Power racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power racks

I am thinking about investing in a power rack. Currently I have an ironmaster.com half rack. You can go to that link and get the idea of what I have. 2 things I have noticed with this rack that may be hindering me. The ROM is straight up and down but when doing squats and bench the natural ROM is not straight up and down. It causes me to think that I am not getting the best workout I could get as a result. Would anyone agree with this?

I was thinking of getting a power rack solely for the bench and the squat and use the safety bars so in case I run into an accident with lifting. This is the primary reason I got the half rack so that if I got in trouble I could rack it right there. It has happened to be on a few occasions.

Anybody have a recommendation for a power rack? I can't screw it into the floor since my gym is in a spare bedroom with carpet. Carpet is what my wife wanted so I told her if it tears up don't get angry with me.

I also have standard weight and am thinking about replacing them with Olympic weights but I am not sure how that would work with the DB's. What are your thoughts?

John

SNP Equipment

He made my power rack, may be able to do some customization for you.

I bought two endless loop tow straps and use those to catch a bar which may be dropped.
    FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

What's your budget?
      You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
        What's your budget?
        I really don't want to spent more than $400 on one simply because I would only be using it for squats and the bench press. I have looked at a few online that are less than this and the reviews shows that some have a wobble in them. If I get one I need one with a firm base around it v. it just being on legs.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
          I really don't want to spent more than $400 on one simply because I would only be using it for squats and the bench press. I have looked at a few online that are less than this and the reviews shows that some have a wobble in them. If I get one I need one with a firm base around it v. it just being on legs.
          I'd check around at the used sporting goods stores in your area and on craigslist. I have a $99 power rack that's served me well for pressing, squats, rack deads, chins, etc. for years now.

If you're patient and/or willing to drive a little (and have access to a truck), you can find some great deals on craigslist.

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Just as an alternative suggestion, I bought these several months back for my garage gym, they are really good-

Quick set up and extremely versatile stands Incredibly heavy duty Fully adjustable Bar catchers & safety bars Included Lifetime warranty

Basically squat stands with j hooks and half rack safety thingies. They are expensive from there, but you could probably have a metal worker make something similar for well within your budget. I like them because being individual they are easy to move out of the way if you don't have much space.

Be warned though, most like this are horribly designed and cheap for a reason...
            PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              I'd check around at the used sporting goods stores in your area and on craigslist. I have a $99 power rack that's served me well for pressing, squats, rack deads, chins, etc. for years now.

If you're patient and/or willing to drive a little (and have access to a truck), you can find some great deals on craigslist.

-S
              Gosh, didn't think about Craigslist so I forgot to think outside the box on this one. Geez!!! Thanks for the input!!

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
                Gosh, didn't think about Craigslist so I forgot to think outside the box on this one. Geez!!! Thanks for the input!!
                No problem. Tons of good stuff on there. (Let us know what you end up getting!)

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

craigslist for sure, I picked up one of these powertec for $300 locally from a small studio that a women owned. It was seriously brand new, not even a scratch.

Comment

On the heels my original post I am wondering about something else.

I have standard weights and I have thought that if I upgraded to Olympic weights I could still use my half rack for bench and squats free style as long as I have something to catch the bar if I happened to get in trouble. I think my rack is made for Olympic anyway since my standard bar is a bit short for the width of the rack.

BUT, for my DB's, they do not use Olympic weights and DB's in general do not use them. If I go all Olympic should I just invest in more 10lbs standard weight to cover the weight that I need for DB's especially going into the 100lb range per db? I already have 5lbs and some 2.5 lb standards.

Comment

Working...
                    X