Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Louie Simmons- extra high rep work at home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louie Simmons- extra high rep work at home?

What does everyone think about some extra high rep work at home. Ive read quite a few articles where Louie states he had his lifters do this for certain exercises. The things I've seen him recommend this on are band pullaparts, band press-downs, leg curls with band or ankle weights.

Ive seen where he recommended up to 200 reps everyday. Obviously these are done very light and for blood flow and tendon/ligament health and strength. Ive thought about incorporating this for a few months to see what happens. I contemplated doing this with leg extensions as well. I don't think leg extensions carry over to anything in power-lifting but a few high rep sets always make my knees feel better after heavy squatting. I also considered doing some light high rep band goodmornings. Would there be any added benefit of hypertrophy from this work? what other exercises have people done this with with success?

I'm often limited in time when at the gym so concentrate on getting my core stuff done. these would be an easy way to get some extra work in. I would assume that starting with a lower number and working up is the smartest approach. That way I can gauge any impact (positive or negative) it has on my actual training sessions. If anything it would increase my GPP.

any thoughts or experiences?

Powerlifting is complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by blastandcruise View Post
      What does everyone think about some extra high rep work at home. Ive read quite a few articles where Louie states he had his lifters do this for certain exercises. The things I've seen him recommend this on are band pullaparts, band press-downs, leg curls with band or ankle weights.

Ive seen where he recommended up to 200 reps everyday. Obviously these are done very light and for blood flow and tendon/ligament health and strength. Ive thought about incorporating this for a few months to see what happens. I contemplated doing this with leg extensions as well. I don't think leg extensions carry over to anything in power-lifting but a few high rep sets always make my knees feel better after heavy squatting. I also considered doing some light high rep band goodmornings. Would there be any added benefit of hypertrophy from this work? what other exercises have people done this with with success?

I'm often limited in time when at the gym so concentrate on getting my core stuff done. these would be an easy way to get some extra work in. I would assume that starting with a lower number and working up is the smartest approach. That way I can gauge any impact (positive or negative) it has on my actual training sessions. If anything it would increase my GPP.

any thoughts or experiences?
      One thing I've noticed from what I've read and heard from Louie, Dave Tate, Wendler and a lot of the big names is that things should be done for a reason, not just because Louie has told others to do it in the past or something along those lines.

So, with that said, do you have a specific weakness or issue you're trying to address?

For instance, there's a new girl writing over at Elite, Jennifer Petrosino's her name. Louie told her to do 200 Leg Curls every day, because in her words:

Louie told me to do the 200 leg curls a day because i have ZERO meat around my joints, aka non existent tendons, sooo..the 200 leg curls=stronger tendons=greater ability to store and transfer kinetic energy=stronger and more explosive...

Im doing them with ankle weights, as per his suggestions

No leg extensions, but i also do 100 push downs and 100 pull aparts as per his other suggestion

to I have not missed a day(i do them every day) since he told me to, 2 weeks ago,

and as a sweet bi-product, my hamstrings have turned into ROCKS
      Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

I'd love to hear how Louie diagnosed her with "zero meat" around her joints or "non-existant tendons"...
        Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

I have had very good success with daily good mornings with a light band.

But along the lines of what dakoose mentioned, I was doing them for a very specific reason. A bulging disc and lower back strength that was 2 standard deviations lower than average

Anything started like this should be started on a very small scale, like literally 1-2 sets per week (not day), and increase extremely slowly. There should be a specific purpose which each exercise as well
          "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

thank you for the comments.

In response to darkoose's comment I suppose the main reason I was considering this is due to some elbow/tricep issues that have gone on for years. Would like to build up the tendons and bit and see if these high rep daily extensions help. The rest was just theoretical. Hoping something like this extra work could possibly add overall strength to my body and increase my GPP. I do find my weakness in the deadlift and squat is the middle of the movement with which I have attributed weak lower back/glute/hamstring strength. So possibly the daily band good mornings might be worth a shot concentrating on hip drive. If anything it would reinforce the motor patterns of driving the hips through via flexing the glutes and lower back (something that I lack).

Comment

dude knows his stuff

Comment

Working...
              X