Powerlifting equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerlifting equipment

I know that the power rack is the staple of the powerlifting and strength training regiment. What I have also noticed is the lack of cables and machine work, at least I think anyway. Does cable work and machine work have any place in strength training or powerlifting training? One of the reasons I have held onto my half rack and not go after a full power rack is because powerracks do not have the cable ability if I wanted to do cable rows in what ever form or even cable pushdowns for the triceps.

Please educate me on this. Plus, when it comes to the back and strengthen it what specific exercises should be used to do such if cable exercises are not needed? This is beyond deadlifts and good mornings.

John

I have a Body Solid 4 post rack and the corresponding high and low pulley attachment. Works very well for me, but I've only had 200 total on the low pulley for seated rows. See image below, I have the exact setup.
    Attached Files

Comment

Rowing with barbells and dumbbells is a decent back exercise. You can use bands for stuff too.
      FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
      If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Cables and machines are not necessary but they provide a nice variety.

My gym does not have any of them due to room and cost. If I had more room and money I would buy some machines for assistance work as sometimes they provide great variety
        "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by jjchambers View Post
          I have a Body Solid 4 post rack and the corresponding high and low pulley attachment. Works very well for me, but I've only had 200 total on the low pulley for seated rows. See image below, I have the exact setup.
          That body solid rack looks good but if you did pull downs with them what do you use to keep yourself planted?

My only regret with my rack is that it is only a half rack machine and therefore though I could do freestyle bench and squats I could seriously hurt myself if not within a rack. My rack doesn't support freestyle. It is a basic smith machine with the cable accessories and it also uses standard weights as opposed to Olympic weights though I could get sleeves for that part. I use an ironmaster.

On the subject of cable exercises, in many of the readings I have done on powerlifting lifting and strength training I don't see alot of cable exercises beind down for the back or tri's or anything for that matter. I know it isn't a core exercise but more an auxiliary exercise. Is there a reason why they are not talked about alot?

Comment

...gotta be trolling. Come on man use some logic you are in your 40s but your posts read like a teen.
            Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
            -John Ceasar

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
              That body solid rack looks good but if you did pull downs with them what do you use to keep yourself planted?
              I set my pins at a certain height and put a 2x4 or 2x6 under the pins across the rack so I can get my knees/legs under it to hold me down. Or, I just lean back enough and get my feet up to push against the rack. But I only weigh 210 and haven't gone above 200 on the cables. If I want heavy vertical pulling I do pull ups with weight. The cables are used for mostly higher rep assistance stuff.

J

Comment

Originally posted by jjchambers View Post
                I set my pins at a certain height and put a 2x4 or 2x6 under the pins across the rack so I can get my knees/legs under it to hold me down. Or, I just lean back enough and get my feet up to push against the rack. But I only weigh 210 and haven't gone above 200 on the cables. If I want heavy vertical pulling I do pull ups with weight. The cables are used for mostly higher rep assistance stuff.

J
                Interesting, I never would have thought to do such thing. Great way to think outside of the box on that! Well, now I have something to look to if I decide to get ride of my half rack and go for something which I can do the core lifts freestyle vs. bound by a machine. I often wonder if mine is hindering me in the end even though I don't lift competitive.
                I don't do any vertical pulling for cables, if I do any cables it is carble rows.

Comment

A pm from the guy who has brought you quality threads such a this http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=30405

Originally posted by DEADn
                  All I am doing is asking some questions and if those questions sound like a teenager than you just have to bear with it.

What is your suggestion to make that post sound no so teeny to you?

I don't troll by the way and I know this board is notorious for harassing people who don't 'sound' intelligent so I post here knowing that I could expect something other than plain answers.

I thought you got plain answers and then asked the same question again.

No expert here but lets see which has more carry over to bench press, cable crossover or incline dumbel press? Nautalis pullover machine or heavy ass dumbel rows?

Im certainly not saying machines dont have thier place but I think alot of times it boils down to training economy more bang for buck both in space for equipment as in 53greyst case and in time management....

Any please feel free to correct me if im off base.
                  Last edited by lhart6272; 05-25-2012, 08:49 PM.
                  Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                  -John Ceasar

Comment

Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
                    A pm from the guy who has brought you quality threads such a this http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=30405

I thought you got plain answers and then asked the same question again.

No expert here but lets see which has more carry over to bench press, cable crossover or incline dumbel press? Nautalis pullover machine or heavy ass dumbel rows?

Im certainly not saying machines dont have thier place but I think alot of times it boils down to training economy more bang for buck both in space for equipment as in 53greyst case and in time management....

Any please feel free to correct me if im off base.
                    And I thought a PM was meant to be private? (note to self, becareful who you PM on IM because of posts such as the above)

Beyond good mornings, hypers and probably BB rows name some other execises for the lower back and upper back? I refer to strength training because I know BBing uses cables alot and I AM NEW TO STRENGTH TRAINING thus the reason why I am asking these questions. If they sound teenagerish then so be it. Educate me- don't make fun of me. Hey, isn't there something about that in the rules of the board? Look them up please.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post

And I thought a PM was meant to be private? (note to self, becareful who you PM on IM because of posts such as the above)

Beyond good mornings, hypers and probably BB rows name some other execises for the lower back and upper back? I refer to strength training because I know BBing uses cables alot and I AM NEW TO STRENGTH TRAINING thus the reason why I am asking these questions. If they sound teenagerish then so be it. Educate me- don't make fun of me. Hey, isn't there something about that in the rules of the board? Look them up please.

Try google.
                      http://www.fitlink.com/exercises?typ...body_part=back

http://train.elitefts.net/

I understand this may require a little effort.
                      -John Ceasar

Comment

Hey I'm an over 25 years.I lately got into powerlifting and wish to contend at some point. I'd like to begin exercising in aggressive equipment. What common clothing, go fit brands/sources can you suggest its for trainers? Thanks in advance!

Comment

I know this is an old thread and was just bumped by a fake account ^^ but... that Body Solid rack isn't very good unless you're getting it dirt cheap. Better to pay a bit more and get something of commercial use quality.
                          PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

i wouldn't trust anything by body solid. At our old gym, my fiance tweaked her back doing squats with 135lb and complained the weight felt uneven. So, i put one "45" on the bodyweight scale... 45lb. the other... 41lb. It looked thinner too. I measured a few and found some 44s, 46s, and a 43. I complained to the owner who touted Body Solid as a "good brand" and then said the scale "must be off" even though he just installed it a month prior.

...damn I'm glad to have moved on from that hell hole.

Comment

I read a review of a 'York Fitness' (they are the, far inferior, European version of York Barbell) 20kg/44lb plate weighing 54lbs. That would be reasonable for a 25kger to weigh that!

Usually shit plates fit the bar like a wizards sleeve vagina too. Massive hole.
                              PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Working...
                              X