Phoenix Meet Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Meet Results

Finally a meet here in Phoenix that we are not actually running so my lifters got to compete locally and save $600 in travel expenses.

The meet was run by Urban Strength & Fitness. Blaine Stussy and his team did an excellent job.

I will start with our newest lifter, a 132 female who is very strong. Lifting raw. The one mistake at the meet happened to her but these things happen, got to roll with it. We warmed up to 155 on the squat and had the opener set at an easy 182. She unracks strong, drops down and stops half way up and her chest drops, no lift. There is zero chance of me picking an opener that is too heavy for one of my lifters, especially raw so I was very perplexed. Luckily our Elite 220 is a rocket scientist (literally) and he calculated the mis load right away. And it was not a small mis load, it was 20KG too heavy!!! So I got her head right and after a few lifters went she took her real opener and destroyed it. Next she crushed 204. Then for her third we went to 220, she dropped all the way down to the floor and could not complete the lift. She has only been with us for a month. We have made some great technique changes but still have work to do. Once I have her hit a full training cycle of all the phases and continue to dial in her technique her lifts are going to explode. No bonus points for squatting 4 inches below parallel. This was only her second meet, she has a PR of 215 so we will blow by that very soon.

Bench she destroyed 176 for a 22 lb PR and Junior National record. We have made some massive corrections to her technique.

For deadlift we have made some minor improvements but still have work to do. She was able to pull 286 for a 5 lb PR

Total 666 which was a 16 lb PR and another Junior National Record. We have our sights set on the Womens Pro/Am in November at Supertraining.

===============

Next up is another new lifter. A raw 308, a big boy who is going to unleash some serious damage if he sticks with it. When he started with us 2 months ago his technique was atrocious. I mean I would not even let him go above 2 plates on the squat, it was fucking terrible. Well we fixed it and he had a freaking awesome day. His second meet as well.

Squat, 462 for a 62 lb PR. He will crush 500+ after hitting all the phases of training for his next meet.
    Bench, 325 for a 10 lb PR, his bench technique was the same as squat. Disgusting and now it is good. He listens well
    Deadlift of 435 for a 5 lb PR. We were not able to train pulls much as his job prevents him from being here during the week so we have a lot of work to do on his technique

1222 Total for a 77 lb PR. It does not get any better than getting all 4 PR's on one day

=================

Next is another newer lifting to the team but he has prior competition experience in raw and single ply meets. This was his first meet in big boy gear. He is a strength coach so it was hard for him to turn the reins over to me but he is very happy he did.

Squat he owned 804 which set a new Junior National record beating another guy on my team by 99 lbs.

Bench he hit a nice 540 which was a 17 lb PR and another new Junior National record beating the same guy on my team by 39 lbs. Good motivation for our other Junior 242.

Deadlift, ahhhh he needed 595 for his Elite total. He pulled 529 on opener but came up so fast he fell over. We had to retake as we could not lose the bench and squat records. This gave him one crack at 595 and it was not to be on this day. He gave it everything he had. He will go well over Elite at his next meet and even approach the Pro Total

=======================

Our 181 lifter has lifted raw up to this point and has put up solid totals, this was his first meet in gear and he performed at a very high level.

Squat, 600. The highest we went in training was 535, he was spot on.
    Bench, a very ugly 402. He did just about everything wrong but somehow pressed and locked it out.
    Deadlift, 551 which moved very well.

We have a solid baseline of numbers now to smash PR's off. He went 9 for 9 so by rule I have to kick my own ass. I have vowed to never let one of my lifters go 9 for 9 as it means we did not go heavy enough. With that said I know I called him very close to 100% efficient. On the squats he prolly could have hit 620, he did not have another pound on bench and on pulls he had 562 in him.

==========================

Our Elite 220 did not have the day we needed. We are dialing him in for a Pro Total of 2050. Current PR of 2000.

Squats were moving well which started the day off right. He hit a nice 810. He came up with 832 which would have been a PR but he jumped my up call and was 1/2 inch high. Oh well the Pro total was still within reach at this point.

Bench ended the Pro hopes, only getting his opener of 501
    Deadlift, opener only again of 573

He has hit PR's for 2 years straight so we are not worried at all. A couple of tweaks and the Pro Total will fall

============================

One interesting note is I was lifting off on bench for a guy who used to train with us and on his third attempt he pressed the weight up and it fell back and was falling on his face (at this point there is absolutely nothing a lifter can do). I jumped and caught the bar about an inch from his face. I saw in his eyes he thought he had just died and he went very pale. He was very appreciative, hahaha

We then went to dinner where my team bought me dinner which was very nice of them. I am very proud of all of them

I think during squats I sweat more than any of them wrapping so many damn knees, hahaha
    "You need never feel broken again"

Nice write up, now when do you get to compete? I'm sure they are all appreciative and it's great you help out
    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Nice write up and congrats to all the lifters, particularly to the lady. A year just seems so darn far away...
      #docswholift
      PGY-1 FM
      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I didn't even realize there was a meet out here..WTF

Congrats on all the accomplishments.

Where is your gym?

Comment

I'm in el paso and have been interested in doing a lower leek meet soon. Reading this reminds me I have a long way to go.

Comment

Thanks all

DCB, I have taken a step back from competing and am focusing on coaching right now. Our team is growing and we have 8-10 people here on weekends. All the nagging injuries I have keep impeding progress. I am still training, simply not prepping for a meet.

Nexa, we will be competing at the August Pro/am as well. I mentioned the SuperTraining meet as it is one of 2 Women only Pro meets, both are fantastic events.

Imprez, we are in Peoria, please PM me for more details

Big Ross, find a meet and enter one, that is really all I can say. There will never be the perfect time. It will be fun regardless of what you lift and it will give you a baseline set of numbers to hit PR's off.

Comment

Hrm. Gotta play it by ear as the school thing takes precedence.

I have no idea where Peoria is, but perhaps we can check it out when I swing through that state in a month or two... imprezivr6?!?! :sporty:
              #docswholift
              PGY-1 FM

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                Hrm. Gotta play it by ear as the school thing takes precedence.

I have no idea where Peoria is, but perhaps we can check it out when I swing through that state in a month or two... imprezivr6?!?! :sporty:
                Peoria is kinda out there. I guess it depends what time you get out this way. Let's be real here, lifting is cool and all but it can't cut into cake time. Lol

Comment

Awesome write-up! I did the meet is Prescott the week before this meet, otherwise I would have been there. Do you guys plan on running it again next year, and if so, will it be around the same time?

Congrats to all of your lifters

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
                    Thanks all

DCB, I have taken a step back from competing and am focusing on coaching right now. Our team is growing and we have 8-10 people here on weekends. All the nagging injuries I have keep impeding progress. I am still training, simply not prepping for a meet.
                    Very cool, hear you on the nagging injury side. Getting ready to break my gear cherry shortly
                    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by inkaddict View Post
                      Awesome write-up! I did the meet is Prescott the week before this meet, otherwise I would have been there. Do you guys plan on running it again next year, and if so, will it be around the same time?

Congrats to all of your lifters
                      Thanks man

We did not run the meet. Urban Strength & Fitness ran the meet

Their next meet is planned for October I believe in Phoenix, part of the big Europa Supershow

Where do you train?

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                        Peoria is kinda out there. I guess it depends what time you get out this way. Let's be real here, lifting is cool and all but it can't cut into cake time. Lol

I'm sure I know exactly how to convince my brother to stay for a minute out there mwahaha.

Plus, it is my birthday. I am crossing state lines for this cake. I owe my lifting and diet coaches a round of drinks.

Wait - 53greystreet does your gym have a pool by chance? Please say no.
                        #docswholift
                        PGY-1 FM

Comment

Great write-up here 53. Sounds like your folks had a pretty good day. The more I hear about these meets and results (along with comraderie, which is much different than the BB scene), the more I want to take a look at PL. Might be something I try next year, after this prep.

-slide
                          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
                            Thanks man

We did not run the meet. Urban Strength & Fitness ran the meet

Their next meet is planned for October I believe in Phoenix, part of the big Europa Supershow

Where do you train?
                            Oh ok, I'll have to make it out there in October then.

I train in my house in Gilbert with the basics, bench/cage/bars and a platform

Comment

Working...
                            X