X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempt Selection

So I've read a few articles on this and this is what I've found:

First Attempt: general guidance is ~90% of 1RM

Second Attempt: Some recommend 95-98% of 1RM while others go for as heavy as they know they can get - a lift they've made in training

Third Attempt: PR - 1RM +5lbs on BP, no more +10lbs on SQ/DL

My best lifts in the gym are 495 SQ, 350 BP, and 600 DL - based on that what should I go with for my 2nd attempts... these lifts that I've made or 98% of these?

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

1) I deleted the duplicate thread.

2) My advice would be make your openers numbers that you can hit any time, any where. Second attempts should be a little challenging, but lifts you've made before (like a gym best). Then for 3rd attempt just go balls-out.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Agreed on opener being something you can do, even on a day when you feel trashy. I think second attempts should be dependent upon openers. If #1 flies up then make a decent jump based upon your confidence level. If it is pretty slow look to be a bit more conservative.
      FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
      If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys!

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

I agree with JC and SAMMICH if it is your first or second meet, if it isn't then 2nd attempts should be pr's providing your openers weren't garbage and you are having an off day
          For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

There are many variables when it comes to attempts. I coach about 10 people and call all of their attempts at meets. I handle each lifters attempts differently from their openers to their thirds, and what jumps in between.

Remember that anything can happen on meet day, got to be prepared and roll with it. Everything might be feeling awesome and light, everything might be feeling like shit and heavy. That is why I generally suggest only having guidelines in mind for your second and third attempts as meet day adjustments are almost always a given. The only number you can really set for certain prior to the meet is your opener. Your opener should be something you could hit if you didn't sleep and had the flu, especially if lifting raw.

Different lifters have different strategy's. Some will hit their opener then go for a 5 lb PR on their second and if they get that go absolutely crazy for a third.

Wendler suggests:

1st- 85% of goal
            2nd- 92.5% of goal
            3rd- 100% of goal

If this is your first meet, I would not base anything but your opener off your gym lifts. This first meet will set your numbers going forward for PR's. Every lift you hit at this meet (if your first) will be a PR. Hit easy openers then adjust from there depending on how each attempt goes. It is impossible to duplicate meet conditions in the gym in terms of adrenaline, atmosphere, nerves and also judges.

What meet are you doing?
            Last edited by 53greystreet; 05-10-2012, 11:32 PM.
            "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
              There are many variables when it comes to attempts. I coach about 10 people and call all of their attempts at meets. I handle each lifters attempts differently from their openers to their thirds, and what jumps in between.

Remember that anything can happen on meet day, got to be prepared and roll with it. Everything might be feeling awesome and light, everything might be feeling like shit and heavy. That is why I generally suggest only having guidelines in mind for your second and third attempts as meet day adjustments are almost always a given. The only number you can really set for certain prior to the meet is your opener. Your opener should be something you could hit if you didn't sleep and had the flu, especially if lifting raw.

Different lifters have different strategy's. Some will hit their opener then go for a 5 lb PR on their second and if they get that go absolutely crazy for a third.

Wendler suggests:

1st- 85% of goal
              2nd- 92.5% of goal
              3rd- 100% of goal

If this is your first meet, I would not base anything but your opener off your gym lifts. This first meet will set your numbers going forward for PR's. Every lift you hit at this meet (if your first) will be a PR. Hit easy openers then adjust from there depending on how each attempt goes. It is impossible to duplicate meet conditions in the gym in terms of adrenaline, atmosphere, nerves and also judges.

What meet are you doing?
              Damn, great post. I wanna save that for my first meet.

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post

Wendler suggests:

1st- 85% of goal
                2nd- 92.5% of goal
                3rd- 100% of goal

What meet are you doing?
                Thanks for the detailed post!

I'm doing an SPF meet in WA state this coming Saturday - it was called the SPF Iron Quest... that one was cancelled but another took it's place on the same day and at the same place and they're calling it SPF Salvage Wars - whatever, all the same to me as long as I have a meet to lift in.

I've recently hit triples of 455 SQ, 320 BP, and 550 DL - I was planning on using these as my openers and will take your advice on determining my 2nd and 3rd depending on how I feel and how everything goes on the day of the meet.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                X