33 to old to start a powerlifting career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33 to old to start a powerlifting career

I am 33 years old. I was off and on with lifting since I was 12. I really did not get serious till 6 years ago. My lifting has been traditionally more bbing routines but in the last year has really been focusing on bench, squats, and deadlifts through the course of training. my numbers are ok,(bench 315, squat 420 and dead 495) I’m sure I have lots of room for improvement with form and I know my eating needs to be more clean and I have to drop some bf% currently +40. I weigh 315lbs.

I’m not looking to set any records but I’ve been feeling like I need to compete in something. I do not have the discipline for bbing so I have been considering a powerlifting meet.

So is 33 to old to be focusing on strength trading and starting to compete?

Also any suggestions on a program would be helpfull.

I have been doing a lot of reading coserning strength training and have watched the training videos by elite fitness. "so you think you can squat...bench...and deadlift" and have been trying to use that as a guide for form and technique.

I am open to any suggestions or questions.

thank you,

Spazfish
    Last edited by spazfish; 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM.

Originally posted by spazfish View Post
    I am 33 years old. I was off and on with lifting since I was 12. I really did not get serious till 6 years ago. My lifting has been traditionally more bbing routines but in the last year has really been focusing on bench, squats, and deadlifts through the course of training. my numbers are ok,(bench 315, squat 420 and dead 495) I’m sure I have lots of room for improvement with form and I know my eating needs to be more clean and I have to drop some bf% currently +40. I weigh 315lbs.

I’m not looking to set any records but I’ve been feeling like I need to compete in something. I do not have the discipline for bbing so I have been considering a powerlifting meet.

I have been doing a lot of reading coserning strength training and have watched the training videos by elite fitness. "so you think you can squat...bench...and deadlift" and have been trying to use that as a guide for form and technique.

thank you,

Spazfish
    Well I'm 33 and if competing is wrong I don't want to be right lol. I only started a few years ago and have made good progress except my bench apparently.

My first meet was 550-330-480 @220, my last meet was 585-336-562 @ 198

Always room for inmprovement, I would focus on a healthy lifestyle and bring your weight down for health's sake. Lots of good PL's on here.
    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

I am 43 and have transitiion over to strength training. I don't know if I should or can call it powerlifting or not. I have been doing the 5/3/1 method for the past 9 month but my strength standards are only fair IMO and maybe not even though.

bench 210lbs
      deadlift 300lb
      squats around 280lbs.
      Military press 130lbs.

Not doing any competition with it but if I did I would probably have to change out my weight. I use all standards and have an www.ironmaster.com half rack.I put that out there in case anyone doesn't know what I am talking about . I use it for my bench and for my squats since I lift alone. I am thinking of going from the BBB 5/3/1 to straight 5/3/1 for powerlifting because I want to push my core numbers up more and a little faster than what they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by spazfish View Post

thank you,

Spazfish
        Hell no it's not too old and your numbers are good or not focusing on strength.

Competing is essential in life. Put it on paper and you'll be more accountable. Nothing like the adrenaline of competition either.

I'm 25 and still play recreational basketball lol. People think its funny but I love it and still get really into the competition aspect.

There are tons of programs out there but I'm very partial to 5/3/1. Its so simple and flexible. There's a really good thread future made that has a small outline of various power lifting routines. Give it a read, I'd link it but hate the search function with my phone.

Comment

I started competeing, I'm 31...so yeah man its a fun sport go for it!
          Discount code BDM999
          By using Jerzey's code you will experience service that is unsurpassed, I take the guess work out of saving you money!

Comment

thank you all for your input. I live in Pittsburgh and have done a couple searches for meets and the only thing i came up with was an IPA, UPA and a non sponcered. Does any one have any suggestions on finding meets? I went on powerlifting watch for this info.

Comment

Check out Gene Rylchaks meets from RPS, he runs a lot in PA. Then in OH you should see a lot of IPA and maybe some APF. Anything run by Gene will be excellent. Anything by Dan Dague in OH will be excellent as well. You may need to drive a few hours but you should find plenty of options in all directions.

We have to fly to all of our meets. The closest meets are 2 hours by plane so driving a few hours would be a dream for us, hahaha
              "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

not to be a downer because i always support competing, but i would also make a concentrated effort to get healthy and by that i mean being 40%+ bf is a serious detriment to your health. Theres no way that carrying 120-140lbs of fat is good for you or your long-term health.

by all means compete but make health a priority
                '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                17 AAU Super Total
                '16-AAU Hi
                '15-USPA Metro
                '15-USPA State
                '15-AAU HI
                '14-AAU HI
                '14-USPA Metro
                '14-WABDL Sonny's
                '14-USPA State
                '14-HI Strongman
                '13-USPA
                '13-WABDL Sonny's
                '13-USPA State
                '13-AAU HI
                '11-USPA Metro
                '10-NPC Stingrey
                '09-NPC Islands
                '09-NPC Stingrey
                '09-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA IronWorks
                '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                '01-ABA Olympia
                '01-ABA Islands
                '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                '00-INBF Musclefest
                '98-NGA Ill
                '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

thx for the honesty. I keep justifying my weight with the fact that im getting stronger and that im lifting. 6 years ago i developed this mentality of eat big get big. i was only about 180lbs. i started putting on weight some muscle some fat. but as the years have gone by i have become less and less active do to my career and have not picked up any consistent cardio and or healthy eating. I have calmed down my appetite and portions but have been slacking on eating healthy for sure. I get burned out too easy with the same food. I also know i need to start putting time in the kitchen. ive read that not keeping a food journal makes it hard to lose weight any thoughts? Also any basic eating suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you all
                  Last edited by spazfish; 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

As mentioned by Truce the bodyfat levels should be reduced.
                    Consider that during the excessive strenuous heavy lifting associated with powerlifting blood pressure will rise dramatically, which will likely place further strain on your heart which may already be burdened by the excess adipose tissue. In the long-term weight-lifting improves on the cardiovascular system.

However, I think the main point to intially direct energy to weightloss is that you will be more competitive in a lighter weight group if you can retain the bar weight, alongside being more athletic and explosive.

In terms of your age I don't think this is a problem, at all! Powerlifting is a sport were the older generation excel as true strength annexed with mental fortitude/tenacity is built upon over the years. For example; I used to be with the WPC whose junior category was capped at the age of 23. In comparison to most sporting foundations this age group is extended considerably.

Regarding the food journal...personally it is not something I would take to, as it would be overly tedious and I would lose heart. Documenting every morsel you eat may become a chore.
                    I am not well-advised on the nutritional front, although I will simply say to increase frequency of meals spiking metabolic rate and decrease portion size combined with a well balanced diet will see you through.
                    Last edited by Muscle Demon; 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

no way. i started at 34

Comment

I took up powerlifting at 36

Comment

i say dont let anything hold you back

Comment

Go for it. I started when I was 43-44 ish. You will love the sport, and the people in the sport are genuinely good peeps! I have competed in both NASA and AAPF federations and both are very friendly, and good for beginners as well as advanced lifters. Get in and set your numbers in your first meet, and then try and beat those numbers every meet. You are competing against yourself to be the best you can be and keep improving. You may be competitive with others or you may not, but you will at the very least feel like you are training for a purpose in the gym, and that can drive you to better over-all health as well. Good luck.

P.S. Skip, my total is now 1289 if Mods are still updating our numbers. ;-)
                            Last edited by MaxNat; 09-28-2018, 03:08 PM.
                            "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Working...
                            X