Power partials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power partials

Has anyone here trained with heavy partials before?

Something like in:
    http://www.strongerman.com/articles/...ance-training/

Your link did not work for me but I previously trained "Power Factor Training" just to see if it worked.

That involves short range partials (in the strongest section of the range of motion)and I did increase my strength in that short range. I kept my muscle on. I trained very infrequently ie about 2 days a month. But also found it hard on the joints and did not carry over at all to full range. I also think it too taxing on your system.

I did it for close to a year I believe but would have to try dig out my journals.

Can you cut and paste the specific article to let us read it.
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

Comment

They might work, but probably only in combination with full ROM shit. Jamie Lewis over at ChAos & Pain does heavy partials and swears by them. As did Brooks Kubik and Ted Arcidi (who believed they strengthened tendons).

Me, I'm not so sure. They might help in a way that they strengthen a weak muscular point (rack pulls in the case of making your back stronger and bigger and thus making you a better deadlifter, for instance). But doing a quarter squat with 1000lbs on your back just doesn't seem useful. Works for some people apparently though.
      Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Here is the link.

It works if you do it properly and do not let your ego get in the way. This means you can not completely and fully train with partial reps. There has to be other work done.
        FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
        If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Seeing as this was not posted in the strongman/powerlifting forum, I'll add, for bodybuilding, power partials are awesome. I use them for laterals. I feel like my traps want to do more of the work when I do laterals parallel to the floor, so I cut out the traps from the equation by going heavier and not going as high.

I've seen the likes of Jason Huh and Dusty Hanshaw do these. I also believe John Meadows also recommends these but for the rear delt.
          Max Muscle
          5020 Katella Ave.
          Los Alamitos, CA 90720
          www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
            Seeing as this was not posted in the strongman/powerlifting forum, I'll add, for bodybuilding, power partials are awesome. I use them for laterals. I feel like my traps want to do more of the work when I do laterals parallel to the floor, so I cut out the traps from the equation by going heavier and not going as high.

I've seen the likes of Jason Huh and Dusty Hanshaw do these. I also believe John Meadows also recommends these but for the rear delt.
            I've seen Dusty do them in a video....def seem like they could cause some soreness...lol
            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post

Isn't that more of a restricting ROM to hit a muscle thing though (which I guess is a partial)? Good example is a lot of bodybuilders only going to about ear level on DB presses because they wanna work their delts. Yates was a big fan of doing movements that way ("only go to mid shin on deadlifts because I wanna work my back", that type of thinking).

Not sure if that's the same thing as the type of partials that the article is referring to which seems to be more of a "getting used to the weight" thing, seeing as the author recommends to progressively decrease the distance until you're doing the full ROM lift.

The opposite works very well too though, e.g. making a lift harder. Best example I can give is pause squats I guess (รก la Ed Coan), I've started doing these and it builds serious confidence and strength in the hole and makes regular squats look (and feel) easy by comparison. You can't really do pause deadlifts though but pulling from a deficit gives you a similar carryover.
              Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

I think the 2 most brilliant people in bodybuilding are Dante and Phil Hernon. I have seen Hernon (and some of his trainees) saying on PM that they never do full reps, just partial ranges of the movement (and not the same range everytime). That is a totally different ballgame though I guess then holds or partials for powerlifting.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the inputs!
                  Sorry about the link and thank you John for putting up the working link.

I'm going to google Jamie Lewis, Phil Hernon, Brooks Kubik and Ted Arcidi to see how they incorporated those partials.

Just to clear it up- I posted this in reference to increasing the squat rather than from a bodybuilding perspective. My mistake. Is there a way I can move this thread without deleting anything that you guys have already posted ?

Comment

My 1RM is 285.
                    Is this how I would incorporate them in my squat workout??
                    This is what I did today:

Full Squat: (5 reps each set)
                    45 lbs
                    275 lbs X 1 rep

Partials:
                    315lbs x 10
                    365lbs x 10,10,10

Full Squats:
                    135lbs x 5,5,5

Leg presses (last set 450 x 5),
                    Good Mornings (last set 95 x 5),
                    Leg curls (last set 180 x 5),
                    Calves (last set 450 x 5),
                    Hanging leg raises.

Comment

@Moderator: Thank you for moving this thread.

For all the powerlifters:
                      Summary- I want to use power partials as detailed in:
                      http://www.strongerman.com/articles/...ance-training/
                      Please check the post above for my current squat session. Is it OK? anything I need to modify?

Comment

Working...
                      X