Current training routines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current training routines...

I like coming to Intensemuscle.com and checking out the new Powerlifting and Strongman threads. i havent seen many in a while that have evoked much conversation or knowledge about personal training styles or current routines. Not a big training log reader as some dont keep up with them, or even have one, like me! How about current training routines? accessory lifts, training styles, new innovations, etc... Maybe we can help a few people hit new PRs!

I have my powerlifting team on a Block Periodization plan. I build each lifters plan given how many weeks we have until the next meet. Since switching to this type of training, everyone on my team has been hitting massive PR's. Even very experienced Elite level lifters who were stuck for a couple of years have had their lifts go up very nicely.

It is great as each plan is customized for the individual to fit their needs. It works great with beginners and experienced lifters. It works great for raw and geared lifters.
    "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
      I have my powerlifting team on a Block Periodization plan. I build each lifters plan given how many weeks we have until the next meet. Since switching to this type of training, everyone on my team has been hitting massive PR's. Even very experienced Elite level lifters who were stuck for a couple of years have had their lifts go up very nicely.

It is great as each plan is customized for the individual to fit their needs. It works great with beginners and experienced lifters. It works great for raw and geared lifters.
      Isn't 5/3/1 basically a block periodized routine? or are you talking about longer phases with Power, Strength, Hypertrophy phases?

Could you give a rough example?
      -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
      -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
      198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
      -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
      198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
      -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
      198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

I am using Issurin's definition of Block Periodization which is very different to Wendler's 5/3/1 program and also very different to the old school periodization methods you mentioned above with the power, strength, hypertrophy phases.

I do believe that Wendler's program is fantastic, especially for new lifters, lifters who tend to over think and lifters who have to train alone.

The block sequencing that we use has 3 basic phases:

Accumulation (3-6 weeks)- this phase is basically where you work anything and everything. This is a general phase where you work all the planes of motion with high volume and low-moderate intensity. Cardiac work is also of great importance during this phase. This phase is what prepares us to handle the heavier workloads and still somewhat high volume during the next phase. For example, a Squat day may look like this:

Squats
        Hip Extension
        Single Leg movement
        Hip Extension 2
        Back Extensions
        Ab movements

Now the volume and intensity will vary greatly from lifter to lifter but typically the squats will be somewhere between 50-70%. The total reps can be anywhere from 10-50

Transmutation (2-4 weeks)- this is where we begin a much higher focus with the sport specific movements. For powerlifting this is of course the squat, bench and deadlift. The volume is brought down, but remains somewhat medium to high. The intensity picks way up. We now will be working between 70-90% for the most part. Some will take it to 92% or so but the bulk of the work will be between 80-90%. The total reps can be anywhere from 6-30 depending upon many variables. An average squat day may go like:

Squats
        Secondary Squat/DL movement (box squat, GM, RDL, adding chains or bands, etc)
        Maybe 1-2 assistance moves depending on what we did for the first 2 movements, there may be zero assistance, there may be 3 sets of GHR, it varies
        Ab work will remain a constant

Realization (2-4 weeks)- this ties it all together and is the peak and taper for the competition. Volume is greatly reduced while the intensity will be between 90-100%. Assistance work is pretty much dropped altogether. Abs will be done on squat and deadlift days and some rows may be done on bench days. There are several ways to set this up of course. We have had great success with a 3 week phase leading up to a meet

Week 3- 92% work
        Week 2- 97% work
        Week 1- Working up to somewhere between a last warm up and opener
        Competition Week

That is a rough, basic outline. That is another fantastic feature of this program is that it is not cookie cutter and even the same lifters program will vary from meet to meet in certain aspects.

If you or anyone here would like a custom plan, I am available for online consulting and have some open slots right now for very affordable prices.

If anyone is interested, please PM me your e-mail address

Comment

I'm no powerlifter, but when I felt that I stalled out on a lift like squats I'd just take a squat day to do one set of a moderate weight till I puked lol....

Comment

I'm wondering if I should focus on powerlifting. Or just stay where I'm at with pursuing bodybuilding. Gained thirty lbs since march after I forced myself not to be obsessed with abs. Haha
            17. 5ft 11inches 190 about 10 percent
            Squat 485x1 405x6
            Deadlift 495x1
            Bench 285x1
            Any comments would benefit
            Last edited by Kag94; 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kag94 View Post
              I'm wondering if I should focus on powerlifting. Or just stay where I'm at with pursuing bodybuilding. Gained thirty lbs since march after I forced myself not to be obsessed with abs. Haha
              17. 5ft 11inches 190 about 10 percent
              Squat 485x1 405x6
              Deadlift 495x1
              Bench 285x1
              Any comments would benefit
              I believe you should focus on whatever your goals are aiming for. Hard to say without knowing what you wish to attain, as in a powerlifting meet, bodybuilding show, a certain sport, etc?

I can comment that those are very solid numbers, even more so given your height/weight. 5'11 powerlifters for the vast majority need to be 242+

I am of course biased towards powerlifting as I compete and coach a team for powerlifting competitions as well. Powerlifting is a great time.

Let us know your specific goals and I am sure everyone will have more comments

Comment

Right now I want to enter a meet and hit a 1300 total. Everyone who I have spoken to in my area focus on bodybuilding so I really can't receive much guidance on this from them haha

Comment

What area are you in?

Comment

Southwest Louisiana. I've recently changed gyms so I could reach out to meet more people.

Comment

I also use block periodization
                      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Working...
                      X