Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ab wheel for skinny guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=M6B_rE2J3Iw

Wish I could embed it. I just find this video absolutely nuts, KK is an absolute monster. I've been doing these and buzz saws for the last few months a few days a week. Does anybody do standing band work for core? What do you all do for core work? I think this and upper back are a limiting factor for my squats, I can address the upper back but wonder if I'm on the right track with what I'm doing for core work.

I suck at doing core work. If I even do it, it is last. I was pretty good at it until my Abs started cramping up every time I did them. I can do planks, that is about it. Haven't tried the ab roller though.

Comment

I have found that doing the standing version of the ab wheel has really helped me to stay tight during the DL & rack pulls, and prevent the rounding of the back.

I can say this with certainty because everytime I drop this exercise from my routine, and start doing other ab exercises, my back starts rounding on the last rep of the heavy pulling exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by titanium_spine View Post
        I have found that doing the standing version of the ab wheel has really helped me to stay tight during the DL & rack pulls, and prevent the rounding of the back.

I can say this with certainty because everytime I drop this exercise from my routine, and start doing other ab exercises, my back starts rounding on the last rep of the heavy pulling exercises.
        How long did it take you to progress to the standin version. It looks crazy intense and seems to need alot of flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
          How long did it take you to progress to the standin version. It looks crazy intense and seems to need alot of flexibility.
          I'm not sure exatly how long (I would have to consult my log book to give you a precise answer, a few months I suppose), but when I could do 20 reps kneeling, I started doing them at body length away from the wall (which I was facing). That way I coundn't roll-out the wheel to arms length (the wall stops you), but it was harder...

Then when I got up to 10 reps with that, next time I'd step about 4-5 inches futher from the wall... That's how you get progression before doing them fully stretched...

Comment

And I forgot to say one more thing: keep your feet planted about hips wideth apart, or you'll have trouble to keep your balance...

Comment

Ab roller wheels are GREAT. You'll certainly feel it the next morning.....great ab workout.

Comment

I have been doing weighted ab wheel ever since I watched this video a few months ago. Yup carries over directly to squat and deads. Great movement. Only complaint is that it stresses my shoulder. I have been training this movement like any other movement and it is working well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by titanium_spine View Post
                  I'm not sure exatly how long (I would have to consult my log book to give you a precise answer, a few months I suppose), but when I could do 20 reps kneeling, I started doing them at body length away from the wall (which I was facing). That way I coundn't roll-out the wheel to arms length (the wall stops you), but it was harder...

Then when I got up to 10 reps with that, next time I'd step about 4-5 inches futher from the wall... That's how you get progression before doing them fully stretched...
                  Great idea on the progression, thanks.

Comment

I like these a lot. It's a shame I broke my gym's ab wheel

Weird, I can do these for sets of 10 with 2 45's on my back, but I can only do about 5 standing, cuz it feels like murder.
                    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Here's a good standing version I watched a couple months ago.
                      www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vfTLXQUZeI
                      Last edited by DirtyJohnson; 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyJohnson View Post
                        Here's a good standing version I watched a couple months ago.
                        www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vfTLXQUZeI
                        That guy is a monster, thanks for a great channel.

Comment

i love the wheel. i do it with a 25kg plate on my back. its beautifully horrific

Comment

as long as the core is strong, used to hurt my back to do that wheel

Comment

Working...
                            X