The floor press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The floor press

I just wanted to try to liven things up in here after reading and posting about floor presses in Trucelts journal...

I'm far from one of the elite lifters on IM but have been training long enough have learned some things. One of them being the value of the floor press. While I shy away from the partial range it offers as a main movement for the long term I happen to love it in all forms as a big time accessory movement.

It allows overload and heavy weight due to the top end range of the movement. But also takes leg drive completely out of the equation and forces proper form and a strong upper body to do the work. When used in a close grip it hammers the tris. Both variations can also have chains added to really work the tris and top end. But most importantly, I like to pause them. The heavy weight combined with no leg drive forces you to really explode off the floor.

Set up is key here and it is close to the same set up as your bench. I would avoid the huge arch some employ though and focus more on pulling your back/traps tight and rotating your shoulder blades down. Make that super solid shelf or platform to serve as a launch pad for the heavy pressing. "Bend the bar" and squeeze the hell out of it. And make sure you line yourself up properly before unracking. Without the leg drive laying too far forward will make it virtually impossible to unrack. Get as in line with the bar as possible from the start so you don't lose that great set up in the unpack.

I would advise heavy weights in the sub-5 rep range. Save the 10-20 rep stuff for your full range chest and tri extension stuff.

Hope this gave some fresh ideas.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

I LOVE floor presses.

Great for tris, great for chest to some degree.

I regret not having done it when I had the chance, since at the time I could do those I was waiting for my shoulder injury to heal, and when it healed I forgot about the exercise. And now my new gym doesn't have the required aparatus for me to do those.... sigh.
    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

I like close grip, fat grips floor press. Question, do you extend your legs completely? I can't remember where I saw that but I do them that ways now with no leg drive at all.
      Unilateral DB floor press is also crazy and personally I feel like more of a chest movement.
      What's the 'floor press' equivalent to the squat and DL? I have some ideas for the DL but am interested if there's a good overload, partial movement for the squat.

Comment

I vary my grips, I also pause very rep as you do. I use chains and or bands, sometimes my legs are straight or feet on the ground but no leg drive. I still practive staying tight and exploding from the dead stop I like to rotate reps with 5's,3's, and 2's
        For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Something I haven't done in a while and this is making me miss them... Neutral Grip DB Floor Presses for Tris.

They are often overlooked as part of a DC program and these work extremely well. You completely take momentum out of the movement.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
            Something I haven't done in a while and this is making me miss them... Neutral Grip DB Floor Presses for Tris.

They are often overlooked as part of a DC program and these work extremely well. You completely take momentum out of the movement.
            What RP range you do use for that exercise ?

I'd love to try those, but I incline bench the 140's, I think I'd be able to go a lot heavier on floor presses, and 150's are the heaviest I have...

I'm thinking about giving Smith floor presses a try. Anyone tried these ?
            "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post

I'd love to try those, but I incline bench the 140's, I think I'd be able to go a lot heavier on floor presses, and 150's are the heaviest I have...

Most smith machines won't go that far down
              For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Love them, currently running a bb and a db in my routine. bb one is followed by some hex presses (thanks to mountaindog), and the db one was followed by a smith decline bench.

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
                  If the machine doesn't allow one to go down all the way, set the safety catches at the appropriate height and you can do lockouts.

I prefer floor presses in the 15-20RP range as that seems to give enough reps to provide a DEEP burn while still using heavy weight.
                  Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I extend my legs straight out to ensure that in the moment of struggle I don't instinctively use any leg drive to help. I have also done them on a Smith Machine when a rack wasn't available. Pretty much the same but setting up in proper alignment to the bar is even more important.

Haven't done them with DBs in a while as it has become awkward getting them into position.
                    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
                      Possibly mimic same effect by putting stoppers where upper arm is parallel to floor at bottom position? I think I've seen Charles Glass do this for his guys; deadstop to nullify stretch reflex, explode up.
                      Max Muscle
                      5020 Katella Ave.
                      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                        I extend my legs straight out to ensure that in the moment of struggle I don't instinctively use any leg drive to help. I have also done them on a Smith Machine when a rack wasn't available. Pretty much the same but setting up in proper alignment to the bar is even more important.

Haven't done them with DBs in a while as it has become awkward getting them into position.
                        Yeah... Last time I did them was a real long time ago, back when I was just trying to experiment with some of DC's principles and find exercises that work for me. I wasn't using anywhere near the weights I would be able to now so I am not sure how awkward it would be.

Scott told me about these things. I am thinking about picking up a pair: http://www.amazon.com/6271-Power-Hoo.../dp/B00000ELZ5

You can set the bar on the smith low and lay on the ground and have the DBs hanging from the smith bar, making it really easy to get them into place... pretty cool

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post

This would depend on what kind o dumbells your gym carries. But I'm able to vertically stand some lighter DBs and then stack my working set DBs on top of those. Then when I'm in position I tip off the working set DBs. After the set I then restack them on top of the standing DBs.

Comment

I wish I had a power rack where I could do them, I dislike not being able to safely do them from a regular bench on the ground.

When I was able to do them, another really good variation was to start doing them at the bottom portion, really makes you have to explode to get it up.
                            Want to save 5% or 10% on your entire order at www.trueprotein.com
                            Use discount code JHN125

Come watch me progress in my 5/3/1 journal!

Comment

an idea?
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnyXY7gO0LM

Comment

Working...
                              X