Conquering the deadlift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conquering the deadlift

I have been working through the 5/3/1 method during the last 10 weeks and my deadlift reps when down alot. Last week I lifted 260lbs for 6 reps. This week I did 270lbs for 4 reps.

What exercises can be use to help strength the back in order to break through and grow the muscles? My assistance exercises were some good mornings and some 5 sets of rack deads for about 8 reps. Tonight I did quarter deads. I lifted the bar up about 1-2 feet and put it back down. I feel like my initial lifting pointing is my weak point and I have seen that it is a weak point for most lifters. I did 5 x 8 on this exercise just looking to see if it will help strengthen my weak spot.

I am doing this right or is there something else I should be doing? I lift at home and not in a gym.

Your deadlift reps should actually be increasing with 5/3/1. Do you lift 10% under your max?

I find block pulls help me tremendously.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: MUSCLEHOUSE

:llama:

Comment

what are block pulls?

I noticed that this week has been a down week for me in the 5/3/1. Maybe it is a freak week for me? I have done bench and deadlifts. Thursday and Friday will be military press and squats.

I don't want to use any wrist wraps in the deadlift but my grip slipped and I had to regrip and switched grips and my back refused to pull so I stopped. I don't want to injury myself through it.

Comment

I googled the block pulls. They look like a version of rack deadlifts. I think if I would have done those today I will have gotten 7-8 reps in there. Don't you cheat your back though by doing those vs. starting from the floor position? I am new to strength and powerlifting and am just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
          what are block pulls?

I noticed that this week has been a down week for me in the 5/3/1. Maybe it is a freak week for me? I have done bench and deadlifts. Thursday and Friday will be military press and squats.

I don't want to use any wrist wraps in the deadlift but my grip slipped and I had to regrip and switched grips and my back refused to pull so I stopped. I don't want to injury myself through it.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8q5z...eature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r78tQ...3&feature=plcp

You shouldn't need wrist wrap for that weight. Make sure your hands are covered with chalk??

You need to be more explosive, doing the exercises above will help you become more explosive off the floor.

Do band pulls for lockout or rack pulls.

DONT USE STRAPS.

Comment

I googled the block pulls. They look like a version of rack deadlifts. I think if I would have done those today I will have gotten 7-8 reps in there. Don't you cheat your back though by doing those vs. starting from the floor position? I am new to strength and powerlifting and am just asking.
            Rack is for lockout. Block pulls are for the bottom lift. If you don't have bottom power, you wont lockout because you will be using all your power trying to lockout. There's a few seconds you have to do the lift.

Comment

Originally posted by burger View Post
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8q5z...eature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r78tQ...3&feature=plcp

You shouldn't need wrist wrap for that weight. Make sure your hands are covered with chalk??

You need to be more explosive, doing the exercises above will help you become more explosive off the floor.

Do band pulls for lockout or rack pulls.

DONT USE STRAPS.
              If you are trying to make a point, why did you link 2 completely different pulls.

One is more like a rack pull the second is a deficit pull. One will help his lockout, the other will help the power from the floor.

Comment

OP, try BBB assistance. Lose the rack pulls for now.

Comment

Have you got a vid? Might be a form issue, also have you made any changes diet wise? Eating under/over maintenance? If you think off the floor is your weakness then consider deficit dead lifts. Or did you just have an 'off' day?
                  Originally posted by thsfootball
                  Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic

Comment

Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                    If you are trying to make a point, why did you link 2 completely different pulls.

One is more like a rack pull the second is a deficit pull. One will help his lockout, the other will help the power from the floor.
                    Your wrong. Both help on the bottom. NOT lockout.

You want a good lockout exercise??? work with deadlifts with bands.

Comment

Originally posted by daneoz View Post
                      Have you got a vid? Might be a form issue, also have you made any changes diet wise? Eating under/over maintenance? If you think off the floor is your weakness then consider deficit dead lifts. Or did you just have an 'off' day?
                      I haven't made much changes in diet though I do need to up the protein a bit. I have a sit down job and so I don't always get hungry but when I eat and snack I try to stick to protein sources.

I think my issue is from the floor up the first foot or so. Even in times past I felt pretty strong on the lock out but when I am pull from the floor is where I have found struggle.

I don't know if it was an off day or not. I would hope it was an off day. I did good in my other 3 lifts so they were not off. I do know that when I did my deads, mentally I was about 80% there even after play intense muscle to get it in my head.

Comment

Burger

You mentioned using chalk for the grip. I am wondering about the fat gripz if that would work just as good? Chalk tends to be messy and I have my gym set up in a spare bedroom that has some carpet in it. If that gets in the carpet my wife will have a fit-forget the indentions in the carpet from the weights, lol.

btw, I have a long legged individual and stand 6'1" and I am wonder if this is beginning to come into play with deadlifts? My squats may also have issues soon as well- I use a half rack for squats vs free form and I wonder how much of a problem that is presenting.

Comment

Originally posted by burger View Post
                          Your wrong. Both help on the bottom. NOT lockout.

You want a good lockout exercise??? work with deadlifts with bands.
                          Don't listen to burger. He hasn't made one valid point. If you're weak off the floor work deficits which are pulling with the bar lower than normal. Weak lockout work rack pulls or some kind of a quad exercise. Fat grips won't help your grip, it'll make your weights drop a ton. Your options are to chalk up, use wrist wraps and work grip with other shot till its not an issue, or just nutting up till its not an issue.
                          Search deadlift tips and read the whole thread, you'll learn a ton about the deadlift.

Comment

Burger

You mentioned using chalk for the grip. I am wondering about the fat gripz if that would work just as good? Chalk tends to be messy and I have my gym set up in a spare bedroom that has some carpet in it. If that gets in the carpet my wife will have a fit-forget the indentions in the carpet from the weights, lol.

btw, I have a long legged individual and stand 6'1" and I am wonder if this is beginning to come into play with deadlifts? My squats may also have issues soon as well- I use a half rack for squats vs free form and I wonder how much of a problem that is presenting.
                            No. Fat Gripz/Fat Bars etc. help with grip but I wouldn't use them for your 5/3/1 routine. You can use them for an accessory- Andy Bolton works on grip a lot.

If you are long legged, the bar takes longer to travel to lockout position. You need to work on both bottom (FOCUS) and lockout. You should maybe try sumo deadlift.

Try assessing your 1 rm on squat with a full squat.

Comment

I have been working through the 5/3/1 method during the last 10 weeks and my deadlift reps when down alot. Last week I lifted 260lbs for 6 reps. This week I did 270lbs for 4 reps.

What exercises can be use to help strength the back in order to break through and grow the muscles? My assistance exercises were some good mornings and some 5 sets of rack deads for about 8 reps. Tonight I did quarter deads. I lifted the bar up about 1-2 feet and put it back down. I feel like my initial lifting pointing is my weak point and I have seen that it is a weak point for most lifters. I did 5 x 8 on this exercise just looking to see if it will help strengthen my weak spot.

I am doing this right or is there something else I should be doing? I lift at home and not in a gym.
                              How much do you weigh? I dont think you need rack pulls or Deficit pulls with those numbes.

Its most likely a form issue, post up a video. Also post it in the "Deadlifts Tips" thread and one of the greatest deadlifters on this site will critique your form.

Good luck!
                              How long can you go without believing in YOURSELF, before you are officially dead!

This isn't "Tea-Time Relaxy-Muscle", this is INTENSE Muscle. Bring something to the table or don't fucking show up. - Sammich

Comment

Working...
                              X