Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Joe Defranco WSFSB3

Hello all, here is a little background/history:

I'm 19 yo, 6 ft ~195 lbs. Currently cutting until 10% bf (bw 180-185).

Been lifting on/off for ~4 years. Have used a lot of programs, basic 5x5 templates, WSFSB (although I don't think I really followed it properly because I was a noob), 5day BBing splits, 4day BBing splits, etc.

Got more into bodybuilding this past year and learned about lots of principles in that domain, constant tension, time under tension, cycling volume, etc etc. I also finally learned how to use mind muscle connection to concentrate on specific muscle groups, a skill I had always been deficient in.

Anyway I recently got interested in the idea of training more like an athlete with bodybuilding as an afterthought.

For anyone who uses the Westside method or even Defranco's version, what have your experiences been?

also, how should a diet change for an athlete vs. a bodybuilder? also how should nutrition look on off days (no lifting) for an athlete?

Comment

Some goals:

185-190 lbs bodyweight (very low body fat)
      365 ATG Olympic Front Squat
      30+ Wide grip pullups in a row
      DB Rows/Flat Chest Presses @ 120 lb DBs for reps
      36-40" vertical, dunk a basketball

Comment

I really like the WS4SB3, and in general am a fan of the conjugate method overall. I experienced very good progress with the program, and learned a LOT about weak points in my lifts and my strength.

I didn't experience muscle growth (and didn't expect to), but I also used the program in caloric deficit although my macros were tailored for a recomp.
        You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by bmp View Post

Anyway I recently got interested in the idea of training more like an athlete with bodybuilding as an afterthought.

For anyone who uses the Westside method or even Defranco's version, what have your experiences been?
          IMO, biggest difference between training as an athlete vs. bodybuilding is an athlete focuses on movement patterns.

I have used a WSBB method for couple of mesocycles, approximately 3-4 months in length. I enjoyed the results and the opportunities for improving weak points.
          FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
          If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

What do you guys think of this exercise selection?

A. Max Effort Exercise (3-5 reps)
            Weighted Chinups
            B. Supplemental Exercise (2 sets of max reps)
            Low Incline DB Press
            C. Horizontal Pulling/Rear Delt Superset (3-4 sets of 8-12 reps)
            DB Rows w/ Face pulls
            D. Traps (3-4 sets of 8-15 reps)
            Behind the back barbell shrugs
            E. Elbow Flexor Exercise (3-4 sets of 8-15 reps)
            Hammer Curls

A. Jump Training (5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps)
            Box Jumps
            B. Unilateral exercise (w/ added ROM) (2-3 sets of 8-10 reps)
            Bulgarian split squats, front leg elevated (holding DB’s)
            C. Hip extension exercise [3 sets of 8-12 reps]
            Glute-ham raises
            D. Weighted Abdominals (4 sets of 10-15 reps)
            Hanging Leg Raises

A. Repetition Exercise (3 sets of max reps OR 4 sets of 12- 15 reps)
            Pushups
            B. Vertical pulling / Rear delt superset (3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps)
            Wide Grip Pullups w/ Face Pulls
            C. Medial delts (4 sets of 8-12 reps)
            Cable Lateral raises
            D. Traps / Arms superset (3 sets of 8-10 reps)
            Behind the back barbell shrugs w/ Hammer curls
            E. Grip/Forearms (2-3 sets of 2-3 reps)
            plate pinch gripping

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT (max set of 3-5 reps)
            Olympic ATG Front Squat
            B. UNILATERAL MOVEMENT (3 sets of 6-12 reps)
            Step Up holding dumbbells
            C. HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENT (3 sets of 8-12 reps)
            glute ham raises
            D. Ground-based, high-rep abdominal circuit
            sprinter sit-ups, V-ups, toe touches, hip thrusts

Comment

all of the exercises that I selected were options from Defranco's prescribed program. The only exception is my lower body max-effort lift, he did not have Olympic ATG Front Squat as an option, merely "Free Squat" variations which I assume are traditional back squat variations.

Should I change it to something "defranco approved"? My #1 priority as far as lower body is concerned is to increase my vertical jump.

I've heard that snatch grip deadlifts are good for this. Defranco likes to have his athletes do trap bar deadlifts off a 4" box. I wouldn't be opposed to just doing a normal High Bar Olympic ATG squat either.

Basically whatever will help increase my vertical. I've heard that a 2x bodyweight front squat roughly translates to a 40" vertical in someone who has good jumping technique and has trained their reactive strength (kelley baggett, author of vertical jump bible and his followers). Thats why I wanted to do olympic front squats, because its easy for me to hone in on a goal of a 365 lb front squat. But I'll do whatever movement will take me there fastest.

Comment

Forgot to mention my weak/strong points.

Well at 6ft 195 lbs (soon to be more like 185) its hard to have "weak points", because you are kinda small over all, lol.

But i'd say my best two body parts are shoulders and upper legs. Back, chest, arms, etc are all mediocre.

Comment

maybe box squats for lower body max effort movement? those are good for increasing vertical right??

Comment

I prefer DeFranco's "Badass" program over WSFSB, you don't need a very equiped gym to do it and it can be easily customized for "bodybuilding" goals.

But that just me I never did WSFSB
                    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Delta, what do you mean when you say you prefer the Badass program but never tried the WSFSB? Not trying to be a smartass, I'm just wondering what specifically about WSFSB you found to be inferior?

Remember I want to train like an athlete first, bodybuilder second.

Comment

Delta, what do you mean when you say you prefer the Badass program but never tried the WSFSB? Not trying to be a smartass, I'm just wondering what specifically about WSFSB you found to be inferior?

Remember I want to train like an athlete first, bodybuilder second.
                        I've seen this just making a note to respond to this later
                        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

I used WSFSB3. This was during a time when I wasn't really sure where I wanted to take my training and was just looking for something different. In terms of training like an athlete, this is great program. You'll develop speed and strength and reap some good physique benefits as well.

When I did this I was eating around maintenance and gained a little muscle, but mainly hardened up. I did drop some bodyfat and it seemed to provide compete physique development.

As you noted above with the box squats, I used them when I did it and they fit the program's intentions well.
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                            I used WSFSB3. This was during a time when I wasn't really sure where I wanted to take my training and was just looking for something different. In terms of training like an athlete, this is great program. You'll develop speed and strength and reap some good physique benefits as well.

When I did this I was eating around maintenance and gained a little muscle, but mainly hardened up. I did drop some bodyfat and it seemed to provide compete physique development.

As you noted above with the box squats, I used them when I did it and they fit the program's intentions well.
                            Cool, I'll use box squats then as my max effort lower body lift. do you have any comments on the rest of my exercise selection?

Comment

Cool, I'll use box squats then as my max effort lower body lift. do you have any comments on the rest of my exercise selection?
                              It is laid out well. I don't know about you, but I can do a lot of pushups and would be better off doing banded pushups or pushups with your hands in suspended rings (or a TRX) with feet on a bench. In terms of athletics, I like these better because they force you to stabilize yourself in all directions, developing the muscles needed to force away defenders in athletics.
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X