        Quality of welds
                        Hole Spacing
                        Design of Safety Pins
                        Width
                        J-Hook Design

Comment

I went to Fitness Avenue in Toronto and most of their stuff is really cheaply built. I got a good thick dumbell and a cheap Oly bar but I wouldn't recommend anything expensive from there.
                          If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                          http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                          2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                          2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
                            Gauge of steel
                            Quality of welds
                            Hole Spacing
                            Design of Safety Pins
                            Width
                            J-Hook Design
                            What are the specifics of each of these?

Comment

I do not really know anything about metal but for the other stuff

Hole Spacing- you do not want a rack with 4 inch hole spacing as each spot will most likely be too high or too low. The EFS racks have 2 inch hole spacing on the top and bottom with 1 inch hole spacing in the middle. This makes it very versatile and you can set everything right where you want it

Safety Pin Design- The EFS rod and pin design is the best to protect the rack and bars

Width for sumo pulls or wide stance squats if applicable

J-Hook design- you do not want to have to press the bar out of the rack when benching, you want to be able to pull the bar out

Comment

Working...
                              X