Deadlifting and muscle soreness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlifting and muscle soreness

I have been been using the 5/3/1 method in my training in order to get my strength up. It really sucks right now but this method is slowly bring it up.

My deadlifts have been making great progress but I have wondered something. Last week I was able to hit 300lbs for 2 reps. I noticed this week that just in my warmups I felt as if My back were getting a workout and I wondered why that was. Is it possibly that my back really isn't strong and I need to do some rack pulls with higher reps to help my back recover and get stronger? I would hate to continue my deadlifting and then eventually hurt myself in the process.

Any opinions?

btw, I warmed up with 150lbs and then 200lbs for 8-10 reps before I started with 230lbs. My back felt like it hadn't been worked hard in a while.

If you have good form, you have a highly unlikely chance of hurting yourself. If you want to do rack pulls, just add it to your assistance work.

Comment

What about the back soreness. Yesterday, after my 2 warm ups my back seemed a bit sore and almost as if it were tightening up too much. Is that a sign of a weak back that need extra work or could it be a sign of bad form? I have narrowed my stance and push through my heels before my back comes into play. Never did that before. That allowed me to hit 300lbs for 2 reps last week. I managed 270 for 2 reps before something felt weird so I stopped.

Comment

I don't think we can really give you any decent advice without you first giving us a video of you deadlifting so we can see what your form is like. That would be the first place to start. Otherwise, all we can do is make guesses that may have no bearing on your situation.

Comment

just a guess but are you doing any other core work? abs? stabilization? could be a slight muscle imbalance where your back is over working to compensate for lacking ab strength. Or maybe is form.

Comment

make sure ur warmed up... foam roll, stretch, ab work.... dont go so high on warm up reps... 3-5 should do the trick, not 8-10

Comment

Originally posted by ShinjiG View Post
              just a guess but are you doing any other core work? abs? stabilization? could be a slight muscle imbalance where your back is over working to compensate for lacking ab strength. Or maybe is form.
              This could be a key point. I do some ab work but the key is only some. I am unbalanced when it comes to core and it is very possible that my back is compensating for it making it uneven.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman55 View Post
                make sure ur warmed up... foam roll, stretch, ab work.... dont go so high on warm up reps... 3-5 should do the trick, not 8-10
                I don't know much about foam rolling.
                On my warm ups I am doing 150lbs for about 8 reps and then 200lbs for about 6-7. Normally it feels ok but yesterday my back felt unusually tight and on my 2nd working set something didn't feel right and I thought it better to stop then to keep going.

Comment

Back seems pretty general. If your back doesn't get "sore" from doing deadlifts I'd say you're probably doing them wrong.

I've been doing 10 rep sets of deadlift lately and I can barely stand my back is so sore after my last sets. That's how you know it's working.

If it's sharp pain or some other type of injury soreness that's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
                    I don't know much about foam rolling.
                    On my warm ups I am doing 150lbs for about 8 reps and then 200lbs for about 6-7. Normally it feels ok but yesterday my back felt unusually tight and on my 2nd working set something didn't feel right and I thought it better to stop then to keep going.
                    Sounds like a weak back. If it feels super pumped its just fatigued. If it feels tweaked than probably an injury waiting to happen.
                    No reason to do more than 5 reps on DL, I would sve that for max set.
                    I'd also do some glute activation work before you start and in between sets, it makes a big difference for me.
                    Start doing ab wheels a few times a week, I stopped doing spinal flexion abdominal work and my back has never bee. Better.
                    Would be best for you to film yourself and post it in the deadlift tips section, having a world record holder analyze your DL is better than us.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
                      Sounds like a weak back. If it feels super pumped its just fatigued. If it feels tweaked than probably an injury waiting to happen.
                      No reason to do more than 5 reps on DL, I would sve that for max set.
                      I'd also do some glute activation work before you start and in between sets, it makes a big difference for me.
                      Start doing ab wheels a few times a week, I stopped doing spinal flexion abdominal work and my back has never bee. Better.
                      Would be best for you to film yourself and post it in the deadlift tips section, having a world record holder analyze your DL is better than us.
                      I second spinal flexion.

I love ab wheel and planks
                      [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                      Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Originally posted by mister69 View Post
                        I second spinal flexion.

I love ab wheel and planks
                        I hate both but what can you do. I also do MTN climbers with valslides.

Comment

I tend to get my planks in when I'm doing some scapula push ups before chest and back days (same day as deadlifts, DC order of lifts).

I've also recently added in some core work of the hyperextensions with 3 second holds on each rep and 10 secs on the 10th rep.

Comment

I do have an AB wheel and will play with it. Last time I used it I didn't feel as if it were doing much but I will use it and see what happens.

Usually my back feels good after warmups but this time it seemed as if it were flared a bit. No nerve or spinal pain. My middle and lower back felt as a just steak ready to be tenderized and this was just from 2 warm up sets and this alarmed me because it felt 'different'.

I will take video when I do it again and post it. Last time I did that I was told my stance was not good so I narrowed it. I am 6'1" tall and I wonder if height adds into trouble for a narrowed stance? Or does that matter?

Comment

Doesn't matter an ounce. Usually, in fact, conventional stance is better for a tall person because most wont have the hip/groin flexibility to get into position for sumo.

Comment

Working...
                              X