Advice on getting the weight up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on getting the weight up

I have been doing the 5/3/1 since April of this year because my goal is to get my strength way up. Last week I took the week off because my body felt shot. So I took the weights up again and I noticed that my deadlift was weaker. 2 weeks ago I was able to lift 250, 290, and 310 for 5, 3, 1 reps. This time I got 240 for 5 reps and 280 for 2 reps and that was it.

What I notice is when I take a week off I get weaker but I think everyone probably does, right? How do I overcome this? What I did was start back up where I left off only dropped the weight 10lbs so that I wasn't lifting 310 lbs on my last lift but I could tell that 300 was even going to allow me to pick it up. Any advice on this?

Also, on my major lifts I am finding when I hit my final set I am getting barely 2 reps out of it so I am essentially hit my max or near max. Is this a diet issue or should I drop the weight a bit and do more volume with low reps ie. my bench max is 210 so should I drop it to 190 and do 3reps for about 5 sets or more?

I am new to strength training. I don't know that I should call it powerlifting or not and I need some advice on improving myself in this.

John

This is the tough part about deloads and that particular program in my opinion. You are suppose to raise the training max (and thus the load), but most people come back from a deload weaker.

What you will have to do, in my opinion, is figure out a "deload" that allows you maintain strength. Whether that means doing his "Deload without the deload" (use the 5's week numbers, but only for 3 reps and NO max rep sets), only doing the Boring But Big work, etc...

Alternatively, if you are going to fully take a week off, you might have to "reload" for a week before you try and get back to your regular lifting numbers.

Comment

I've never really seen that big of a drop off in my weights after a brief deload....training DC there were times where my strength seemed a bit lower after a cruise, but that was a span of two weeks.....

I've done "deloads" for a week and seen no changes in strength...I think the question you MAY wanna ask yourself is on your deload week, were any other changes made, like diet, added cardio, changes in supps? Any of those things and many others could have an impact on your performance....
      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

If I am at the end of a blast type phase and take a week off I am always weaker, 10 days to 2 weeks off and I come back the same, 3 weeks off and I come back stronger and then some.

It can be hard to take that long off mentally but you really feel the desire when you return and I think, that for me, the physical and mental breaks are needed.

During the break I will do something very different and not hard, like go hunting so I am walking with a pack for 15miles a day etc. Still demanding but not in the same way.

I also try to get in good clean food still.
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Are you using your true max to run the percents off of?

Or are you using the training max which should be 90% of your actual max?

Please let me know
          "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
            Are you using your true max to run the percents off of?

Or are you using the training max which should be 90% of your actual max?

Please let me know
            I did this when I started back in April but I have not recalculated since then. Since then I noticed that my last set went from higher reps down to lower reps and even down to 1 very hard rep. If I recalculate again I would be regressing kind of like 2 steps forward and one step back. Yet, is that constructive to do it that way?

I have the 5/3/1 app on my ipod which I used to calculate everything even to what my max 'probably' is which I don't agree with sometimes. That is irrelevant anyway.

In looking at my log book my deadlift max back in April was about 260lbs so 90% of that I measured at 234lbs

Here is my first week of the 5/3/1 doing 5/5/1+
            150-5
            175-5
            185-10

3rd session
            5/3/1+
            170-5
            195-3
            205-10

Now, here are my numbers before I took this recently break which was 11/1/2012

250 - 5
            290 - 2
            310 - 1 PR

After the break 11/14 ( looks like a 2 week layoff which I didn't realize)
            5/5/1+ I backed the weight off 10lbs from the last session.

240-5
            280-2
            300-0

I suppose it may be possible that the next time I do the deadlift my back will be stronger? Yet, I am thinking that I should stay with this weight until I hit the required reps before I move on otherwise I can hurt myself. Leave ego at the door.

Comment

If you missed a weight you should be resetting your maxes. If you've been going 8 months or so it's probably time to anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
                If you missed a weight you should be resetting your maxes. If you've been going 8 months or so it's probably time to anyways.
                I agree, reset your training max and start building momentum up again

How much did you increase your training max each cycle?

Comment

Since I have been going with this I never reset it. I just started at a certain point somewhat guessing my max and went from there. After that when I started getting close to my all time PR's I noticed the last set I would have a harder time getting those reps in.

If I reset my deadlifts this means my max is 310 from the session I did before I took a break. This means that 90% of that is about 280lbs. 65% of that is 180lbs. So 180lbs is my first set. I warm up with 150lb for about 10 reps and then 200 for about 6 reps before I start my major lifts. To me this seems regressing rather than progressing. Am I wrong in this assessment?

65% 180
                  75% -210
                  80% - 224

Looking back I have gone from a max of 260lbs to about 310lbs since April in about 6 months. 50lbs worth. Is that considered great progress? A worthy effort? Or something is seriously wrong , category?
                  I am essentially warming up on these weights.
                  My initial thought is to see what happens during the next few weeks and if the lift(s) don't improve then I either need to drop it down or do a different routine for a while. Is that a good assessment?

Comment

On paper you shouldn't get weeker, how is it we peak for meets and take 7-10 days off and hit PR's after cutting weight?
                    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
                      On paper you shouldn't get weeker, how is it we peak for meets and take 7-10 days off and hit PR's after cutting weight?
                      Good question. Up until now I didn't have much of a problem progressing very well. My bench is beginning to hit that tipping point by the deadlift is my favorite lift. I think that is because my weight is going on and I have learned better form than before. It is fun to feel 300lbs going up in the air with no wrist straps!

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
                        Since I have been going with this I never reset it. I just started at a certain point somewhat guessing my max and went from there. After that when I started getting close to my all time PR's I noticed the last set I would have a harder time getting those reps in.

If I reset my deadlifts this means my max is 310 from the session I did before I took a break. This means that 90% of that is about 280lbs. 65% of that is 180lbs. So 180lbs is my first set. I warm up with 150lb for about 10 reps and then 200 for about 6 reps before I start my major lifts. To me this seems regressing rather than progressing. Am I wrong in this assessment?

65% 180
                        75% -210
                        80% - 224

Looking back I have gone from a max of 260lbs to about 310lbs since April in about 6 months. 50lbs worth. Is that considered great progress? A worthy effort? Or something is seriously wrong , category?
                        My initial thought is to see what happens during the next few weeks and if the lift(s) don't improve then I either need to drop it down or do a different routine for a while. Is that a good assessment?
                        Read the book, you didn't answer how much you have been increasing your max each wave.

Warm up how you warm up, you don't have to follow that part on the app. Maybe having your top set 60 lbs less than last month seems like a loss but doing 10+ reps and setting new PR's are the name of the game.

Reset your max and go from there. If after a wave or two you're not besting your previous lifts (hope you've been saving every wave) you're probably doing something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
                          Read the book, you didn't answer how much you have been increasing your max each wave.

Warm up how you warm up, you don't have to follow that part on the app. Maybe having your top set 60 lbs less than last month seems like a loss but doing 10+ reps and setting new PR's are the name of the game.

Reset your max and go from there. If after a wave or two you're not besting your previous lifts (hope you've been saving every wave) you're probably doing something wrong.
                          I increase deads by 10lbs each wave and the bench by 5lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post

65% 180
                            75% -210
                            80% - 224

It is not regressing at all. We also are not tracking progress on your first work set with 65%. It is about the last work set and the rep maxes.

50 lb gain on a lift in 6 months is absolutely phenomenal. Trust me when I say this, those kinds of gains will not continue. This is not being negative, but realistic. As you become more advanced and your training age increases, PR's will go much slower and be much harder to come by, and you will be extremely happy with a 5-10 lb PR in a 6 month time frame.

So enjoy and reap the benefits of the massive gains right now and remember, this is a very long term effort so there is no need to be in a rush and worry about your first set with 180 lbs. Hit it with great technique and speed, this will start the training session off in the right direction. Similar to attempts in a meet, it is not where you start (open with), it is where you finish. (3rd attempt/last set)

Another key to remember is to pick your battles, every single week does not need to be a gut busting rep max day. If you are feeling good during a session then of course, go for it on the last and hammer out a rep max but there will also be days when you may be tired, stressed from work/family or whatever where you go in, get the prescribed reps done and get out of there. You will get a better feel for this the longer you train.

Reset the training max and lets see where you are 4 months from now

Comment

I also lose strength after the deload week and then on week 2 I am stronger then I was on week 2 of the last rotation.

On the deload my diet doesn't change, I do the 40% 50% 60% on my lifts...

One of my powerlifter friends recommend that I deload on volume but not intensity next time so for example keep my 3 lifts in with heavy weigths 80% + but don't do accessories.

I might try that.

He says when he peaks for a meet he will take the week off 2 weeks from a meet then train the week before a meet with 80-85% lifts and only stop lifting 3-4 days out and get some deep tissue work done.
                              If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                              http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                              2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                              2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Working...
                              X