Box squats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box squats

In my reading of various powerlifting articles I have noticed that box squats are used in some routines and taken out in others. What is the reason that a person wouldn't do box squats? Or when doing box squats does it refer to when you sit on the box and then push yourself up? Verses using the box as the meter to let you know you are at a good level below parallel?

The way I see it it helps to keep your depth below parallel. I have put my squats at the beginning of the week. Beforehand it was at the end and I neglected it very severely. So last night I took a 12" box and put it under my squat and used it to help me get below parallel. This got me thinking why more people don't do it just to help the depth.

Typically when people are doing box squats (at least in powerlifting circles) you are going to completely sit onto the box (keeping your core and upper body tight), briefly relaxing your lower body then exploding off of the box. This can help with depth issues, but it also builds up explosive power out of the whole (taking out the stretch reflex at the bottom), and depending on your stance can put more emphasis onto the glutes and hams.

I personally started to do box squats more as they seem to save my low back and they seem to transfer very well to my regular squat (if I can box squat 360 just at or below parallel, then I know I can squat it).
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Ok, Then I think my method is slightly different and I am only experimenting with mine. All I am doing is using to box to judge my depth so I know I am below parallel. So maybe what I am doing is squatting to the box instead of box squatting?

Thanks for the input!

Comment

What Jeff said is correct, I find more carryover to paused squats myself for RAW lifting, but box squats are a nice alternative although I do not rock back like you see some geared guys do
        For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

I understand what you mean on the rocking back. I have neglected my squats and am using a 12" box to help me reach a good depth so when I go higher I just need to maintain that depth and build more strength.

Comment

In my opinion and experience, the box should only be used for an actual box squat. Meaning if the box is there, sit on it for a half second and explode up. I have never been a fan of using the box as a depth gauge. There are far superior methods in my opinion. Good training partners and/or video are much better options. I really believe this to be true if the lifter competes raw as that box will not be there on the platform and getting used to it can be problematic.

Now of course setting up a box 1/2 inch below parallel and doing proper box squats is a fantastic exercise and will ensure you are hitting depth at this given exercise. However I would not use the box as a depth gauge for a free squat
            "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
              What Jeff said is correct, I find more carryover to paused squats myself for RAW lifting, but box squats are a nice alternative although I do not rock back like you see some geared guys do
              Thanks for those pointers... I want to get back to regular squats, and I like the idea of the pause to help eliminate tucking my butt at the bottom (which always ends of giving me back pain)...

I may try this for my next 5/3/1 cycle.
              -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
              -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
              198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
              -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
              198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
              -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
              198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

i've just started to use box squats, they suck haha

Comment

Working...
                X