SPEED lifts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPEED lifts...

who does them? dosent? how do you incorporate them into your routine?

I've used them working up to a meet in the past. Not something we frequently shuffle in to our routine though. We would typically pick a day and just run a speed day, usually the week after deload, or at times during the deload depending on how we all felt. Especially if someone was struggling with exploding off the floor, it helped a lot of guys gain momentum all the way through the lift.
    …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Dave Tate just wrote a really good article on elitefts about dynamic effort. I was doing cleans twice a week (first exercise on squat and deadlift day) for a long time, just makes me feel like an athlete.

Comment

I do westside, read some stuff Louie has wrote about them, I can tell a big difference from adding them in.
        Want to save 5% or 10% on your entire order at www.trueprotein.com
        Use discount code JHN125

Come watch me progress in my 5/3/1 journal!

Comment

Originally posted by 7_Deadly_Sins View Post
          I do westside, read some stuff Louie has wrote about them, I can tell a big difference from adding them in.
          Is it worth doing west side out of a commercial gym? Seems like they used a lot of specialty bars, chains and bands. I know you can do it but is the effectiveness still there when doing dynamic work without the bands and such.

Comment

Newb question: Isn't speed work just using lighter weight?
            Max Muscle
            5020 Katella Ave.
            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
              You have to use some degree of accomodating resistance (chains and bands), or overload the movement on some part of the motion (instead of deadlifts, do box deads and etc.)
              "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
                Is it worth doing west side out of a commercial gym? Seems like they used a lot of specialty bars, chains and bands. I know you can do it but is the effectiveness still there when doing dynamic work without the bands and such.
                You don't need the specialty bars, but it's a good idea to ask your gym if you can bring in some chains. Accomodating resistance is great.

I think Dave Tate wrote an article series on how to do Westside without special equipment or chains. Will have to look it up.
                "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                  You don't need the specialty bars, but it's a good idea to ask your gym if you can bring in some chains. Accomodating resistance is great.
                  I remember seeing that one vid with Shelby in something that looked like a Snap Fitness, but he brought in some chains to squat with lol.

Comment

You have to use some degree of accomodating resistance (chains and bands), or overload the movement on some part of the motion (instead of deadlifts, do box deads and etc.)
                    Ahhh gotcha thanks
                    Max Muscle
                    5020 Katella Ave.
                    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Big R View Post
                      I remember seeing that one vid with Shelby in something that looked like a Snap Fitness, but he brought in some chains to squat with lol.
                      I find it most gyms actually don't care that you bring in extra equipment as long as you're polite and nice and actually ask permission, 90% of the time they'll allow you to bring in whatever you want ( and let you leave it there, so you let other people to use it as well )

My gym is almost planet-fitness nazi like, but they're letting me bring in almost 400 pounds of chains and a row machine I've built.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
                        Yea I enjoy it, all you need are bands really..my gym doesnt have a power rack and I still do it fine, but I'm joining a new gym that does have a power rack so it'll be that much better.

The bands pretty much make the DE. Grab one of his books he explains it into as much depth as anyone could want.

I think Dave Tate wrote an article series on how to do Westside without special equipment or chains. Will have to look it up.
                        Can you link me to that I'd like to read it.
                        Want to save 5% or 10% on your entire order at www.trueprotein.com
                        Use discount code JHN125

Come watch me progress in my 5/3/1 journal!

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkORAlTY6r4

start there. it's hard to follow louis, but you'll get it eventually.

Comment

Working...
                          X