Prep for First PL Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prep for First PL Meet

I've never competed in powerlifting before, but I have recently started turning an eye to doing a meet. I've been training for years (sports, primarily football), but have never specifically trained for the big 3 without doing loads of accessory work. My question is; if you have a solid training and nutrition plan in place, how long would you prep before your first meet?

I see there are a few local meets in August and October, I'm just unsure how long to give myself before taking a crack at it.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

3 weeks.
    FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Well fuck, that was easy.

Comment

While JC is conservative, I say 6-8 weeks for peaking and a 4 week prep phase with higher volume proceeding it.
        For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
          While JC is conservative, I say 6-8 weeks for peaking and a 4 week prep phase with higher volume proceeding it.
          When choosing a meet and a timeline, is it best to just say "fuck it', pick one and commit regardless of where I think I should be?

I'm sure if I 'wait until I'm strong enough', I'll never show up. There's a local meet in August, which was the one I thought I might prep for. I probably just need to commit, show up, and see what the hell happens.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
            When choosing a meet and a timeline, is it best to just say "fuck it', pick one and commit regardless of where I think I should be?

I'm sure if I 'wait until I'm strong enough', I'll never show up. There's a local meet in August, which was the one I thought I might prep for. I probably just need to commit, show up, and see what the hell happens.
            YES SIGN UP AND GO DO IT, best thing you'll ever do
            For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
              YES SIGN UP AND GO DO IT, best thing you'll ever do
              I'll do this. Meet is 8/25, I'll keep an eye on the event details to see when registration opens.

Do or do not, there is no try.

Comment

Good mentality. good luck during your prep

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
                  Good mentality. good luck during your prep
                  Thanks!

I've started the 5/3/1 for training, and I plan to follow both the lifting and conditioning protocols from there. I'm working with Skip on diet, so I'm solid there as well. The only as yet unproven variable is myself.

After my deload I'll start a prep log. Props to moco for helping inspire me to do this.

Comment

Thanks!

I've started the 5/3/1 for training, and I plan to follow both the lifting and conditioning protocols from there. I'm working with Skip on diet, so I'm solid there as well. The only as yet unproven variable is myself.

After my deload I'll start a prep log. Props to moco for helping inspire me to do this.
                    Good luck! I'll be sure to follow along.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

I've never competed in powerlifting before, but I have recently started turning an eye to doing a meet. I've been training for years (sports, primarily football), but have never specifically trained for the big 3 without doing loads of accessory work. My question is; if you have a solid training and nutrition plan in place, how long would you prep before your first meet?

I see there are a few local meets in August and October, I'm just unsure how long to give myself before taking a crack at it.
                      For your first meet, find something reasonably close, sign up and have fun. There will never be a perfect time for anyone to do their first meet so the best thing to do is get it done as soon as possible so you can start building off of it and smashing PR's.
                      "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

When I first started I was training with some powerlifters, I trained for six months and did a meet. Was hooked every since. The way the guys I trained with was not that great of a training style but it didn't matter, eventually I learned from reading, talking and trial and error. Your first meet just gives you a taste. It should be the least in lifts and total you will ever do. You'll keep learning, experimenting, growing and getting stronger. Just get a taste and get hooked.
                        2011 USAPL Arnold Raw SHW 1st Place
                        2010 USAPL Arnold Raw SHW 1st Place
                        2009 USAPL RAW National Champion ( SHW )
                        2008 USAPL Arnold Raw SHW 1st Place

Proudly Sponsored by West Cary Barbell

Comment

Working...
                        X