Executing a proper compound lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executing a proper compound lift

I have been making some rounds on youtube to examine how to properly lift in the compound movements so as to not injury myself and get stronger. I realize sometimes it is just a matter of making a small adjustment and BOOM the weight just went up 50lbs and/or the stress was taken off an area in which it should never have been.

In this context I have seen contradictions with people teaching the movements. I.E. deadlifting, one person says you need the bar at your ankles. Another(Rippetoe) says you need it right over your shoe strings so when you bend down your legs are at a angle touching the bar.

Who should I pay attention to when it comes to youtube OR any other site to watch the videos to learn how to do the exercise properly? Or is the question a bit too broad?

The single biggest influence on your form is going to be anthropometrics.

Get a camera and video tape yourself from the side when deadlifting. From the start position the bar should either travel straight up or back towards you slightly. The straighter line you can have pulling off the floor, the shorter distance your pull is going to be. Once you get a video, post it on youtube but keep it unlisted. Post a link in here and send a message to EXMGQ or start a new thread with his name in the title. He will be able to give as solid and sound advice as anyone.
    FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

deadlift videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kI-u...ature=youtu.be

230lbs- My reaction is it appears that I round my back too much? Shouldn't it be straighter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbstv...ature=youtu.be
      260lbs- my reaction is the same.

Judging from this what do I need to do for a bigger and better deadlift?

John

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kI-u...ature=youtu.be

230lbs- My reaction is it appears that I round my back too much? Shouldn't it be straighter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbstv...ature=youtu.be
        260lbs- my reaction is the same.

Judging from this what do I need to do for a bigger and better deadlift?

John
        Looks like your shoulders might be out in front of the bar in your starting position. Try shifting your weight back a bit so that your shoulders are directly over the bar and your arms are hanging straight down.

Also, instead of looking down toward the floor, try looking up - this might help you keep your back straighter.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
        2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
        2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
        2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
        2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

These weights I use are standard weights and I am tall and I notice in my stance that I look a bit awkward in starting the lift. I measured the distance from the floor to the bar and it measured 6inches. Does that make a different at all? I am sure Olympic weight lift the bar up a few more inches, correct? Yet even with that my back should get stronger with proper lifting at a lower height anyway.

I need to practice leaning back a little bit but at the moment it feels a bit awkward.

Comment

As moco mentioned, looks like shoulders are too far forward. Also make sure the weight is on your heels. Try lifting you big toe up, this should help.

When deadlifting, do not simply bend over, grab the bar and go.

You want to flex yourself into position taking all the slack out of the bar. Once you have a hold of the bar, flex your Triceps hard and pull your hips down into position while arching your lower back to make your back flat (yours looks rounded) and try to attain a more upright position.

Drive your head back and look straight ahead, think about elevating your chest first then throw your hips forward
            "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

If you want to watch some youtube videos I follow Mark Bell, Clint Darden, Brandon Lilly and a few others that have some good videos. Mark Bell has some videos sent to him that he critiques that may help. Here is the link supertraining06

The things I see is your back is not arched and tight and chest is not up. I try to lead with my chest.

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
                As moco mentioned, looks like shoulders are too far forward. Also make sure the weight is on your heels. Try lifting you big toe up, this should help.

You want to flex yourself into position taking all the slack out of the bar. Once you have a hold of the bar, flex your Triceps hard and pull your hips down into position while arching your lower back to make your back flat (yours looks rounded) and try to attain a more upright position.

Drive your head back and look straight ahead, think about elevating your chest first then throw your hips forward
                Great explanation of the movement right here. That will help many people, myself included.....
                STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

From playing around with 150lbs I can see a problem I am having is getting my back in that straight position just before the lift. Is looking straight ahead the cure for this? Right now it feels a bit awkward.

Comment

As ususal, grey comes through with very sound advice. I concur.

Just to piggyback off what is said above, I would first of all like to ask what is your goal with deadlifting? Is it gaining size, deadlifting strength, training for a compeition, etc...?

The first thing I noticed was the angle of your lower leg vs. your foot. I would first encourage you to see if you can make the angle close to 90 degrees. This will essentially allow you to pull back on the bar more, especially since you do not have the ideal conventional deadlifting proportions (short femur length, long arms).

I would recommend this as the first step. Improve your setup from the ground up.
                    FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
                    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

I will give my advice, even though I know the Pros don't agree with me. Go to a gym, and dead with an olympic bar and regular plates. And see if your form changes doing that. Video tape it, so you can see.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
                        Just to piggyback off what is said above, I would first of all like to ask what is your goal with deadlifting? Is it gaining size, deadlifting strength, training for a compeition, etc...?

My goal is to get strong first of all. I want to use the strength to put mass on my body but I want to get much stronger than I am first. Beforehand I just did the 8-10 rep range and all I saw my muscle do was blow up like a balloon and then shrink with no real strength behind it. I figured I need to reverse what I am doing and focus on strength building techniques and then use auxiliary exercise for higher reps ala BBB from the 5/3/1 program.

Comment

lean back a bit so that you arms hang straight down, if you look from the side.

nothing wrong with your back rounding., not sure who started that rumor... =0l
                          site owner of ironaddicts.com

Comment

Originally posted by exmgq View Post

Well, isn't that interesting lol.
                            I have been watching a number of powerlifters doing the deadlift. Watching how their back forms and their stance and hand placement. Something I have noticed with this is some are using the placement that I used to use. The shoulder width hand placement whereas I switched to conventional. I also noticed that some powerlifters done come up to the power and GO with it. They end up putting their hands on the bar and taking a few more seconds before lifting. It leaves me wondering why they would do this when I hear I should just grab and go without spending useless time grabbing the bar. I just wondered about this.

Also am thinking of trading my standard weights in for Olympic weights. If I did that I would need new bars and Olympic sleeves on my half rack and maybe a small power rack. I just can't screw anything into the floor which means I can't play with bands. I tried that once with squats and I ended up lifting the whole rack off of the floor. I freaked out at first and then started laughing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by exmgq View Post

If I find that I am weak if I lean back should I work on doing some good mornings or hypers to strengthen the lower back or should I lower the weight until I can do the deadlift better? There have been times when even a few days after doing deadlifts my lower back feels a bit weak and I wonder if the deadlift is not hitting that muscle or my form is wrong in hitting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X