EFS heavy knee sleeve review/Raw vs Classic Raw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS heavy knee sleeve review/Raw vs Classic Raw

So I just signed up for a meet that I thought was unsanctioned. Turns out the USPA is expanding to the east (thankfully!) to give us an alternative to the IPA/RPS. The meet director will actually be the Pa State rep. Anyway...

I see the USPA has Raw and Classic Raw. I think I want to compete Raw. USPA website says they allow single ply knee sleeves. The EFS Heavies came to mind. Anyone have any experience with them? Hopefully a little warmth but maybe a tiny bit of carry over? I get a ton out of even moderately tight wraps. But if these won't give me anything at all I will probably just get some Neoprene cheapos as those have served me well on my elbows. Thoughts?

And while I'm at it... Thoughts on Raw vs Classic (allows knee wraps)? What's more popular in the feds that have both? I have only lifted IPA and they do not have a Classic.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=114&pid=3013
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

USPA Rules FYI

Item 14. Raw Equipment Definition
    3.14.1 The approved costume and equipment allowed for the raw division competitions will be defined as a non – supportive, one piece, single ply singlet (Part 3, Item 1), a t-shirt (Item 5), optional undershorts (Item 6), socks (Item 8), optional belt (Item 9), shoes (Item 10), and optional single ply wrist wraps, elbow sleeves, and knee sleeves (Item 11). Knee wraps of any length are not allowed. The Rules of Performance for all three lifts are the same for both Raw and Single-ply competitors.

Part 12. Classic Raw Division - Annex
    Item 1. Rules of Performance
    12.1.1 The Classic Raw division will follow all of the gear, equipment, rules of performance, and other USPA competition rules found in this book regarding raw lifting with the exception of:
    12.1.2 Knee wraps may be used in place of the knee sleeve, subject to compliance of sections 3.11.5, 3.11.8, and 3.11.10.

Sure you read this already. http://uspla.org/home/

Comment

I did. Knee sleeves must be single ply which is why if I go Raw the EFS Super Heavies wouldn't work.

Which is a bigger division, Raw or Classic Raw?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
        I did. Knee sleeves must be single ply which is why if I go Raw the EFS Super Heavies wouldn't work.

Which is a bigger division, Raw or Classic Raw?
        I thought you were doing push/pull though? I think it's like tommy kono's or rehbands. Classic Raw I would assume, I prefer the safety of knee wraps, sure they help but I like the tight feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
          I thought you were doing push/pull though? I think it's like tommy kono's or rehbands. Classic Raw I would assume, I prefer the safety of knee wraps, sure they help but I like the tight feeling.
          I think this time will be. But since it is sanctioned there may be the opportunity to go full power. I gave my money to the guys dad (his employee haha) to hold my spot I didn't fill out the form yet. I have known Dave for a while and lifted with him before so I know he's legit. He actually is an Animal athlete and lifted in the cage at the Arnold.

Anyway, I'm excited to have a new federation to compete in and compete in general. It's been a while and I didn't know which most people chose in feds that had both. I gotta be in with the cool crew ya know?!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
            I think this time will be. But since it is sanctioned there may be the opportunity to go full power. I gave my money to the guys dad (his employee haha) to hold my spot I didn't fill out the form yet. I have known Dave for a while and lifted with him before so I know he's legit. He actually is an Animal athlete and lifted in the cage at the Arnold.

Anyway, I'm excited to have a new federation to compete in and compete in general. It's been a while and I didn't know which most people chose in feds that had both. I gotta be in with the cool crew ya know?!
            Yeah because you always go with the norm, lol. Train without wraps, get shit strong, add wraps 6 weeks out. There are the ultra raw guys, Paul Carter, Jamie Lewis then there is everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
              Yeah because you always go with the norm, lol.
              LOL

When in doubt I just say to myself...

WWRHD

Comment

I have the EFS heavy elbow sleeves, and I think the knee ones would work well for you. Just make sure they're allowed. They definitely give some support and assistance, though not anywhere nearly as much as wraps would.
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

I have the heavy knee sleeves and I LOVE them. They might give me an extra 10-20 pounds. The sizing is way off. I got the 4xl and they are really easy to get on and I can wear them for an hour without discomfort so they are not retarded tight at all. I could have went with the 3xl and gotten more carry over but I just wanted them for warmth and comfort.

I am 6'3" and 255 pounds for sizing comparisons...
                  Want THE Magic Pill??!! Yea so do I!! Find the next best thing at trueprotein.com. For all your protein and supplement needs.

Use RYNO100 for 5% off

2010 Grand Traverse Bodybuilding Championships: 4th, Tall
                  2009 Grand Traverse Bodybuilding Championships: 4th, Tall
                  2007 Northern Michigan Natural Championships: 5th, Light-heavy

Comment

I read that the sizing can be tough. I am gonna order XL and XXL just to be sure and send back whichever I don't use.

I read the sizing is even more difficult with the Super Heavy Wraps. However those are not allowed in USPA as they are double ply.

You'd think they'd change the sizing so they don't need the 4XL, etc. Obviously a Large is not really that large lol.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Comment

The sizing on the Super Heavy ones is indeed very tough. Hopefully it is better now.

I certainly do not have massive knees and I have yet to get the 4xl's on my knees. I might be able to with suit slippers and help from others. I wear my 4xl knee sleeves on my elbows from time to time as my Super Heavy elbow sleeves make my hands go numb within 10 minutes

The pop from the elbow sleeves is insane though
                      "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

First time using the Heavy Knee Sleeves today. I like them much better than the neoprene ones I used in the past. Not any real carry over. Maybe 10-15lbs but I felt much more secure than without sleeves or with the neoprene. I went with a XXL and they fit really well. I will probably invest in the Heavy Elbow Sleeves in the future to replace my neoprene ones.

Comment

I have the super heavy elbow sleeves that I like to throw on for heavy sets on bench once in a while - but they're so tight I have take them off between sets as I lose feeling in my hands after just a couple of minutes. But they are awesome, great support.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                          2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                          2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                          2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                          2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

I just bought the 3XL super heavy knee sleeves, because my TK's were breaking and I can't even put them on. They are too tight. I will have to go to 4XL. So I think the sizing is still way off, or I have a huge body dis morphia problem. I do have some dis morphia though.

Comment

Yeah, I wanted to go classic raw for the last meet, but I had a sizing issue with knee sleeves and decided to just forget about it.

If you want to double check, you can always ask the USPA forum on facespace to double check.

Everyone seems to be pleased as punch about the SBD knee sleeves that just came out. I have no comments about it as I couldn't even get it past my ankle and sold mine.
                              nexa
                              Intense Muscle Competitor
                              Last edited by nexa; 11-08-2013, 04:51 PM.
                              #docswholift
                              PGY-1 FM
                              "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Working...
                              X