Deadlift Form Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlift Form Check

This was before I decided to stop doing deads touch & go. I know it's only 315, I know the way I lower it is dumb (the gym at the time had a nazi about weight dropping), but I'd like to get an idea of whether or not I'm on the right track. I can have the wife vid a heavier weight this week if necessary.

http://youtu.be/QxpHS1tK9CU

I also know the pocket of my shorts is out.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

I didnt see too much wrong with the lift.

A couple of pointers, but I cant really see from the side, Is get your balls over the bar more, and try to spread your knees out to the side more. But I think I would need a front angle to determine if you really need that. But looks good to me. I am just going by what dave tate has instructed on his videos. My opinion is not professional, probably isn't even correct.

Anyone ever tell you, you look like a smaller version of the Big Show.

Comment

Your starting position is decent, however:

You are not flexing down to the bar and taking the slack out of the bar. Your hips are shooting up first causing your knees to lock out long before your hips

Sumo is 100% technique and when you hit it right it is a thing of beauty.

When setting up, first try to grab the bar with your hips still high, then begin to forcefully pull your hips down to the bar while making your back as vertical as possible (think chest up). While you are doing this you should be extremely rigid and tight flexing every muscle in your body (minus the biceps, flex your triceps hard to keep arms straight) and once your hips get to the sweet spot which for you looks to be about 1-2 inches higher than you are starting them in the video, spread the floor hard with your feet, forcing your knees out and jam those hips forward as hard as you can. Do not think about going "up", think about your hips thrusting forward (naked Olivia Wilde in front of you) or throwing your head back and pulling the bar back. Some people do better thinking hips forward, some better thinking head back. This is personal preference

Do this on all your warm ups too, not just heavy weights. When doing this properly, you should not be able to pull your hips all the way into the proper starting position without the bar popping off the floor before you are ready with 2 plates or less.

If any of this needs clarification (I realize I write like a 3rd grader), please let me know
      "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

I just googled that guy, then LOL'd. Wish I had his size.

No, my hips are well behind the bar, as are my balls. I've heard him say that, but it didn't click until you just pointed it out...now my wife is giving me the "WTF" look as I'm setting up over a broomstick whilst she watches the oscars.

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
          Your starting position is decent, however:

You are not flexing down to the bar and taking the slack out of the bar. Your hips are shooting up first causing your knees to lock out long before your hips

Sumo is 100% technique and when you hit it right it is a thing of beauty.

When setting up, first try to grab the bar with your hips still high, then begin to forcefully pull your hips down to the bar while making your back as vertical as possible (think chest up). While you are doing this you should be extremely rigid and tight flexing every muscle in your body (minus the biceps, flex your triceps hard to keep arms straight) and once your hips get to the sweet spot which for you looks to be about 1-2 inches higher than you are starting them in the video, spread the floor hard with your feet, forcing your knees out and jam those hips forward as hard as you can. Do not think about going "up", think about your hips thrusting forward (naked Olivia Wilde in front of you) or throwing your head back and pulling the bar back. Some people do better thinking hips forward, some better thinking head back. This is personal preference

Do this on all your warm ups too, not just heavy weights. When doing this properly, you should not be able to pull your hips all the way into the proper starting position without the bar popping off the floor before you are ready with 2 plates or less.

If any of this needs clarification (I realize I write like a 3rd grader), please let me know
          THANK YOU! No clarification needed...I KNEW there was a hip/knee thing that wasn't right but I could not put my finger on it.

This is awesome advice. But you guys are pissing my wife off...

Comment

Just 2 responses made my day; although *relatively* fluid, I've always thought my DL felt like 2 separate lifts. Now I know why.

Comment

53greystreet,

I'm watching Cowboys and Aliens with Olivia Wilde...are you me?
              Max Muscle
              5020 Katella Ave.
              Los Alamitos, CA 90720
              www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                53greystreet,

I'm watching Cowboys and Aliens with Olivia Wilde...are you me?
                HAHAHA, most excellent.

I just saw Butter the other day, great motivator
                "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Working...
                X